All Things RB Jeffrey Jones Thread

Florida already has 4 RBs on scholarship for next year and their starting RB this year is a true freshman who was very highly recruited, on the Florida forum they thought that 5 RBs would be too much and 6 would be outrageous

i disagree, if i could have one top 100 player for the gophers at any position it would be running back, our backs may be productive with our O-line but they really can't get much once they get to the second level, Jeff is the difference between us having a good offense and an elite offense, he is the most MN recruit in at least the last 15 years

QB

Im just stating if Florida comes in late and flips Jones I don't want to hear the excuse anymore from people I follow on twitter bout Minnesota came in too late to sign a high recruit(when they try). A la Travis with Pitino. People should just state the truth Minnesota isn't a stud program. Yet!

I'm still not following.

I'm still not following.

You're being obtuse. You know you follow and I agree with you it's a stupid argument but at least admit you know what he's trying to say and offer your reasons why.

To summarize what he's saying:

We recruit players like Reid Travis and don't get him and everyone is quick to say 'we got on him late' as a defense mechanism against an indictment on our program.

We recruit JJ and IF we don't get him we obviously can't fall back on that method.

You're being obtuse. You know you follow and I agree with you it's a stupid argument but at least admit you know what he's trying to say and offer your reasons why.

To summarize what he's saying:

We recruit players like Reid Travis and don't get him and everyone is quick to say 'we got on him late' as a defense mechanism against an indictment on our program.

We recruit JJ and IF we don't get him we obviously can't fall back on that method.

No, it makes absolutely zero sense. That's why I'm not following. The respective coaching staffs were recruiting Jones and Travis for years. I don't get what he's trying to say.

No, it makes absolutely zero sense. That's why I'm not following. The respective coaching staffs were recruiting Jones and Travis for years. I don't get what he's trying to say.

Fair enough and I guess I tried to qualify that with my mentioning that it was stupid. I just tried to clarify his intent no matter how stupid it is.

we are a 60-40 or a 70-30 run to pass team, if our RB is getting 30 carries a game then and how our O-line is looking and going to look in the future then i want our best player on the team to be our RB, i suppose if we got a very good QB then those ratios would be a lot more balanced but still, we have had our fair share of 4 star QBs while Brewster was here and all of them have tuned out mediocre or have never even seen the field

we are a 60-40 or a 70-30 run to pass team, if our RB is getting 30 carries a game then and how our O-line is looking and going to look in the future then i want our best player on the team to be our RB, i suppose if we got a very good QB then those ratios would be a lot more balanced but still, we have had our fair share of 4 star QBs while Brewster was here and all of them have tuned out mediocre or have never even seen the field

No matter how good of a running back we have it's not very common for a college RB to hit the 30 carry mark anymore. QB is and always will be the most important position for our Gophers football team. We get a stud quarterback and everything else gets better. Look no further than MSU/FSU this year or Stanford (after a few games when they finally made the switch) and A&M last year.

just looking into it more and Minnesota this year ran the ball over 100 times more then Florida and David Cobb got 89 more carries then Florida's leading rusher, Cobb who is a far less talented back then Mack Brown who was a 5 star also had 1.4 more yards per carry then Brown,
also looking at the Florida forums they want a back that is a burner in their class, Jeff runs a 4.69 40 and is considered more of a power back, they didn't feel Jeff would fit into their system very well and they feel that after the Cook decision that UF should just avoid an RB in this class and get this guy that they had in mind in their 2015 class that they think they can get him and he fits very well into their system, they actually talked about how their are a few 2105 backs that they will get, i suppose the UF coaches know more about what they want then the UF fans but still, that along with the fact that Jeff has said that distance does matter some and the fact that whoever builds the best relationship with him will get him where Florida just jumped in and will need to work hard in a short amount of time to build a great relationship with him are all comforting facts that would sway him away from UF

No matter how good of a running back we have it's not very common for a college RB to hit the 30 carry mark anymore. QB is and always will be the most important position for our Gophers football team. We get a stud quarterback and everything else gets better. Look no further than MSU/FSU this year or Stanford (after a few games when they finally made the switch) and A&M last year.

well maybe a top 100 QB for us would be better then an RB but it is still a position that i value more then any other with our offensive philosophy, i would just much rather have a skill position player then any other player, and its not very common for a college or pro player in general to get 30 carries anymore but this is the big 10, not the big 12, RBs do get 25-30 carries a game in this conference and on this team

