All Things Pharrel Payne Recruiting Thread (Class of 2022; Gophers Have Offered)

I like our chances to get Payne. If we grab him and Carrington, then maybe a lower level MN kid, that'd be solid. Looks like they're also chasing plenty of guys that aren't MN kids. Would be nice to add a couple Top 100-200 guys from other areas. Plenty of spots to fill.

I don't think there's any reason to be too pessimistic at this point. Total rebuild. Year 0 coming up. Who cares what happens there.

As has been stated plenty of times, the BJ era starts with 2022 recruiting. Wins and losses for 2021 mean nothing. Especially now with Fox and Ihnen out.

I like our chances to get Payne. If we grab him and Carrington, then maybe a lower level MN kid, that'd be solid. Looks like they're also chasing plenty of guys that aren't MN kids. Would be nice to add a couple Top 100-200 guys from other areas. Plenty of spots to fill.

I don't think there's any reason to be too pessimistic at this point. Total rebuild. Year 0 coming up. Who cares what happens there.

As has been stated plenty of times, the BJ era starts with 2022 recruiting. Wins and losses for 2021 mean nothing. Especially now with Fox and Ihnen out.
This reads like a story that has Billy Mumphrey as the protagonist.

This year absolutely still matters. Recruits will absolutely care what happens in year 0.

Guys are going to want to see the product on the court and see what Johnson can do as a coach. Losing every game isn't going to instill confidence that signing with Minnesota is going to be a fun experience if they're witnessing loss after loss. I'm not saying it can't be done but it makes that process even harder.

So ANYWAY, anybody know where Payne’s AAU team is playing this weekend? Last weekend they were in Sioux Falls, but I know Peach Jam is happening right now in Georgia along with a big tournament in Indiana. Loved the reports on his play from two weeks ago, hoping that continues.

So ANYWAY, anybody know where Payne’s AAU team is playing this weekend? Last weekend they were in Sioux Falls, but I know Peach Jam is happening right now in Georgia along with a big tournament in Indiana. Loved the reports on his play from two weeks ago, hoping that continues.
Indianapolis

For those of you interested, if you put "Cottage Grove Basketball" into YouTube you can watch quite a few of his games.

In my opinion, he is even more impressive in full games. The guy is just everything you want from a post player. The thing that you often can't tell from highlights is that he is a super active player. If you watch him cutting without the ball, getting up and down the court, heling break the press, boxing out, etc.

I think he is my second favorite local prospect in 2022 and he is closer to Tre than I realized. He is a really good basketball player. I don't care what he is ranked, he is good.

He kind of reminds me of a bball version of Winfield. All of us arm chair NFL draft experts were scratching our heads saying "I get I'm not an expert, but he should be taken in the first round".

Thorson watching Pharrel again this morning along with Purdue. Haven’t heard where Ben is at yet this weekend as Thorson seemed to be the one watching a lot of the games in Indianapolis yesterday that had MN targets. Have to assume Ben is still following Tre around in Georgia. As well as watching Nolan Winter!

Last edited:

From things I have heard on Payne, he might be flying under the radar because of the fact that he doesn’t really have a left hand developed much yet. His potential is through the roof, but is still very raw.

From things I have heard on Payne, he might be flying under the radar because of the fact that he doesn’t really have a left hand developed much yet. His potential is through the roof, but is still very raw.
eh, hes flying under the radar mainly because he plays on a small aau team and doesnt get a ton of coaches at his games. This weekend is the only one they play at a big event. Its true he can develop his left hand more but thats not whats holding teams from offering imo. Hes only 16 too super young for his class.

Love where we stand with Pharrel and reports on his play this summer.

Hopefully energy is something that will help draw recruits. Johnson is probably one of the few coaches in the nation that could strap on some kicks, take these guys out onto the court, and play them heads up.

I'm not disputing your point, that very well could be true. But if not having a strong left hand is his biggest weakness, he is a heck of a prospect. He is young, already has a Big 10 physique, he is explosive, high motor, and fairly skilled. If that is the thing holding him back, those folks radar needs to be adjusted.

you best be right or this board is going to harass you to no end about it
I really believe he will be a gopher as well. RJ said in a 247 forum that if he was doing crystal ball picks, he would already have his pick in for Payne and wouldn’t look back for a minute.

He's gonna be a Gopher, I wouldnt worry about it.
That makes total sense

for why he's already committed to us. He knew he was coming here, it was his dream school, and he didn't need to see or hear anything else from any other school, team, or coach.

Good for him for knowing what he wanted, and getting it out there as soon as possible.

That makes total sense

for why he's already committed to us. He knew he was coming here, it was his dream school, and he didn't need to see or hear anything else from any other school, team, or coach.

Good for him for knowing what he wanted, and getting it out there as soon as possible.
Are you ok?

Top Bottom