All Things Paige Bueckers Recruitment Thread - Videos, Analysis, Tid-Bits, Articles

Hey Shades, tell us again how Bueckers is going to Notre Dame. LOL!

Not surprising, at least everyone can move on now.

http://www.startribune.com/hopkins-top-recruit-paige-bueckers-headed-to-uconn/507970212/
Hopkins junior guard Paige Bueckers, the nation’s No. 1-ranked girls’ basketball player in the class of 2020, announced Monday she will attend the most decorated collegiate program, the University of Connecticut.

Bueckers announced her choice on Twitter, selecting the Huskies over the likes of Notre Dame, Minnesota and numerous other schools.

The Gophers entered the recruiting picture after the hiring of Lindsay Whalen in April of 2018. Previous coach Marlene Stollings only appeared at Hopkins once during her four-year tenure.

“They did a great job making a late push,” Bueckers said of the Gophers. “Lindsay is the icon of Minnesota basketball. I wish them the best. She will do great things for the program.”

Ay-ay-ay! What will it take for the Gophers to get a big break with elite home grown talent?

It's taken the top coaches in women's basketball years to win a national championship.

She takes the easy and selfish route. Nice platitude towards the Gophers and Lindsay.

Disappointed. Obvious that she doesn't want to be apart of a group that could easily turn this program around and win championships. Yes, she is taking the easy route and doesn't care about Minnesota. I root against UConn now, will continue to do so.

I'm disappointed she didn't choose MN but I hold nothing against her. Whalen is unproven as a head coach. UCONN is the standard for womens college basketball. Do I wish she chose MN, yes. Paige will have an excellent career with the huskies and eventually the WNBA. No need to say anything negative about her.

Justin Gaard did a long rant on people ragging on the coaches of non blue bloods when a top player leaves to go to one of those schools, mainly Wisconsin men’s fans getting on Greg Gard for losing Tyler Herro to Kentucky. He said the fact is that the five star players are going to go to the big name until your favorite school becomes one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is very rare today for young kids to take the paths less travelled to greatness and glory. You are right. They take the easy route and are followers to the Pied Pipers of basketball. Tre Jones and now Paige Bueckers.

They have made choices that are not right or wrong that they feel is in their best interest.

Very rarely do we see top level players like Elena Delle Donne stay home. She played college basketball in Delaware and was still one of the top WNBA draft picks.

Very rarely do we see top level players like Elena Delle Donne stay home. She played college basketball in Delaware and was still one of the top WNBA draft picks.

And even she signed with UConn, leaving their program after two days because of homesickness.

Never cheer for UConn so nothing new here. In the social media world this was predictable and disappointing. Hope they suck and miss the final four repeatedly. Like Jones and Reid not making the final four. Genco is such a puke.

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-...18695/uconn-lands-no-1-2020-prospect-bueckers

ESPN:
Point guard Paige Bueckers can read a roster as astutely as she can survey a basketball court, and that became evident Monday night when the No. 1 basketball prospect in the 2020 class announced her commitment to UConn.

"When I picked a college, I wanted a school where I can make an impact right away," Bueckers said. "Crystal [Dangerfield] is a point guard. I'm a point guard. But I don't want to take that for granted.

Dangerfield's 2020 graduation, Bueckers said, "was a big thought for me, but I didn't want that to be my whole decision. Anything can happen. I don't want to get a big head and say, 'Oh, I'm going to UConn, and I'm going to start right away.'"

"I think my talents will be maximized under Coach Geno," Bueckers said. "UConn appealed to me, and it appealed to my family.

"[Auriemma] kind of expected [my decision]. But he said, 'It's about time.'

"He thinks he can do great things with me, and I think so, too. That's why I chose UConn. I can't wait."

"As a kid, UConn was my dream school. Seeing them win all those national titles and then visiting campus and seeing them up close, it was everything I've dreamed of and more."

Bueckers said she has strong relationships with Auriemma and assistant coach Chris Dailey, and she has loved her visits to the UConn campus, most recently on Nov. 2 for a Huskies exhibition game.

"The fan base is so amazing that it felt like we were playing Notre Dame in the NCAA tournament instead of an exhibition," she said. "I want to be a part of what UConn has built.
Bueckers said she's not afraid of lofty expectations.

"I love what they do. It looks like so much fun," she said. "I know there's pressure when you have UConn across your chest, but I love pressure. I love when the rival fans hate you -- that makes the game more fun and entertaining.

Well disappointing to say the least but at least Coach Whalen now knows not to keep a scholarship open and go hard after other recruits. Was hoping Bueckers would pull Ionescu and not go to a traditional power. I for one do not need to see a home and home with UConn, not a fan even if they fill their roster with all Minnesotans.

