All Things "Top 5" Thread (Movies, TV Shows, Cities, Countries, Actors, Beers, Restaurants, Athletes, Sporting Events etc.)

No official order and not based on looks only. Goddesses of rock..
Carol Van Dyk
Fiona Apple
Kim Shattuck
Beth Orton
PJ Harvey
MVP: Miki Berenyi of Lush

Bonus looker: Baby Spice.

This reminds me of your fandom of Kim Shattuck. I assume you knew about the last Muffs album that came out shortly after her death? Glad I got it but man it was tough reading Ronnie and Roy talk about getting it made.

This reminds me of your fandom of Kim Shattuck. I assume you knew about the last Muffs album that came out shortly after her death? Glad I got it but man it was tough reading Ronnie and Roy talk about getting it made.
Yep. Definately a dark cloud seeped in that album.

My bad, the queen of the 90s rock goddesses...Kim Gordon.

No official order and not based on looks only. Goddesses of rock..
Carol Van Dyk
Fiona Apple
Kim Shattuck
Beth Orton
PJ Harvey
MVP: Miki Berenyi of Lush

Bonus looker: Baby Spice.
You want to know how to confuse an adolescent Nokomis? Roger Taylor actually looks pretty good in that schoolgirl getup in Queen's promotional shoot for I Want to Break Free.

1593700042555.png

Top 5 things I heard on U2 radio Day 1 (Sirius/XM)

1. The Edge conversation with David Byrne / Just very interesting and thought provoking on many levels about song construction, lyrics, social issues et al. The did play One on this show, which I have shared my opinion on previously, but I was ok with it given the context.

2. Matthew McConaughey guest DJ / Sort of a cross between Billy Graham & Lester Bangs. Not sure whether to prey, laugh, applaud or join him in whatever he is partaking in. Heavy dose of Rattle & Hum included. He also worked in some often overlooked tracks from Joshua Tree, Side 2 such as One Tree Hill.

3. Fan DJ spots (Desire) / Very heart felt. There was a woman from Boston whose 5 song set was quite emotional. She was a young kid whose mother got her hooked on the band in the 80s. The mom has since passed.

4. Hearing the other artists they have been influenced by.

5. Live stuff. Could use more of that. Maybe they are building more of a catalog to present, though I doubt they will go the Pearl Jam Radio route which plays more than 50% from shows.

Last edited:

TV shows based on what is on here when we eat and use a laptop.

1. Sister Wives
2. Ice Road Truckers
3. Cheaters
4. Highway Thru Hell
5. 90 Day Fiance (reruns)

Extra mention:

Some guys shooting gators who probably own more than one banjo.

Jessy Greene lived above one of my oldest friends place in NE Mpls before she went on tour with the Foo Fighters I want to say. I have a good story if we ever meet about her "accent". I don't want to do it online.

I just heard Tonya Donelly on the radio a few minutes ago. She definitely deserves to be on any list.

Listening to Velocity Girl right now. I always liked Sarah Shannon. She's a dark horse pick.
"Simpatico" is worth a listen just for Shannon's vocal performance.

Top 5 Minor Characters in TV Comedy History:

1. Jean-Ralphio Saperstein, Parks & Rec
2. Kenneth Parcell, 30 Rock
3. Little Sebastian, Parks & Rec
4. Newman, Seinfeld
5. Kevin Malone, The Office

Just Missed the Cut: Troy McClure, The Simpsons

Go Gophers!!

4. Newman, Seinfeld

Go Gophers!!

I will go with:

1. Col Flagg - MASH
2. Marty Funkhauser - Curb Your Enthusiasm
3. Richard Splett- VEEP
4. Sue Ann Nivens - The Mary Tyler Moore Show
5. Harry the Hat - Cheers

Top 5 Minnesota Sporting Events I've Attended

1. 1997 Gophers Final Four vs Kentucky
2. 2019 Gopher football win over Penn State
3. 2004 Game 7, Timberwolves over Kings, best game in franchise history, randomly sat next to Ope3 in the very last row of the Target Center
4. 1997 Gopher basketball win over Indiana, after the game the Big Ten trophy was presented
5. 2019 Minnesota Vikings playoff win over the Saints

Go Gophers!!

