All Things Richard Pitino Assistants UPDATED 4/4: Kimani Young reportedly on staff

Vince would be nice, Ryan should be given a look. Ryan has 3+ years with the Wizards as assistant, with responsibilities assisting with the preparation for upcoming opponents with extensive scouting reports and statistical analysis. Ryan developed "Gametime Concepts" a statistical program being used by teams in the NBA and CBB. Plus, while a Gopher, he helped players with academics and social development. (credit NBA.com Saunders)

If we can't have Flip, maybe having Ryan in the organization, would groom him for the HC position after Rich moves on in 8-10 years.

Vince would be nice, Ryan should be given a look. Ryan has 3+ years with the Wizards as assistant, with responsibilities assisting with the preparation for upcoming opponents with extensive scouting reports and statistical analysis. Ryan developed "Gametime Concepts" a statistical program being used by teams in the NBA and CBB. Plus, while a Gopher, he helped players with academics and social development. (credit NBA.com Saunders)

If we can't have Flip, maybe having Ryan in the organization, would groom him for the HC position after Rich moves on in 8-10 years.

UofMdad, hmmm. Does your name rhyme with Slip Faunders? I'm not sure you are fooling anyone touting your son like that.

This guy likely to come with Pitino to Minnesota, that according to Rick Bozich, college hoops journalist and formerly of the Louisville Courier Journal. Bozich said on Dan Barreiro's show Lieberman and Pitino are really tight and he'd be surprised if he's not named one of the assistants.

http://www.fiusports.com/InsideAthletics/About/AdminStaffDirectory/MarkLieberman.aspx

"He is engaged to Paige Dickey."

Pics? She could be everything we thought Enfield's wife would've been.

UofMdad, hmmm. Does your name rhyme with Slip Faunders? I'm not sure you are fooling anyone touting your son like that.

LOL....I think the big question is, are you a Barrister or a Solicitor? Hopefully, you are a Barrister, aspiring to serve on King Richard's Counsel.

I have no problem with Ryan being considered for a lower position on the staff, but he would have the worst resume of any assistant coach in the Big 10. I'd love for Ryan to come on as video coordinator (essentially the same job he did with the Wizards but he'd be the "boss" or head of them with the U, it's an upgrade in position).

My ideal. . .
Lieberman
Taylor
Nuness

I'd be fine with that. Keeping Taylor just makes too much sense. Lieberman is Pitino's right hand man, and Nuness has a local angle and experience with player development.

I would like Taylor to return, but I think it is pretty unlikely. Taylor probably doesn't want to work for an AD that fired him a couple of weeks ago and he probably wouldn't want to back stab (at least to a degree) Tubby by helping out the new coach. My guess is that he follows Tubby to TT.

I would like Taylor to return, but I think it is pretty unlikely. Taylor probably doesn't want to work for an AD that fired him a couple of weeks ago and he probably wouldn't want to back stab (at least to a degree) Tubby by helping out the new coach. My guess is that he follows Tubby to TT.

You see assistant coaches staying at schools quite a bit. I think that Taylor's previous relationship with Pitino might be the main reason why it could even be more likely in this scenario.

I thought Taylor should have been kept on when the staff was let just to keep in contact with all the recruits. I would be happy if he did get on Pitino's staff. He always seemed like a good recruiter and the go between.

You see assistant coaches staying at schools quite a bit. I think that Taylor's previous relationship with Pitino might be the main reason why it could even be more likely in this scenario.

Hope you are right!

I see in the FIU AD presser this morning, he expects all of Pitinos assistants to be offered jobs in Minnesota...whether they all take them is another thing.

I thought Taylor should have been kept on when the staff was let just to keep in contact with all the recruits. I would be happy if he did get on Pitino's staff. He always seemed like a good recruiter and the go between.

I would say that his recruiting track record does not agree with you. While I don't think our recruits have been horrible, they just don't wow me. They are the type of players a middling Big 10 team should get, nothing more, nothing less. If we keep Taylor, it better because of continuity with our current recruiting base (read big 3 and beyond) to create continuity with the current players, and because Richie likes him and feels he fits what he wants to do.

I thought this too and hope he ends up back on the Gopher staff with Pitino.

We've got our first assistant! From ZagsBlog article on the new hire... http://zagsblog.com/coaching-moves/rick-pitino-richard-is-more-than-ready-for-minnesota-job/

Kimani Young, a Pitino assistant at FIU, will follow Pitino to Minnesota.

Here is his FIU profile:

Kimani Young, who hails from Queens, N.Y., enters his first season as an assistant coach at FIU after serving as athletic director for the New Heights non-profit youth program in the Bronx since the fall of 2006.“We are excited about Kimani Young because he brings a lot of connections from the New York, New Jersey area; an area in which we expect to do a lot of recruiting,” FIU Head Coach Richard Pitino said. “Kimani is great with people, has an unbelievable work ethic and is a great teacher and a student of the game.”In the summer of 2008, Young joined the St. John’s Red Storm staff as the head team manager/video coordinator where he was responsible for a variety of administrative duties in the basketball office, taking on many responsibilities related to the program's day-to-day operations.Young's duties included in assisting with team travel activities, overseeing video exchange with league opponents, scheduling practice and gym times, monitoring student-athlete academic matters, supervising the team's student-managers and serving as co-coordinator of the Norm Roberts Summer Basketball Camp.He returned to New Heights in the spring of 2009.Much of Young's career has been spent working with New York City's youth, as his two previous stints included in serving as center director for the NYC Police Athletic League's Wynn Center (2005-06) and as assistant center director at the NYC PAL's Miccio Center (2001-05), both in Brooklyn. His extensive youth coaching experience includes guiding the S. Carter Elite 14-and-under AAU squad to a national championship in the summer of 2006.A graduate of Texas-El Paso in 1998 with a bachelor’s degree in criminal justice, Young starred on the hardwood for UTEP and legendary coach Don Haskins from 1993-97. He finished his tenure with the Miners as one of only 22 all-time players to reach the 1,000-career point plateau. Young enrolled at UTEP after starring as an all-city performer for Forest Hills High School in Queens, earning honorable mention McDonald's All-America honors as a senior in 1992.

An older article about Mr. Young: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/h...ty-new-coach-richard-pitino-article-1.1093586

Kimani Young thought he was on his way in the summer of 2008.

Then, the longtime athletic director of the New Heights AAU basketball program, took a job at St. John’s as the team's video coordinator and team manager for then-coach Norm Roberts. It was a significant moment for Young, a Brooklyn native whose rise included stints as an AAU coach and high school assistant.

But after just one season at St. John's, Young received a blow that would change his life and alter his career forever. His wife, Sharette Dixon, died of cardiac arrest on March 23, 2009 at the age of 38 following a bout with pneumonia. Suddenly, Young was a widower and facing the task of raising their three children, so he left his position at St. John’s, putting his basketball goals on hold.

More than three years later, Young has been given a second chance.

He sounds hungry, motivated, and ambitious. Also sounds like a great guy, putting his dream on hold to take care of his kids after his wife passed. Solid hire.

Glad to see King Richard bringing Young to the U. As others have stated, this will open up a (hopefully) huge pipeline to the NYC bb operations, something the ACC has enjoyed for more than 1/2 century. Now, it's our turn to be able to compete with the ACC in the bb rich NYC/NJ areas.

This just keeps getting better and better......

Top Bottom