All Things Pharrel Payne Recruiting Thread (Class of 2022; Gophers Have Offered)

He gone.

I don't trust a single Minnesota high school player to ever pick the Gophers. Not a single one.

When they occasionally do, awesome. I'll be surprised.
I will never trust the 5* guys to pick us ever because they never do, but we'll clearly have MN kids pick us. Not sure how exciting they will be is the problem. Currently we have 4 MN kids on roster.

My guess is that we'll get 2-3 in the 2022 class but it won't be any of the top 5 ranked.

I will never trust the 5* guys to pick us ever because they never do, but we'll clearly have MN kids pick us. Not sure how exciting they will be is the problem. Currently we have 4 MN kids on roster.

My guess is that we'll get 2-3 in the 2022 class but it won't be any of the top 5 ranked.
Payne is definitely a top 5 guy in this class.

100 percent, so is Carrington and I feel really good about him too. I’m not feeling great about Tre. Those are the top 3 remaining unsigned 2022 kids IMO.

100 percent, so is Carrington and I feel really good about him too. I’m not feeling great about Tre. Those are the top 3 remaining unsigned 2022 kids IMO.
My thoughts exactly and I would be thrilled to have Payne and Carrington.

I go back and forth on Tre - don’t think anybody knows what Tre is going to do except for Tre. The amount of time the coaches are spending on him every weekend shows they don’t believe they are out of it.

Good post, and agreed.

Note I didn't say that I don't think the Gophers (Ben) will have any MN kids ... just that I don't ever trust a MN kid to want to play for and pick the Gophers.

My thoughts exactly and I would be thrilled to have Payne and Carrington.

I go back and forth on Tre - don’t think anybody knows what Tre is going to do except for Tre. The amount of time the coaches are spending on him every weekend shows they don’t believe they are out of it.
Walton, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

Our ballcap is always on the final table. "We're not out of it!!"

Of course they have to try, would be wrong not to. I hope they connect with one of these guys, and they turn into the next Oturu.

Yes? So you agreed with his sentence then. but it won't be any of the top 5 ranked.
Have you seen Payne play in person recently? He is a monster and I definitely think he will be a productive big ten player. Also, I think where you are confused is that Payne WILL BE a top 5 ranked player in the state by the time they reevaluate the rankings. He dominates other top 100 level centers in AAU consistently.

Good post, and agreed.

Note I didn't say that I don't think the Gophers (Ben) will have any MN kids ... just that I don't ever trust a MN kid to want to play for and pick the Gophers.
I agree, they won’t get the 5 star kids but I absolutely think they can and should land the 4 star level kids.

Have you seen Payne play in person recently? He is a monster and I definitely think he will be a productive big ten player. Also, I think where you are confused is that Payne WILL BE a top 5 ranked player in the state by the time they reevaluate the rankings. He dominates other top 100 level centers in AAU consistently.
Not a single word in my post indicated that I don't think Payne will be a top 5 player when the "new list" comes out.

Re-read ....

I agree, they won’t get the 5 star kids but I absolutely think they can and should land the 4 star level kids.
lol why?

I'd agree with you for 3*. But why 4*? Those are kids with many P5 offers to big time programs elsewhere.

Not a single word in my post indicated that I don't think Payne will be a top 5 player when the "new list" comes out.

Re-read ....
I guess I’m missing the point of your post then…who cares if he’s not currently ranked as a top 5 player in the state? Doesn’t the end result matter more?

Last edited:

lol why?

I'd agree with you for 3*. But why 4*? Those are kids with many P5 offers to big time programs elsewhere.
Just my opinion. I can see we are way off on our opinions, probably not worth going back and forth any longer and dismantling the thread. Have a good day my man!

Let's say Payne gets bumped up to 4* and gets offered by Illinois, Ohio St, Michigan, Michigan State, etc.

But you still say they can and should land him? Certainly, they should try. But the best they can hope for is that he values that we came to him first, before the big programs swooped in. Some might value that and honor it, but I don't trust many to do that.

I hope they get him, and I hope he's Oturu.

But we've seen this movie many, many, many times before.

I'll happily eat a big plate of crow dinner if I'm wrong.

A smart bet is that he won’t come to Mn for his freshman year.

Let's say Payne gets bumped up to 4* and gets offered by Illinois, Ohio St, Michigan, Michigan State, etc.

But you still say they can and should land him? Certainly, they should try. But the best they can hope for is that he values that we came to him first, before the big programs swooped in. Some might value that and honor it, but I don't trust many to do that.

I hope they get him, and I hope he's Oturu.

But we've seen this movie many, many, many times before.

I'll happily eat a big plate of crow dinner if I'm wrong.
It's really late to join in his recruitment and it sounds like he will decide before the fall. I don't know if he'll get a chance to blow up like you were mention. He really is a late bloomer. It helps too that he plays for an AAU team that doesn't go around nationally like the other shoe sponsored AAU teams.

Yep. It's a crazy deep class. I have tried organizing what I think is the top 5 and I am always shuffling folks around. I think it's really hard to rank 2-8 in this class and there are guys outside of the top 10 that I think could really help the Gophers.

That said, Payne is always in the top 5. He is super impressive and he just fits the mold of a quintessential Big 10 post player.

AAU wrap up this week? That will limit his exposure for a bit.
Not sure if it’s wrapping up this week, but agree his exposure has been limited while his play has been impressive. He was in a tournament in Sioux Falls last weekend while most coaches were in Dallas and Georgia. Decision sounds like it’s coming very soon.

Top Bottom