All Things Royce White Thread UPDATED 10/25: Royce cut by 76ers

Kevin Durant Fires Back at Royce White: ‘Who is That?’

For Kevin Durant, it’s been a tad difficult keeping track of Houston Rockets players’ names throughout the first round Playoff series. As for people who haven’t played at all this season — let alone taken the floor during the postseason — KD has no time for them and their petty online trash talking. Sorry, Royce White. Per the Oklahoman: “Kevin Durant’s response to Royce White’s trash talk on Twitter: ‘Who is that?’ [...] ‘I haven’t seen him on the bench. I haven’t played against him so I’m not worried about guys that’s not even in our series.’”

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2013/05/kevin-durant-fires-back-at-royce-white-who-is-that/

Go Gophers!!

To paraphrase Motley Crue "Royce don't go away mad, Royce just go away"

I really hate Royce White and have enjoyed watching him crash and burn.

This isn't an attempt to defend Royce White even the slightest bit, but I don't understand the people talking about him being an "attention whore" and that he's doing this stuff over ego.

Wouldn't he receive a ton more attention by being a really good NBA basketball player? Wouldn't that stroke the ego a bit more than playing NBDL games for Rio Grande? He seems to be someone who is in dire need of mental health treatment more than someone who is just doing things for attention. He is avoiding tons of praise, exposure, and attention due to his "medical condition".

Again, I'm not using mental illness as a scape goat with Royce, because even if he is battling some form of anxiety, he sure doesn't seem to be helping himself one bit. But I don't think it makes sense to call it an ego or attention thing when the guy is playing basketball in Rio Grande rather than in the NBA playoffs with Houston.

He's still getting the attention even if he's playing (or not playing) for Rio Grande though. Long-term, it would be overwhelmingly to his benefit if he sucked it up and became a great NBA player, but that takes hard work, dedication, and focus.

Long-term, it would be overwhelmingly to his benefit if he sucked it up and became a great NBA player, but that takes hard work, dedication, and focus.

Not to mention, it would also serve his "cause" much better than this "Nobody understands me or helps me!" act he's been putting on for years and years and years. Cut this guy off. Three cheers for Maturi!

This tweet cracked me up...

@THEREALALLENOU

Royce white thinks he's hard. He's about as hard as Jason Collins at the playboy mansion.

Wow. Never played a NBA game and he's dissing Durant. Royce is a much bigger fool than I already thought.

I was thinking of Royce when I was watching a Wild game last night. They were interviewing Jason Zucker who, despite being an SCSU grad, is a pretty classy guy. Zucker had been demoted to the AHL (arguably the closest equivalent to D-League in hockey) several times this season (admittedly the situations are not parallel because Zucker has not been dealing with any mental health issues). They asked him about his demotions in an interview, and I thought he gave a perfect answer, sayings something like "it was simple, I was not playing good enough hockey to stay in the NHL. I had to look myself in the mirror and say 'hey Jason, if you want to do this for your career, there are a whole bunch of things you need to do better'. So, I tried to focus on that when I was in Houston [the Wild's AHL affiliate], and just keep working on my game, and try to earn my way back up here". Zucker is about 9 months younger than White, yet seems to be a whole lot more mature. I think Royce could learn a lot from young Jason.

I was thinking of Royce when I was watching a Wild game last night. They were interviewing Jason Zucker who, despite being an SCSU grad, is a pretty classy guy. Zucker had been demoted to the AHL (arguably the closest equivalent to D-League in hockey) several times this season (admittedly the situations are not parallel because Zucker has not been dealing with any mental health issues). They asked him about his demotions in an interview, and I thought he gave a perfect answer, sayings something like "it was simple, I was not playing good enough hockey to stay in the NHL. I had to look myself in the mirror and say 'hey Jason, if you want to do this for your career, there are a whole bunch of things you need to do better'. So, I tried to focus on that when I was in Houston [the Wild's AHL affiliate], and just keep working on my game, and try to earn my way back up here". Zucker is about 9 months younger than White, yet seems to be a whole lot more mature. I think Royce could learn a lot from young Jason.

Zucker went to Denver University.

Wow. Never played a NBA game and he's dissing Durant. Royce is a much bigger fool than I already thought.

He can't be. He's "fighting the good fight" for all those afflicted with anxiety disorders. ;)

Good post overall, but if your going to slam a school you might want to have the right one...