Well disappointing to say the least but at least Coach Whalen now knows not to keep a scholarship open and go hard after other recruits. Was hoping Bueckers would pull Ionescu and not go to a traditional power. I for one do not need to see a home and home with UConn, not a fan even if they fill their roster with all Minnesotans.

I am very disappointed for the program and for Lindsay. Clearly though, Paige wants to play with the best, and that was mentioned in an earlier post that Paige wants to play with best. As disappointing as it is, I understand that Paige would want that. So the question that comes up for me, is how did Geno and Muffet eventually get to where they are? They had to coach well before the recruits came. Obviously this had been stated as In this forum as Whalen’s challenge. I do want her to be successful.

On another note, the Big Ten can’t even compete well in the Elite Eight, ad Iowa got whomped by Baylor. Elite recruits take notice, right?

Go Gophers!

And now that Paige has made her decision, I'm looking forward to a new thread that focuses on the young women that will join us in upcoming seasons. Lindsay and crew are out there working hard for 2021's, 2022's and on. Those players will be the key to our long term success. Any coach in their first couple of years has little chance of getting players who someone else has been watching since junior high.

I am very disappointed for the program and for Lindsay. Clearly though, Paige wants to play with the best, and that was mentioned in an earlier post that Paige wants to play with best. As disappointing as it is, I understand that Paige would want that. So the question that comes up for me, is how did Geno and Muffet eventually get to where they are? They had to coach well before the recruits came. Obviously this had been stated as In this forum as Whalen’s challenge. I do want her to be successful.

On another note, the Big Ten can’t even compete well in the Elite Eight, ad Iowa got whomped by Baylor. Elite recruits take notice, right?

Go Gophers!

It took ten and fourteen years respectively before Auriema and McGraw won national championships.

It took Auriema four years to get UConn to its first NCAA appearance under his tutelage and ten years to win his first national championship.

For McGraw, it took seven years of coaching between Lehigh and Notre Dame to reach the WNIT. As Notre Dame Coach, it took four years to get to the first NCAA appearance.

Both Auriema's and McGraw's teams lost the first NCAA appearance in the first round.

Whalen is just starting her baby steps into coaching and recruiting. IMHO, she is learning to walk fast. I think Whalen and Minnesota are recruiting the right type of players that they can build a good team foundation to win. Her first full class of Scalia, Sconiers, Powell, Ross, and Cummings look like a good start for the program. It will boil down to her ability to coach and recruit.

Eventually, they'll start a winning tradition.

Last edited:

LAME. She could have been different, instead she did what all those that believe their stuff doesn't stink and take the ball and leave. I wish her no luck and no best wishes. Minnesota is a good place and the Gophers will build with players that want to be here. At UCONN she will just be another face in the crowd of great players. Big deals, with a whole bunch of players that think they are big deals. It is the easy way out, it is a lot harder to elevate and make other players better as a point guard. Whalen did that, she made Minnesota women's basketball relevant and will continue to do so. This kid could have had a great mentor, played for a female coach we need more of that in sports, that knows what huge expectations are, been a name and face on a banner, a lot of young girls wearing her jersey, in a full gym. Instead she picks UCONN because it was the easy way. I'm a Gopher fan so now I will be rooting for other great players. Don't care about UCONN because do not like their SMUG coach. Whatever dude, we will win with players that want to be here. Go Gophers!

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

And now that Paige has made her decision, I'm looking forward to a new thread that focuses on the young women that will join us in upcoming seasons. Lindsay and crew are out there working hard for 2021's, 2022's and on. Those players will be the key to our long term success. Any coach in their first couple of years has little chance of getting players who someone else has been watching since junior high.

Let’s see. We could call it The Future Whay?

LAME. She could have been different, instead she did what all those that believe their stuff doesn't stink and take the ball and leave. I wish her no luck and no best wishes. Minnesota is a good place and the Gophers will build with players that want to be here. At UCONN she will just be another face in the crowd of great players. Big deals, with a whole bunch of players that think they are big deals. It is the easy way out, it is a lot harder to elevate and make other players better as a point guard. Whalen did that, she made Minnesota women's basketball relevant and will continue to do so. This kid could have had a great mentor, played for a female coach we need more of that in sports, that knows what huge expectations are, been a name and face on a banner, a lot of young girls wearing her jersey, in a full gym. Instead she picks UCONN because it was the easy way. I'm a Gopher fan so now I will be rooting for other great players. Don't care about UCONN because do not like their SMUG coach. Whatever dude, we will win with players that want to be here. Go Gophers!

