All Things Race Thompson Recruitment Thread - Class of 2018, Gophers Have Offered

Not to pile on, but your list of Gopher transfers is also wrong. Mutaf and Omersa were gone well before Coach Johnson was hired.
Yes and no. Mutaf was gone and transferred out before BJ. Omersa was an opt-out, but (I believe) didn't enter the portal until after Pitino was fired. Feel free to correct me if wrong on Omersa. But that's not really the point I was making. I'm not necessarily intending to shit on BJ (and thus limiting it to players that he's "responsible for" losing). The list of players in the portal aren't sorted by if they left prior to a coaching change or before. So the same thing could be happening to other teams as well. If a player at DePaul, let's say, transferred out prior to the coaching change, they're still included in the portal list as well, and we're not excluding them. It's a black-and-white point that the Gophers have 10 transfers, and a poster said other teams have it worse, which was incorrect. If you want to read into the intents and try to read between the lines, go ahead. But that's not really my point.

Still waiting for a list of teams with it "worse" than the Gophers. That was my point.

Last edited:

Mutaf was never in the portal. Let's keep playing semantics
He was in the portal as of 1/1/21. Obviously he has since signed with a team overseas and was long gone before BJ got here. Pretty sure his scholarship ended up going to Conroy.

I have been watching these posts for awhile and have noticed that most peoples' confidence in BJ seems to come from the fact that Thorson is on the staff. If that's the case should we just have hired Thorson as the HC?
It would have been interesting if that was the case, and Ben Johnson comes in as his assistant. The U was under tremendous pressure to hire a person of color. So, they just packaged the hire differently. Thorson's presence is going to be key in BJ's development as a head coach.

It would have been interesting if that was the case, and Ben Johnson comes in as his assistant. The U was under tremendous pressure to hire a person of color. So, they just packaged the hire differently. Thorson's presence is going to be key in BJ's development as a head coach.
Conspiracy theory? I have been told the bolded is wrong think and BJ was clearly the best for the job because Coyle/search committee said so.

I'm still waiting for a list of teams that both has a new coach, as well as more transfers than the Gophers (currently at 10). You made the assertation that there were teams with new coaches that have it "much worse" (your words) in regards to transfers than the Gophers. That was an incorrect statement. If you knew it to be incorrect, and posted anyway, it's a lie. If you didn't know, but posted, then I suppose by definition, it's not a lie if you're not cognizant of the validity of your statement. So I suppose in that case it would be merely incorrect. Either way, not sure why you're seeking an apology.

I will give you an apology, in that I shouldn't have called you a liar, as that's not very nice (even if you're incorrect). I should have just called it "incorrect".
First of all, you just keep digging yourself deeper in a hole. Here is what I actually said, as highlighted in your original attack:

"A major portion of the P6 schools have been gutted of their roster. It is even worse at some schools that made coaching changes."

The average number of P6 players in the portal is 3.4/team with the ACC - 3.9, B1G - 3.8, P12 - 4.3 and SEC - 4.4. With an average team losing 4 player that means for each team that lost less there is a team that lost more. I think that losing 4+ transfers from a team is a major gutting of the roster.

I also said that it is even worse at some schools that made coaching changes. For example:

Utah - 7 - (hired Craig Smith, one of the supposed home run hires for the U.)
Boston College - 6
Iowa St - 7
Texas - 5
Oklahoma - 8
Texas Tech - 7
DePaul - 8
Marquette - 6
Arizona - 8
Penn St - 7

All of the school are much worse than the conference average. I never said the schools were "much worse" than the Gophers.

So, I was correct and you should listen to your comments:

"That was an incorrect statement. If you knew it to be incorrect, and posted anyway, it's a lie. If you didn't know, but posted, then I suppose by definition, it's not a lie if you're not cognizant of the validity of your statement. So I suppose in that case it would be merely incorrect."

Maybe you should be more cognizant of the validity of your statements?

First of all, you just keep digging yourself deeper in a hole. Here is what I actually said, as highlighted in your original attack:

"A major portion of the P6 schools have been gutted of their roster. It is even worse at some schools that made coaching changes."

The average number of P6 players in the portal is 3.4/team with the ACC - 3.9, B1G - 3.8, P12 - 4.3 and SEC - 4.4. With an average team losing 4 player that means for each team that lost less there is a team that lost more. I think that losing 4+ transfers from a team is a major gutting of the roster.

I also said that it is even worse at some schools that made coaching changes. For example:

Boston College - 6
Iowa St - 7
Texas - 5
Oklahoma - 8
Texas Tech - 7
DePaul - 8
Marquette - 6
Arizona - 8
Penn St - 7

All of the school are much worse than the conference average. I never said the schools were "much worse" than the Gophers.

"That was an incorrect statement. If you knew it to be incorrect, and posted anyway, it's a lie. If you didn't know, but posted, then I suppose by definition, it's not a lie if you're not cognizant of the validity of your statement. So I suppose in that case it would be merely incorrect."

Here is the deal....if they don't want to be here....fine, leave and go play in Ames or wherever. Honestly, none of the guys who left were that great. None of them are going to be playing in the NBA....and everyone of them is replaceable.

Here is the deal....if they don't want to be here....fine, leave and go play in Ames or wherever. Honestly, none of the guys who left were that great. None of them are going to be playing in the NBA....and everyone of them is replaceable.
Pretty much goph bball for the past 25 years.

Boston College - 6
Iowa St - 7
Texas - 5
Oklahoma - 8
Texas Tech - 7
DePaul - 8
Marquette - 6
Arizona - 8
Penn St - 7

I read your comments as comparing the Gophers to other teams with coaching changes, not random other teams compared to some calculated average. I will fully admit I misunderstood the point you were attempting to make. However, my point still stands and is now further exemplified. Gophers have 11 transfers out from the 20-21 team with Gach leaving. At least we win the “transfer out” olympics.

Conspiracy theory? I have been told the bolded is wrong think and BJ was clearly the best for the job because Coyle/search committee said so.
You don't have to be a meteorologist to know when it's raining. Ben being a POC clearly had an impact on the hiring. In fact, if it didn't, that would scare me quite a bit more. I get the idea that Coyle hadn't hired a person of color and all of that stuff. I'm not saying I agree with it, but I get it. It's a weird world that we live in. We will scream from the hilltops that diversity is important but run away from anyone being hired due to diversity. If it's important, we should celebrate a diversity hiring. If it's something to be ashamed, we shouldn't do it.

Ben was hired because he had local ties, he was a POC and he probably interviewed well.

If Coyle & the search committee really thought Ben (right now) was the best candidate for the job regardless of race and being local. Puke.

Top Bottom