All Things Paige Bueckers Recruitment Thread - Videos, Analysis, Tid-Bits, Articles

gopherdude, your mention of the UCLA and K-State regionals brings back memories that I'll never forget. The crowds at those games were as emotional and boisterous as any crowds I've ever seen. The UCLA game was the game when Whalen returned after missing a lot of games with a broken arm or hand. The crowd gave her a wild welcome upon her returned and she carried the team on her back with a 30-plus point performance. The game two days later against a very good K-State team lead by Nicole Ohlde and Kendra Wecker was a blowout. Gophers dominated and McCarville owned Ohlde in the paint.

In watching the Minnesota girls high school tourney this week, the tv crew has panned to the banner of Whalen hanging from the rafters. She forever changed Minnesota girls basketball, whether she intended to or not.

I, like you, feel strongly that Whalen will transform the Gopher women's program into a national power. It's not going to happen overnight, but it's going to happen.

As for Bueckers, she has the rare opportunity to go to college anywhere she wants. I'm hoping that she'll decide to stay in Minnesota, where she can build her own legacy. She'll certainly have opportunities to win national titles at UConn or Notre Dame, but she'll just be part of another championship team at those schools; her legacy compared to and somewhat diminished by the championship teams before and after. Playing and winning a title for her homestate team would put her at a Whalenesque level.

We can dream about Bueckers playing @ the barn but it feels like a long shot. I'm liking our Whalen recruit Scalia who has a quick release and good ball handling skills.

We can dream about Bueckers playing @ the barn but it feels like a long shot. I'm liking our Whalen recruit Scalia who has a quick release and good ball handling skills.

Let’s make that dream become a reality and Paige signs with the gophers. Just think how many other recruits will be first in line to sign up as well. Up up and away we go. Go Gophers!

Bueckers has a lot of friends in USA basketball. If it turns out that Azzi Fudd is her closest friend in USA basketball and Bueckers wants to play with her during her college career, where do you suppose Fudd wants to play? Fudd gets even more hype than Bueckers.

Anybody else notice Bueckers’ new Instagram profile picture?
E3-ED9-CA7-D393-4-E2-D-AFD2-7-DC8-ABE36373.jpg

https://www.courant.com/sports/ucon...0190317-kqzcxuhawrhmfm7e4rtpjhs3du-story.html

"Spotted" means they found Doogie's tweet and noted it in the Courant.

Auriemma was also spotted in Minnesota right before the AAC Tournament, where point guard Paige Bueckers helped win a game that sent her team to the state tournament. Bueckers is the No. 1 recruit in the 2020 class and was a member of the 2018 U17 National Team. She was also named the 2018-19 Minnesota Gatorade Player of the Year.

With Auriemma’s trips to watch Bueckers and sit down with Muhl, it’s clear the UConn coach is searching for his next point guard. Crystal Dangerfield has one season left before graduating and moving onto the WNBA. Whoever the next point guard is will have big shoes to fill, with Dangerfield averaging a record-setting 6.1 assists per game this season and nearing the 1,000-career points mark with a year remaining at UConn.

Anybody else notice Bueckers’ new Instagram profile picture?
E3-ED9-CA7-D393-4-E2-D-AFD2-7-DC8-ABE36373.jpg

No, but the picture is definitely taken at the Barn, most likely at Saturday’s 4A championship game. You can see the mid court M.

We’ld like to believe the Barn backdrop maybe means something more significant, but probably just means she’s happy to win the state title after several Hopkins attempts.

Hope she liked playing at the Barn tho. Maybe she can envision her jersey hanging on the wall next to Lindsay’s and Rachel’s.

Last edited:

No, but the picture is definitely taken at the Barn, most likely at Saturday’s 4A championship game. You can see the mid court M.

We’ld like to believe the Barn backdrop maybe means something more significant, but probably just means she’s happy to win the state title after several Hopkins attempts.