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

She went to play in the toughest program for the toughest coach where there is the most competition for playing time and you call that the easy way out? Wow. I'd love to hear your definition of difficult.
She made the choice that felt right to her, a choice that had been top of mind for years. Bueckers gave the Gophers a shot, but in the end chose the path most likely to yield a national championship and clear road to the WNBA. The least we can do is give her our respect.

She went to play in the toughest program for the toughest coach where there is the most competition for playing time and you call that the easy way out? Wow. I'd love to hear your definition of difficult.
She made the choice that felt right to her, a choice that had been top of mind for years. Bueckers gave the Gophers a shot, but in the end chose the path most likely to yield a national championship and clear road to the WNBA. The least we can do is give her our respect.

Well said. Am bummed but she didn't string the Gophers along so both sides can move on. Just really, really frustrating when kids in both men's and women's BB could get the programs to the next level and they go to the elites.

I can understand both sides of this topic. First and foremost, this is her decision. she is a 16/17 year old kid making a massive decision. As a lover of women's basketball I enjoy watching this kid because she is a hell of a player. Yes I agree I am also disappointed she didn't pick the gophers, but I also feel its not surprising she went to UConn. There are a few things I want to weigh-in on. Saying UConn has the most competition, I don't agree with that. They have a joke of a conference. In her four years, Paige may lose one conference game. Sorry on that front I agree to taking the easy road. However I do agree there is no more demanding coach in the country that Geno. He will squeeze out any ounce of potential a player has. In that sense she did not take the easy road. I also agree I'm happy the decision is out there, wasn't strung along and all parties can move forward. I still believe as I said long ago, I don't feel missing or getting Bueckers was going to decide my feelings on Whalen's recruiting. I will give that a few classes. So far the incoming one is looking promising. The other thing said about clear road to WNBA. that I also don't agree with. Tell that to A'ja Wilson, Elena Delle Donne, Seimone Augustus, Brittney Griner etc. Many greats in the league came from elsewhere in the country and are doing just fine in their pro careers. Also on that side note, I feel what women's basketball needs is more A'ja Wilsons. Her one title while building up her hometown school is more impressive than Breanna Stewarts 4 at UConn which was already a pre-built dynasty. I cant fault a kid for choosing what is right for them. I also think it probably means gophers get at least a game in the barn facing UConn sometime in bueckers career. Hopefully Whalen has the team on an elite level to compete with them.
To wrap it up, Yes I respect and wish Paige the best is all her future endeavors. Yes I still stand by women's basketball needs more A'ja Wilsons.

I'll weigh in with a couple of comments. I too was really hoping that Paige would commit to play for Whalen. Paige is a terrific player and if she had committed to the Gophers, I think she alone could have laid the groundwork for the program to become a national power under Whalen. That being said, I'm still thinking that Whalen will get the program to an elite national level...it will just take longer. Like bball, I too wish women's basketball had more players that are willing to be part of building programs instead of going to programs that are already national powers. One of the things I don't like about women's college basketball is the lack of parity. Seems like the same 6-8 teams every year going for a national championship. We've seen some progress in recent years with some lower seeded teams upsetting some higher seeded teams, but it's really slow progress. bball mentioned that Paige might be taking the easy route in regards to the conference that UConn is in. That's true, however one thing I like about Geno's UConn program is that they will play anyone, anywhere. And with their successes in NCAA tourneys, Paige will always get to play against the best teams in the country when it counts the most. And, finally, I don't think Paige going to UConn will be a mark against Whalen's recruiting abilities, as she just didn't have enough time to make a mark. Geno and many other renowned college coaches had been courting Paige for 4 or 5 years and it's unrealistic to see someone lock her up in less than a year of recruiting, even if that someone is Lindsay Whalen. I'm glad to see that Whalen and staff are now offering some of the in-state talent early, as early as 8th grade. There's something to be said about having a long relationship with a recruit.

A couple of other random things...I continue to be amazed at the success that men coaches have in the women's game. Which brings to mind, I'd like to see a study on whether some women prefer to play for a male coach. (It should be noted the Paige's high school coach is male and now her college coach will be male. Is that a possible factor? Some women are coached by their fathers from the first time they pick up a basketball and I am wondering if this is any kind of a factor in who they choose as their coaches when they get a chance to.) Along the same lines, when Brenda Oldfield (Freese) left here, I am convinced that the Gophers could have hired her assistant Jeff Walz, but they didn't offer him...one of the main reasons being that the sentiment at the time was for a female coach. (Chris Voelz was the athletic director, and, at the time, the Gophers had separate women's and men's athletic departments.) Although I have nothing against male coaches in the women's game and I only hope that someday we'll see female head coaches in the college men's game, it always amazes me how long it has taken for female coaches to fill the pipeline in a day and age where that should come naturally. Studies show that there is a lack of women getting into coaching. Prominent women's basketball programs such as UConn, Mississippi State, Louisville, Oregon all have male head coaches. Wow, did I get off on a tangent. Sorry!