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gators&src=hash">#Gators</a> fans are salty about Dalvin Cook flip & I get it. But trickle down could hurt <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> most. RB stud Jeff Jones offered today by UF</p>— Phil Murphy (@Phil_Sports) <a href="https://twitter.com/Phil_Sports/statuses/418220394084970496">January 1, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

All he's saying is this: when MN comes in late to recruit a kid and then fails, people usually say "well what did you expect, we came in late"? How is Florida then able to come in at the last minute and sign Jeff Jones? Shouldn't it be too late? Florida didn't spend any meaningful time recruiting him or developing a long term relationship. In other words, he never wants to hear people again say "Minnesota came in too late" as an rationale for not signing a kid. If Florida can do it with Jeff Jones, then any school should be able to do it.

We all know how to address this posters issue: Minnesota does not have the same appeal as Florida. Period. So if we go after a kid late and he doesn't seriously consider us, it's not because we came in late. It's because the kid doesn't see us as a better destination. The poster just wants GH'ers to stop with the excuse making that "we came in late". The true reasoning he wants to hear is that MN just isn't in the same conversation when it comes to big time recruits.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gators&src=hash">#Gators</a> fans are salty about Dalvin Cook flip & I get it. But trickle down could hurt <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> most. RB stud Jeff Jones offered today by UF</p>— Phil Murphy (@Phil_Sports) <a href="https://twitter.com/Phil_Sports/statuses/418220394084970496">January 1, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Jones seems like a great kid but if he commits to a school that started recruiting him yesterday after their first option fell through over Minnesota who has been recruiting him for 2+ years, I would question what he's looking for. On top of that, florida is having coaching issues and muschamp might not even be there after next year.

All he's saying is this: when MN comes in late to recruit a kid and then fails, people usually say "well what did you expect, we came in late"? How is Florida then able to come in at the last minute and sign Jeff Jones? Shouldn't it be too late? Florida didn't spend any meaningful time recruiting him or developing a long term relationship. In other words, he never wants to hear people again say "Minnesota came in too late" as an rationale for not signing a kid. If Florida can do it with Jeff Jones, then any school should be able to do it.

Yep, because every kid being recruited is the same. This isn't hard guys - for some a developed relationship is important and for others it isn't.

Go Gophers. Go Jeff Jones.

Yep, because every kid being recruited is the same. This isn't hard guys - for some a developed relationship is important and for others it isn't.

Go Gophers. Go Jeff Jones.

Gopher Hole: What is going to be the main factor that is going to make you decide that this is where I want to be? Jeff Jones: The relationship between the coaches and what if I don't make it to the next level, after college, who is going to have my best interest.

Pretty tough to develop a strong relationship in a few days.

if Jerry Kill's health and him being around is a concern for Jeff then wouldn't Will Muschamp's job security right now at UF be an even bigger concern for Jeff?

Just read this quote from Jeff Jones in the Connor Mays article. This is the most love for the Gophers I've read from Jeff. I'm feeling a little more confident tonight.

Jones recently scheduled an official visit to Florida but said he still likes the Gophers' coaching staff.

"Jerry Kill is a very genuine guy," Jones told Rivals.com recruiting expert Mike Farrell on a video from practice Monday. "Everywhere he goes, he and that staff, they win games. You can see from their first year until now, they've won games and progressed every year. I see that the program is on the rise."

Jones wouldn't put a number on his level of commitment to the Gophers. He also visited Iowa State and plans to take an official trip to Michigan State.

"I just know Minnesota is a great school for me, and they run the ball," Jones told Rivals.com. "Coach Kill really wants me there, but I'm just taking my officials to make sure I'm not missing out on any opportunities to help my future."

if Jerry Kill's health and him being around is a concern for Jeff then wouldn't Will Muschamp's job security right now at UF be an even bigger concern for Jeff?

He may not even be clued yet to what's going on at Florida. Florida seemed to come out of nowhere for him.

Gopher Hole: What is going to be the main factor that is going to make you decide that this is where I want to be? Jeff Jones: The relationship between the coaches and what if I don't make it to the next level, after college, who is going to have my best interest.

Pretty tough to develop a strong relationship in a few days.

The "what if I don't make the nfl' question doesn't get enough play. While in the twin cities you can intern at any one of 27 fortune 1000 companies, 6 global 500 and earn a position where you can tour the world, live where and how you wish
Very few campus locations can make that claim
Certainly not gainesville

Just read this quote from Jeff Jones in the Connor Mays article. This is the most love for the Gophers I've read from Jeff. I'm feeling a little more confident tonight.