Hope she liked playing at the Barn tho. Maybe she can envision her jersey hanging on the wall next to Lindsay’s and Rachel’s.

A number change would be required ...

A number change would be required ...

Why? There are 2 number 13s hanging up there. It's not clear that they are retired numbers or numbers that incoming players would chose to avoid out of respect. But I don't know for sure if they are retired or not.

You’re pretty sharp because there’s nothing else to see in the pic. That’s precisely why I posted it.

There’s nothing to show she won anything in this pic. There’s several others she could have used for that, but she choose this one possibly out of pride. That’s what “we’d” like to believe.

Lindsay had her recognition first. Deb Hunter played before Whalen and wore 13. When she was honored, her banner showed her wearing 13.The number has been retired since Whalen's recognition

They don’t seem to retire numbers at UConn. Probably not enough numbers to go around. For example, Maya Moore had #23. Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis used the same number right after her.

They don’t seem to retire numbers at UConn. Probably not enough numbers to go around. For example, Maya Moore had #23. Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis used the same number right after her.

Because of the arcane college (and high school) numbering rules, you can only retire so many numbers. They seem to think referees and official scorers have trouble with numbers greater than 5.

You’re pretty sharp because there’s nothing else to see in the pic. That’s precisely why I posted it.

There’s nothing to show she won anything in this pic. There’s several others she could have used for that, but she choose this one possibly out of pride. That’s what “we’d” like to believe.

Shades, it was more of a feat for you to spot it in the first place. The white-ish floor and the stylish accent on the M were giveaways. But I did google a Barn floor picture to verify. I figured you put it out there as a teaser, it was late and no one responding, so figured it was on me.

Who knows, maybe it was a little tell on her part. If so, Paige, we’re all behind those Gopher pride thoughts. Make it so, and we’ll sell out the Barn for you. You had a little taste of how that sounds on Saturday.

I don't disagree with you. But, I suspect it is because of the fingers limitation per hand.

Paige got a little taste of what playing in the barn for college would be like. Paige winning a championship here for Hopkins could be a major pull for the Goohers.

Oh oh....

Why the oh oh? They wanna play good teams out of state like most other stats allow. Minnesota doesnt let them travel to national events. Hopkins is a top 25 program and wins every game in MN by 20+. Cant blame them for wanting to play better competition.

Last edited:

They wanna play good teams out of state like most other stats allow.

I don’t care about other stats. I only care about this stat.

Anyway, I know she’s talking about something entirely different. But if you think about it in a Freudian way, do we really need to spread our MN talents? In the case of Bueckers, I say NO! #CLOSETHEMNBORDERS

Don’t get too butthurt about what I’m saying here. Lighten up. It’s not that serious.

Anyway, I know she’s talking about something entirely different. But if you think about it in a Freudian way, do we really need to spread our MN talents? In the case of Bueckers, I say NO! #CLOSETHEMNBORDERS

Don’t get too butthurt about what I’m saying here. Lighten up. It’s not that serious.

Not sure how im butthurt but ok, kids wanna play national events. The MSHSL doesnt let them and its a stupid rule.

Oh great. Now I can't stop imagining Bueckers announcing on a TV special "I'm going to take my Minnesota Talents to South Bend".

Last edited:

If you are not grateful to have received one of the few scholarships offered minnesota hs players and are not a committed Gopher or Lindsay Whalen fan then you should go play for Muffet McGraw who has absolutely no experience as a WNBA player, All Star, Olympian and future Hall of Famer!! It’s not that hard!!

And Muffet already has an NCAA title on her resume. Not saying Bueckers should go to ND...just questioning the logic offered above.

per Shama:

Hopkins star point guard Paige Bueckers is on spring break this week in Billings, Montana, where she is instructing youngsters at the free “Buckets With Bueckers” clinics. Paige’s mom, Amy, lives in Billings.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

So when she doesn't sign with the Gophers.................

Top Bottom