Top 5 Minnesota Sporting Events I've Attended Involving local teams

1. 1987 Twins Post-Season run. Had to combine these otherwise, this would make-up the whole list. Starting with the regular season Dome finale vs the Royals, this was just a blast including, Gaetti's 2 HRs vs the Tigers in ALCS Game 1, rally at the Dome after beating the Tigers, Baylor's HR & Hrbek's Grand Slam in WS Game 6, followed by the Game 7 win.

2. 2002 Gopher Hockey NCAA Title over Maine. They tied it in the final minute and won in OT.
3. 2009 Twins Game 163 win AL Central over the Tigers.
4. 2019 Gopher football win over Penn State.
5. 2004 Game 7, Timberwolves over Kings, best game in franchise history, randomly sat next to Bleed in the very last row of the Target Center

Top 5 Minnesota Sporting Events I've Attended Not Involving Gophers or local Pro Franchises

1. 2016 Ryder Cup Day 1
2. 2003 NCAA Regional Final Marquette over Kentucky, D-Wade with a Triple Double (randomly sat next to HolyMan, Tom Tolbert and Mike Tirico)
3. 2019 NCAA Final Virginia over Texas Tech in OT
4. 2002 & 2009 PGA Championships - went to Thursday & Saturday rounds both times. Tiger Woods finished runner-up both times to Rich Beem and YE Yang respectively.
5. Any Boys State High School Hockey Tournament when it was still 1 Class.

4. Newman, Seinfeld

Go Gophers!!
Really, every character on Parks & Rec is hilarious. Here are Top 5 minor characters:

1. Kyle
2. Councilman Jamm
3. Craig Middlebrooks
4. Perd Hapley
5. Ethel Beavers

Also, casting Christie Brinkley as Jerry's wife is just perfect.

I will go with:

1. Col Flagg - MASH
3. Richard Splett- VEEP
Between you and Bleed, you’ve covered this extremely well, but here’s 5 more worthy minor characters:
Mr. Riley-Bob Newhart Show (the whole therapy group, for that matter)
Jackie Chiles -Seinfeld
Frank Jr. Jr.-Friends
Todd-Scrubs
Tammy 2-Parks & Rec

Really, every character on Parks & Rec is hilarious. Here are Top 5 minor characters:

1. Kyle
2. Councilman Jamm
3. Craig Middlebrooks
4. Perd Hapley
5. Ethel Beavers

Also, casting Christie Brinkley as Jerry's wife is just perfect.
Jamm is the man!

Between you and Bleed, you’ve covered this extremely well, but here’s 5 more worthy minor characters:
Mr. Riley-Bob Newhart Show (the whole therapy group, for that matter)
Jackie Chiles -Seinfeld
Frank Jr. Jr.-Friends
Todd-Scrubs
Tammy 2-Parks & Rec

Great call on Jackie Chiles, even better on Mr Riley.

Frank Jr is good too. Marlo Thomas & Teri Garr as Rachel & Phoebe's mothers respectively were also fantastic, but they weren't in many episodes. Casting Garr was absolutely perfect.

I will go with:

1. Col Flagg - MASH
3. Richard Splett- VEEP

Great call on Colonel Flagg. No idea who that actor was but he was brilliant.

5 favorite SCTV "shows":

1. The Great White North
2. Half Wits
3. The Sammy Maudlin Show
4. The Fishin' Musician
5. Mel's Rock Pile

Mel's Rock Pile was tremendous. OTE="Ope3, post: 2035309, member: 690"]
5 favorite SCTV "shows":

1. The Great White North
2. Half Wits
4. The Fishin' Musician
5. Mel's Rock Pile
[/QUOTE]
Mel's Rock Pile was amazing.

Half Wits: "The Beatles?"

