All Things Tennis 2023

These two will have epic points and matches like this for the next 15 years, can't wait!

Go USA!!

Last edited:

Hopefully this is just Nadal pulling out of this year's French Open, and not a full retirement. As close as the end is for his career due to injuries, I'd hate to see it end this way. Dude is an absolute legend and all around great guy.

Go Nadal!!

Per Axios Sports:

Rafael Nadal announced Thursday that he will miss the French Open because of a lingering hip injury — and that he expects 2024 to be his final season.

Why it matters: Eight months after Roger Federer retired, his longtime friend and rival has acknowledged that he, too, is nearing the end.

The big picture: Nadal's 18-year dominance at the French Open is among the most spectacular achievements in all of sports.

• He's won 14 titles at Roland Garros since his 2005 debut, the most by any player at any major in tennis history.
  • That includes last year's title, which he won on an anesthetized foot.
Wild stat: Nadal has played 115 matches at the French Open and won 112 of them. Preposterous. The "King of Clay," indeed.

State of play: Nadal, 36, had a sensational 2022 campaign that saw him start 20-1 and win two majors. But it's been an injury-plagued struggle as of late.

• He's just 1-3 this season and has dropped seven of his past nine matches.
  • In March, he fell out of the top 10 for the first time since April 2005.
What he's saying: Nadal said he doesn't want to set a date for his return, but he expects to be out for a while as he tries to ramp up for a farewell 2024 season.

• "I am going to stop. I am not going to train," he said Thursday at his tennis academy in Manacor, Spain.
  • "These have been many months with many moments of frustration, and I can handle frustration. But there comes a time when you have to stop."
Go Nadal!!

Pretty quiet first couple of days in Paris, except for Medvedev bowing out in a 5 setter today.

Go USA!!

Per Axios Sports:

An American man hasn't won a Grand Slam since Andy Roddick won the 2003 U.S. Open. That streak won't end in Paris.

Driving the news: All 16 American men in this year's French Open field failed to make it past the third round.
  • Lost in first round: No. 30 Ben Shelton, Brandon Nakashima, Maxime Cressy, Mackenzie McDonald, John Isner, Emilio Nava, Aleksandar Kovacevic, Patrick Kypson, Christopher Eubanks, Michael Mmoh, J.J. Wolf
  • Lost in second round: No. 16 Tommy Paul, No. 24 Seb Korda
  • Lost in third round: No. 9 Taylor Fritz, No. 12 Frances Tiafoe, Marcos Giron
Wild stat: No American man has reached the French Open quarterfinals since Andre Agassi in 2003, and just four have reached the fourth round.

Of note … American women haven't fared much better in Paris this year. Just three of 18 reached the fourth round (No. 6 Coco Gauff, Sloane Stephens, Bernarda Pera) and only Gauff remains.

Go USA!!

Incredible match by Novak once again. 23 Slams, just amazing. The 🐐.

Go USA!!

How about this Ruud fella?

When I think tennis, I think ........ Norway?

How does Norway have these random, incredible athletes?

Big tournament win for Tiafoe and a top 10 world ranking awaits!

Go USA!!

Crazy that Venus is still out there battling. Nice to see her pull out a W:

At age 43 and ranked No. 697, Venus Williams isn't done quite yet -- especially not on her favored surface of grass.

Williams upset 48th-ranked Camila Giorgi 7-6 (5), 4-6, 7-6 (6) after more than three hours at the Birmingham Classic on Monday for her first victory over a player in the top 50 in nearly four years.

Williams, a seven-time Grand Slam champion and five-time winner of Wimbledon singles, was out for six months because of a hamstring injury sustained in Auckland, New Zealand, in the first week of the year.

On her return last week, she lost to 17-year-old Celine Naef in the first round of the Libema Open in the Netherlands.

Williams said it was "touch and go" against Giorgi.

"There were so many moments where I thought, 'This match is over,' then she would hit a shot from out of nowhere," Williams said. "She pushed me to be better than what I thought I could be, and it's great for me.

"I haven't played a lot of matches, and it's great to come through."

Go Venus!!

Per Axios Sports:

Frances Tiafoe cracked the top 10 for the first time on Monday, claiming the No. 10 spot one day after winning the Boss Open.

Why it matters: Tiafoe is the third Black American man to reach the top 10, joining Arthur Ashe (debuted in 1973) and James Blake (debuted in 2006).

• "Super emotional for a guy like me with my story and everything," said Tiafoe, whose life reads like a Hollywood script.
  • "[I'm] a guy who shouldn't even really be here doing half the things he's doing. And now when you say his name, you can say he's top 10 in the world."
🇺🇸 Of note: Tiafoe and fellow 25-year-old Taylor Fritz (No. 8) are the first American male duo in the top 10 since Mardy Fish and John Isner in 2012.

Go USA!!

Wow, Woz is back! Good for her. I hope she can make a run at another Slam.

Go USA!!

It was a tough draw for Coco, and a heck of a win for Kenin:

Go USA!!

Currently watching Swiatek. She is finishing her match with a vengeance. So fun to watch especially when she really gets rolling like this.

Great story on American Christopher Eubanks. He hovered around 200 in the world, considered retirement but has had a big time spring and summer. Is now in 4th round of Wimbledon and will be Top 40:

Go Eubanks!!

Love seeing Madison Keys back in the Quarters of Wimbledon!

Go USA!!

The improbable run of American Chris Eubanks continues with a massive win to reach the Quarters!

Go Eubanks!!

Quite a surprise on the women's side.Unrankend Vondrousova takes the title. I'm disappointed that Jabeur couldn't get over the hump again. She is so likeable and I appreciate the fact that there's a top player isn't from one of the usual countries.

That was some freaking tennis this morning. Over 4 and a half hours of great play. Add in the great golf from Scotland and it was a great Sunday of sports.

That was some freaking tennis this morning. Over 4 and a half hours of great play. Add in the great golf from Scotland and it was a great Sunday of sports.

Yep incredible match. A 27 minute GAME with 13 deuces. Alcarez is so amazing for his age. What a career he’s got ahead of himself!

Go USA!!

Incredibly gracious comments from Novak:

"I haven't played a player like him ever, to be honest," Djokovic said after the match. "Roger and Rafa have their own obvious strengths and weaknesses. Carlos is a very complete player."

"I didn't expect him to play so well this year on grass," added Djokovic. "But he's proven that he's the best player in the world, no doubt."

Go USA!!

This was one of the best matches I’ve ever watched. The level of play for nearly 4 hours out of these two was incredible.

Go Tennis!!

This was one of the best matches I’ve ever watched. The level of play for nearly 4 hours out of these two was incredible.

Go Tennis!!
The Tennis Channel post game crew was calling it one of the best 3 set men's matches ever. Andy Roddick weighed in and said, while he's not positive of that, however he added that considering that it might be isn't at all absurd. I'm not a big Djok fan, but the on-court post game interviews were superb as well and there appeared to be genuine mutual respect and admiration for what had just happened. Wish Alcaraz had won though........

Alcaraz retains the #1 ranking. He's 20.

But Coco! What an amazing run she is on. I was in Cincinnati for the early rounds and she looked great - intense and confident. Her win over Iga was great to get the monkey off her back (0-7 coming in vs Swiatak). Then closing it out today with an exclamation point over a very tough out. Now win the US Open!!!!

Coco climbs 1 spot in the rankings to #6. She's 19.

Top Bottom