Jones recently scheduled an official visit to Florida but said he still likes the Gophers' coaching staff.

"Jerry Kill is a very genuine guy," Jones told Rivals.com recruiting expert Mike Farrell on a video from practice Monday. "Everywhere he goes, he and that staff, they win games. You can see from their first year until now, they've won games and progressed every year. I see that the program is on the rise."

Jones wouldn't put a number on his level of commitment to the Gophers. He also visited Iowa State and plans to take an official trip to Michigan State.

"I just know Minnesota is a great school for me, and they run the ball," Jones told Rivals.com. "Coach Kill really wants me there, but I'm just taking my officials to make sure I'm not missing out on any opportunities to help my future."

Jones has a real talent for talking out of both sides of his mouth as it relates to the Gophers. At this point I would just disregard all his comments let him play out his process and see what happens on signing day. Pretty clear he is enjoying the attention and wants to milk the process for all he can. Hopefully at the end of the day when it is all said and done the school that gets his fax is still Minnesota.

just looking into it more and Minnesota this year ran the ball over 100 times more then Florida and David Cobb got 89 more carries then Florida's leading rusher, Cobb who is a far less talented back then Mack Brown who was a 5 star also had 1.4 more yards per carry then Brown,
also looking at the Florida forums they want a back that is a burner in their class, Jeff runs a 4.69 40 and is considered more of a power back, they didn't feel Jeff would fit into their system very well and they feel that after the Cook decision that UF should just avoid an RB in this class and get this guy that they had in mind in their 2015 class that they think they can get him and he fits very well into their system, they actually talked about how their are a few 2105 backs that they will get, i suppose the UF coaches know more about what they want then the UF fans but still, that along with the fact that Jeff has said that distance does matter some and the fact that whoever builds the best relationship with him will get him where Florida just jumped in and will need to work hard in a short amount of time to build a great relationship with him are all comforting facts that would sway him away from UF

Just a terrible take. He's not a "power" back and he's faster than a 4.8. Watch his sophmore highlight tape and come back with a better take. Sorry but you don't have a clue regarding Jones

Just a terrible take. He's not a "power" back and he's faster than a 4.8. Watch his sophmore highlight tape and come back with a better take. Sorry but you don't have a clue regarding Jones

He has a very big frame capable of adding 20 more pounds, he is 6-0 200 right now which is somewhat big for only a highschool back, and I have watched his highlights plenty of times, probably a let more then you, he is regarded more of a power back then a speedster, Jeff has some speed, faster then any of our current backs, but he doesn't have elite speed, he doesn't even have Berkley Edwards speed, he is by no means a burner, actually on his espn page it lists his 2 best traits as power and hands, and if you watch a full game, not just highlights you will see a lot more power and him dragging defenders on 5 and 10 yard runs then you would in a highlight reel

FWIW, I think Jones stays home to play for the Gophers.
Jeff Jones & Berkley Edwards.
Thunder & Lightning!!!

FWIW, I think Jones stays home to play for the Gophers.
Jeff Jones & Berkley Edwards.
Thunder & Lightning!!!

How about a formation with Donovan Jones in the shotgun, Edwards on one side, and Jones on the other? Run a little triple option.

I've always wondered why the Gophers (and other teams who run a lot of pistol/shotgun) don't have some kind of variation of this formation.

He has a very big frame capable of adding 20 more pounds, he is 6-0 200 right now which is somewhat big for only a highschool back, and I have watched his highlights plenty of times, probably a let more then you, he is regarded more of a power back then a speedster, Jeff has some speed, faster then any of our current backs, but he doesn't have elite speed, he doesn't even have Berkley Edwards speed, he is by no means a burner, actually on his espn page it lists his 2 best traits as power and hands, and if you watch a full game, not just highlights you will see a lot more power and him dragging defenders on 5 and 10 yard runs then you would in a highlight reel

Invalid analysis. You didn't use "take" enough. You gotta have the right "take". That's my take.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+use+a+period

How about a formation with Donovan Jones in the shotgun, Edwards on one side, and Jones on the other? Run a little triple option.

I've always wondered why the Gophers (and other teams who run a lot of pistol/shotgun) don't have some kind of variation of this formation.

Oh hell yeah!!!
I'd love to see that.

Top Bottom