All Things Race Thompson Recruitment Thread - Class of 2018, Gophers Have Offered

sounds like Indiana is the favorite to bring him hard. Shoot. Was really hoping he would come home

All depends on what you want out of the experience of your last year(s) of (college) basketball.

And what you're willing to accept, to get that.

Given this pattern at Indiana, I'd say the odds are quite high that we see at least a couple of our 8 who went into the portal stick with the Gophers and Ben. Just a hunch
With Race recommitting, that makes 4 of 6 Indiana players entering the portal who have decided to return - there's seems to be a lot of interest in Robbins on the Indiana board - arrrgggghhh. I wonder if any of the Gophers in the portal will also decide to return - the uncertainty makes it difficult to recruit.

With Race recommitting, that makes 4 of 6 Indiana players entering the portal who have decided to return - there's seems to be a lot of interest in Robbins on the Indiana board - arrrgggghhh. I wonder if any of the Gophers in the portal will also decide to return - the uncertainty makes it difficult to recruit.
At least Indiana is not a rival to, or even in the same division as, the Gophers and perhaps we may only play them once next year?

Hope Robbins, Gabe, et al have enough honor and decency to go somewhere that they won't play us next year.

The thing about the transfer portal is that there are only a handful of spots where a kid can transfer to a better team in a league as good as the Big Ten from a school like Minnesota. Some of the 8 will definitely transfer down to a less competitive league where they can get more playing time. But for guys like Carr, Liam, Mashburn and Gabe, if you're not going to a different Big Ten team or a top-half P6 team, you're not really transferring up. Spots will start to dry up quickly and the grass is not always greener when you're already at a Big Ten school. Again, I'd be SHOCKED if all 8 of these guys end up leaving. Some of them are just testing the waters because that is the opportunity at hand and the wise thing to do this offseason.

Bummer, I was hoping we could get him back home, but onto next

Kinda interesting how Woodson is able to retain players from the previous coach’s team while Ben has had the whole team leave

It's kind of interesting that none of them have left yet, but you want to make this statement.
I’m just saying he got Trace Jackson Davis and now Race to stay, those are big wins for him. So far Ben has likely lost Robbins and may lose Gabe plus a ton of others who I care less about. This isn’t to say Ben won’t replace them or convince them to stay, but it is a notable contrast so far.

I’m just saying he got Trace Jackson Davis and now Race to stay, those are big wins for him. So far Ben has likely lost Robbins and may lose Gabe plus a ton of others who I care less about. This isn’t to say Ben won’t replace them or convince them to stay, but it is a notable contrast so far.
Only notable if you are panicking. Liam may want to leave simply because he is unhappy his uncle wasn’t retained. Could be bothe him and Gabe unhappy with Ben’s evaluation and he isn’t recruiting them as Woodson did. If Ben had Trace and Race on the U roster last year, he probably would be trying really hard to keep them. Don’t know if that’s true with our guys in the portal. So, let it play out

It’s almost as if Ben doesn’t know wtf he’s doing.

Only notable if you are panicking. Liam may want to leave simply because he is unhappy his uncle wasn’t retained. Could be bothe him and Gabe unhappy with Ben’s evaluation and he isn’t recruiting them as Woodson did. If Ben had Trace and Race on the U roster last year, he probably would be trying really hard to keep them. Don’t know if that’s true with our guys in the portal. So, let it play out
Trace Jackson Davis said he was set on going to the NBA before meeting with Woodson, but after the meeting he committed to staying and said he “Believs in Coach Woodson’s plan.” This isn’t me panicking this is simply a huge contrast in how the transitions are going with the respective coaches. Imagine how excited this entire board would of gotten if Carr or Robbins had said something like that. Again this isn’t to say Ben can’t turn it around, and I really hope he does, but at the moment things are trending a lot better at IU.

Trace Jackson Davis said he was set on going to the NBA before meeting with Woodson, but after the meeting he committed to staying and said he “Believs in Coach Woodson’s plan.” This isn’t me panicking this is simply a huge contrast in how the transitions are going with the respective coaches. Imagine how excited this entire board would of gotten if Carr or Robbins had said something like that. Again this isn’t to say Ben can’t turn it around, and I really hope he does, but at the moment things are trending a lot better at IU.
Woodson has more appeal at the moment but I am betting that Johnson will be the better coach.

At least Indiana is not a rival to, or even in the same division as, the Gophers and perhaps we may only play them once next year?

Hope Robbins, Gabe, et al have enough honor and decency to go somewhere that they won't play us next year.

There are no divisions in basketball. We often play Indiana twice a year.

Go Gophers!!

Woodson has more appeal at the moment but I am betting that Johnson will be the better coach.
Woodson was able to make the playoffs with the Knicks in the 21st century, that takes quite the coaching ability lol

Top Bottom