I'm disappointed she didn't choose MN but I hold nothing against her. Whalen is unproven as a head coach. UCONN is the standard for womens college basketball. Do I wish she chose MN, yes. Paige will have an excellent career with the huskies and eventually the WNBA. No need to say anything negative about her.

I take Paige at her word that she'd thought/dreamed about being a Husky since her youth, so you can't come down on someone for pursuing a lifelong dream. She was a toddler when the Gophs went to the Final Four, so she essentially didn't experience that firsthand. If she had, it might have been a different story. This community had an orgasm when that team went to the FF. The love this state poured out to the Gopher women was like few things I'd ever seen.

I like the fact the U now has a woman president.

Could not agree more on blazing a new path.

I can understand both sides of this topic. First and foremost, this is her decision. she is a 16/17 year old kid making a massive decision. As a lover of women's basketball I enjoy watching this kid because she is a hell of a player. Yes I agree I am also disappointed she didn't pick the gophers, but I also feel its not surprising she went to UConn. There are a few things I want to weigh-in on. Saying UConn has the most competition, I don't agree with that. They have a joke of a conference. In her four years, Paige may lose one conference game. Sorry on that front I agree to taking the easy road. However I do agree there is no more demanding coach in the country that Geno. He will squeeze out any ounce of potential a player has. In that sense she did not take the easy road. I also agree I'm happy the decision is out there, wasn't strung along and all parties can move forward. I still believe as I said long ago, I don't feel missing or getting Bueckers was going to decide my feelings on Whalen's recruiting. I will give that a few classes. So far the incoming one is looking promising. The other thing said about clear road to WNBA. that I also don't agree with. Tell that to A'ja Wilson, Elena Delle Donne, Seimone Augustus, Brittney Griner etc. Many greats in the league came from elsewhere in the country and are doing just fine in their pro careers. Also on that side note, I feel what women's basketball needs is more A'ja Wilsons. Her one title while building up her hometown school is more impressive than Breanna Stewarts 4 at UConn which was already a pre-built dynasty. I cant fault a kid for choosing what is right for them. I also think it probably means gophers get at least a game in the barn facing UConn sometime in bueckers career. Hopefully Whalen has the team on an elite level to compete with them.
To wrap it up, Yes I respect and wish Paige the best is all her future endeavors. Yes I still stand by women's basketball needs more A'ja Wilsons.

You b-ball-craz-26 get what i meant about the easy path and the path less traveled, taking the easy way out was a metaphor for that. It is not easy blazing your own path instead of being like everyone else. There are easily two sides to the argument and in my opinion the easiest choice was always UCONN.
Just like UCONN for Women's basketball, Duke for Men's basketball and Alabama for Football, athletes and players are drawn to those coaches with imediate success, because they think that will put them on the path to stardom or superstardom . Everyone is right she is a great player and has to do what is best for her and her future and career. But I think she is making the wrong choice, just my opinion. Not many get a chance to be mentored by and coached by someone that has traveled the difficult path of almost anonymity (from high expectations and making other players better and elevating lower to lesser programs including the Lynx) This is a similar path that Buecker's is on towards success in Women's basketball and could have helped elevating the game in her home state or area. This is a lost opportunity for a unique experience of showing women coaching other women to be successful and showing other young girls you can be like me and change the college game. She has a right to choose her school, all of those accolades will be no different but to say I am happy about it would be a lie. Auriemma never sweat the color out of the jersey, in Norfolk Virginia, worked that hard to the point where she bled out the Maroon die in the jersey because she played so hard against Duke to bring her team to a final four. A player with that kind of passion, that competitive drive, I have no doubt that Coach Whalen will find the players that have that passion to compete at the level she has for the Minnesota Gophers.

Yep. There’s no blazing a trail and elevating a program in CT. That work has already been done. It would have definitely been a unique opportunity for her here. [emoji30]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@bball_craz_26 To be clear, I didn't say UCONN had the most competition. I said it had the most competition for playing time.

Even that is debatable in my view. I think it was the ESPN article that Paige is quoted saying Dangerfield graduated as Bueckers comes in plays into her decision. UConn recruited a shooting guard in 2019. Walker will be a senior and Williams a Junior for UConn but neither are PGs. Unless UConn is recruiting more PGs in class of 2020, what competition does she have to get playing time/starting PG role?

@bball_craz_26 To be clear, I didn't say UCONN had the most competition. I said it had the most competition for playing time.

Top Bottom