Someone else already caught me on that and I apologized. SCSU and Denver appear in the same column for me, of schools that I don't particularly hate (like NoDak and Wisco), but they annoy me mainly because of talented alumni like Jason Zucker whom I remember playing against us. I think I got mixed up because I remember hearing a lot of talk about Hanowski (who actually is from SCSU) growing his hair out for locks of love, and thinking that I liked that. I mixed up the two schools.

While I'm on the subject of correcting my inaccuracies, "being an SCSU grad" is wrong not just because Zucker did not got to SCSU, but also because Zucker didn't graduate. He left the team after his sophomore year. Sorry again about the sloppy facts, glad to know that when I do slip up it gets corrected.

Zucker's alma mater aside, my main point was that Royce should act more like Zucker and less like a 12 year old.

@jonathan_feigen: Rockets summer league roster as expected will not include Royce White. Rockets had a few spots open, but they're filled now.

Go Gophers!!

Royce needs to go away.

He needs to accept that his 5 minutes of fame are over.

"A lot of talk... 'Cut Royce', 'Trade Royce', only a few players with my skill set in the WHOLE league... everybody knows it. #RedNation" -- Royce White, 6/30/13 on Twitter
And just like that, Royce White sucked me back in.

I was made aware of this tweet by my former intern up at the radio station, Andrew Stewart. He texted it to me, and honestly I had forgotten that I stopped following Royce White. That's kind of how my Twitter relationship has been with ol' @Highway_30 -- when he's saying things that are pissing everybody off (Twitter nirvana), I follow him, but eventually the barrage of retweets and the thinly veiled attention issues wear on me. So I unfollow.

And then I get trolled back in. And then a few weeks later, I unfollow. And on and on. My following of Royce White has evolved into something in between a Twitter booty call and a 90210-style, on-again, off-again Twitter relationship.

Right now, Royce's ridiculous narcissism, his open bragging about this elite level that's buried under a 50-pound tectonic plate of blubber on his torso, has me trolled back in. I'm following again.
As the Rockets are preparing for the biggest week in the recent history of the franchise, clearing out cap space to make a run at center Dwight Howard, floating trade proposals for key cogs in last season's playoff team like Omer Asik and Jeremy Lin, and flying a contingent numbering nearly a dozen people (current players, former players, coaches, executives) to Los Angeles to pitch Howard on Houston, White sits at his computer insinuating that he is too valuable for the team to trade him, because there aren't many players in the league that could do what he does.

All due respect, I'm fairly certain every player in the league could pack on an extra few dozen pounds, sit around in a robe all day, and give interviews to HBO and Dr. Phil.

A part of processing my return to the Royce White Twitter train has always been analyzing the spew, the barrage of tweets and retweets in which Royce brags about his basketball skills ilke he's a ten-time All Star and casually wishes each of his haters to #BeWell. This latest machine gun Twit-spray had a few beauties:
http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2013/07/royce_white_highway_30_is_sayi.php?page=2

He needs to be cut, the Rockets need to move on without this sideshow.

He can't be. He's "fighting the good fight" for all those afflicted with anxiety disorders. ;)

His "good fight" (I know you were being sarcastic) is only hurting people with anxiety disorders by being a d-bag all of the time. Royce is the worst thing to happen to the fight.

There are a lot of NBA cities within busing distance of Philly.

What did they trade him for, a box of rocks?

I think it was a half eaten cheeseburger. Time will tell if it was a good trade.

In all seriousness though, even though Royce seems like a D-bag and a complete loser most of the time, for some reason I still want to see him play in the league. He's a unique player and is fun to watch. Would be interesting if he, Rodney, and Mbakwe could all make the team. When was the last time 3 Minnesotans were on the same NBA team? Probably Never.

I think it was a half eaten cheeseburger. Time will tell if it was a good trade.

In all seriousness though, even though Royce seems like a D-bag and a complete loser most of the time, for some reason I still want to see him play in the league. He's a unique player and is fun to watch. Would be interesting if he, Rodney, and Mbakwe could all make the team. When was the last time 3 Minnesotans were on the same NBA team? Probably Never.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that thought.

I love Royce White. He is my all time favorite Gopher (even tho he never played a minute for us). I hope this thread lives on forever and gets inducted into the GH thread hall of fame.

I love Royce White. He is my all time favorite Gopher (even tho he never played a minute for us). I hope this thread lives on forever and gets inducted into the GH thread hall of fame.

Are you testing our ability to detect your sarcasm?

Top Bottom