5 Great SNL skits/ads:

1. Chippendales
2. Sinatra Group
3. First Citywide Change Bank
4. Colon Blow
5. Metro Card Interbank System

5 favorite SCTV "shows":

1. The Great White North
2. Half Wits
4. The Fishin' Musician
5. Mel's Rock Pile

SCTV once took an old episode of the "Cisco Kid" TV show and re-dubbed it. I have never laughed so hard in my life. (I may or may not have been smoking something.....)

can't remember the name of the skit, but the two guys reviewing movies with the catch phrase - "Blowed up Real Good!" (I still say that when watching action movies...)

and the one where Bob Hope and Woody Allen tried to collaborate on a movie. "play it again, Bob."

when SCTV was on, it was better than SNL. there, I said it.

SCTV once took an old episode of the "Cisco Kid" TV show and re-dubbed it. I have never laughed so hard in my life. (I may or may not have been smoking something.....)

can't remember the name of the skit, but the two guys reviewing movies with the catch phrase - "Blowed up Real Good!" (I still say that when watching action movies...)

and the one where Bob Hope and Woody Allen tried to collaborate on a movie. "play it again, Bob."

By far.
Farm Film Report blew people up real good. John and Joe played the farmers.
Cisco Kid:

Those were all classics, indeed. I am laughing out loud just thinking about Candy/Flaherty wearing the overalls, "It blew up, REAL GOOD!"

Probably my all time favorite sketch was Bobby Bittman retiring after being upstaged by Ben Vereen. Sammy Maudlin's crew doing a rat pack Oceans 11 parody is also up there. Fred Rogers beating the crap out of Julia Childs on Battle of the PBS Network Stars, pure gold.

Hands down, SCTV was better than SNL. Here's a quick fix:

My Top 5 Black & White movies after 1970. De facto these are all in my lifetime and the choice to forgo color was for style. Any of these are probably at least in my Top 50 movies of all time, period.

1. Young Frankenstein
2. Paper Moon
3. Ed Wood
4. The Man Who Wasn't There
5. Clerks

*Schindler's List is really in a class by itself, so I did not include it.

My Top 5 Black & White movies after 1970. De facto these are all in my lifetime and the choice to forgo color was for style. Any of these are probably at least in my Top 50 movies of all time, period.

1. Young Frankenstein
2. Paper Moon
3. Ed Wood
4. The Man Who Wasn't There
5. Clerks

*Schindler's List is really in a class by itself, so I did not include it.
The Last Picture Show doesn't make the cut?

The Last Picture Show doesn't make the cut?

Great movie, without a doubt, but still outside my personal top 5. I strongly considered it along with Good Night, and Good Luck & Roma.

In retrospect, my list is comedy driven plus a Coen Bros flick which lead to more repeated viewings, that had to impact the rankings.

Great movie, without a doubt, but still outside my personal top 5. I strongly considered it along with Good Night, and Good Luck & Roma.

In retrospect, my list is comedy driven plus a Coen Bros flick which lead to more repeated viewings, that had to impact the rankings.
Understood-your list is very solid, but The Last Picture Show is a top 50 (at least) movie for me-such an incredible trio of movies that Bogdanovich had so early in his career along with Paper Moon and What's Up Doc? There's a recent podcast series by Turner Classic Movies called The Plot Thickens that is all about Bogdanovich's career arc, I found it really compelling.

And your mention of Roma-just watched it this past weekend, what a beautiful film and its resonance was heightened when I read about how the director based the story on his nanny.

Finally, have you seen Down by Law? It's a Jim Jarmusch film with Tom Waits and Roberto Benigni. I wouldn't crack my Top 5, but it was definitely memorable.

And your mention of Roma-just watched it this past weekend, what a beautiful film and its resonance was heightened when I read about how the director based the story on his nanny.

Finally, have you seen Down by Law? It's a Jim Jarmusch film with Tom Waits and Roberto Benigni. I wouldn't crack my Top 5, but it was definitely memorable.

I think Roma should have won the Best Picture over Green Book that year. Green Book is a fine film, I enjoyed it, just not Oscar worthy, in my opinion.

I will have to check out Down by Law. The only Jarmusch films I have seen are Broken Flowers and last year's The Dead Don't Die, and I liked them both.

minor sitcom characters is hard to qualify but i’d go with

senor chang community
nate from the office
barry zuckercorn arrested development
terry reno 911
rickety cricket always sunny

Top Bottom