All Things P.J. Fleck Rumor Mill Thread - Listed as Candidate for Other Jobs

Nebraska isn't all that different from Minnesota -- just with a smaller graveyard and more recent national success. They also have a very profitable athletic department, better fan support, better boosters, soon to be newer facilities, and better gameday atmosphere.
And a horrible place to live if you like restaurants, theater, lakes, etc. If you're Mrs. Head Coach, would you want to I've there. Apparently Mrs. Frost doesn't.

With the transfer portal available, how crazy it’ll be if Fleck jumps ship…all of our MN players goes also 😆
I wonder about this, not so much here. Lets say a popular coach gets fired somewhere and all of his players get mad. Are most of them going to leave?

Nebraska isn't all that different from Minnesota -- just with a smaller graveyard and more recent national success. They also have a very profitable athletic department, better fan support, better boosters, soon to be newer facilities, and better gameday atmosphere.
The Minnesota Athletics Department has revenue shortfalls that are supported, in part by revenue provided by the state government coffers here. Our administrators don’t appear to be great fund raisers, and, unfortunately, we don’t know how to sell out events and get big donors interested in opening their wallets. Or, it might have a lot to do with mlb, nfl, nhl, nba, wnba, professional soccer all being better fundraisers than our athletics departments?

Last edited:

MN Vikings job opening soon...

//ducks

I have wondered if during the Bowling Green week Fleck may have been looking at other opportunities as he was on the USC and others list, allegedly. It's the only thing I can think of as to why we lost to BG. Im just thinking out loud, forgive me please. Lol
This is definitely something

a thought - once upon a time, the goal of most people for employment was to get a good job with a good company, with benefits and a pension plan, and work there until you retired.

But today, especially with younger people, things have changed. younger people IMHO do not seem to be as concerned with stability. they are fine with changing jobs more frequently, or even moving from one city to another more frequently.

And I think this is being reflected in coaching, especially with younger coaches. I don't know if the goal is to get a job at school A and stay there for 20 years. It seems as if younger coaches are more willing to switch jobs. I don't think you're going to see a Ferentz at the same school for 20 years anymore.

Maybe Fleck will be the exception. But, if I had to bet my own money, I would bet that Fleck is not coaching the Gophers 10 years from now. That is not a reflection on Fleck or the Gopher program - I just think the days of the long-time coach are behind us.
Ahhh. Yes. All those pensions that are being handed out to 20 somethings in the workforce. I know of exactly 0 private businesses offering pensions.

The Minnesota Athletics Department has revenue shortfalls that are supported, in part by revenue provided by the state government coffers here. Our administrators don’t appear to be great fund raisers, and, unfortunately, we don’t know how to sell out events and get big donors interested in opening their wallets. Or, it might have a lot to do with mlb, nfl, nhl, nba, wnba, professional soccer all being better fundraisers than our athletics departments?
That isn't true

It certainly was in 2020 when sports were cut and the U was considering taking on additional debt to cover among a few other things a very large athletic department shortfall.

It certainly was in 2020 when sports were cut and the U was considering taking on additional debt to cover among a few other things a very large athletic department shortfall.
I agree our department needs to do a better job raising funds (almost nonexistent under Coyle) but outside of the pandemic-induced issues the department has always broken even.

Ahhh. Yes. All those pensions that are being handed out to 20 somethings in the workforce. I know of exactly 0 private businesses offering pensions.

did you miss the words "once upon a time"....? I was talking about my generation or even my father's generation when many jobs included a pension plan - as a contrast to today's generation.

I don't think it is as plug and play as Alabama was when Saban got there -- but I think that the media narrative about why would anyone go there is off base. Alabama to their credit wasn't in as big of a hole as Nebraska, but programs with resources can bounce back pretty quick, especially when they are in weak divisons.
Nebraska's California connection dried up when Osborne left and they have never been the same. In addition, the Big Ten is a tough gig compared to the Big 8 that they used to share with Oklahoma primarily. Bo was a good coach, but they wanted what Osborne did and they will never be that level of power consistently again. No one is except Alabama in the SEC, Ohio State in the Big Ten has done it through coaching changes, and Clemson in recent years until this year in the ACC. Maybe USC could rise into that again, but I don't see anyone else doing it.

Also, the difference you reference between Alabama and Nebraska is significant - there is no talent base in Nebraska, and the one within two hours in each direction of Alabama is huge. Nebraska, it could be argued, has the smallest talent base in the conference. They are farther from any population base than any other school, and there are few direct flights into Lincoln making outstate recruiting even more challenging, which has been a huge selling point for Fleck to recruits outside Minnesota. Nebraska's "success" is as ancient history to 16 and 17 year-old's as the Gophers.

Also, for Fleck, the West is a great place to be compared to most Power 5 spots. There is a legitimate chance to compete each year with no OSU on our side. And, at Minnesota, people are much more patient than they would ever be at Nebraska.

Last edited:

Ha ha ha ha ha ha……….. really?

Nebraska's California connection dried up when Osborne left and they have never been the same. In addition, the Big Ten is a tough gig compared to the Big 8 that they used to share with Oklahoma primarily. Bo was a good coach, but they wanted what Osborne did and they will never be that level of power consistently again. No one is except Alabama in the SEC, Ohio State in the Big Ten has done it through coaching changes, and Clemson in recent years until this year in the ACC. Maybe USC could rise into that again, but I don't see anyone else doing it.

Also, the difference you reference between Alabama and Nebraska is significant - there is no talent base in Nebraska, and the one within two hours in each direction of Alabama is huge. Nebraska, it could be argued, has the smallest talent base in the conference. They are farther from any population base than any other school, and there are few direct flights into Lincoln making outstate recruiting even more challenging, which has been a huge selling point for Fleck to recruits outside Minnesota. Nebraska's "success" is as ancient history to 16 and 17 year-old's as the Gophers.

Also, for Fleck, the West is a great place to be compared to most Power 5 spots. There is a legitimate chance to compete each year with no OSU on our side. And, at Minnesota, people are much more patient than they would ever be at Nebraska.
Good points in terms of local talent. That is what I was implying with the plug and play comment. But Alabama has not done it through coaching changes. Thats why I brought them up -- for the 10 years before Saban they were a middling team worse than the Pelini Huskers. To your point about their success being ancient, you are right that these kids might even think more of our program than theirs -- but the success being more recent shows in their fan support and boosters. Kids care about playing in front of 70K fans vs 35K.

Regardless, I just think that the desire for people to dunk on the bugeaters clouds the reality that they are one hire away from competing in the conference.

Last edited:

The NFL has a nice pension for their employees, thankful my wife worked in the league for over ten years and will benefit in retirement. The Mayo Clinic has a great pension fund as well.

The NFL has a nice pension for their employees, thankful my wife worked in the league for over ten years and will benefit in retirement. The Mayo Clinic has a great pension fund as well.
My wife has a pension from work, but that program went away for new hires

About 15% of fortune 500s currently offer pensions to new hires. Most of those are a design that looks a lot like a 401k so employees might not appreciate the difference.

About 15% of fortune 500s currently offer pensions to new hires. Most of those are a design that looks a lot like a 401k so employees might not appreciate the difference.
Are they in place of 401ks or in addition to?

Is the California connection Osborne had true? Admittedly, I'm not most plugged person regarding this stuff, but it makes sense. It's the first time I've heard it.

Are they in place of 401ks or in addition to?
Most have both. Really, you gotta look at the value of each combined. There’s a wide range in the % of pay that is provided. But most have moved away from the old school pensions to reduce costs.

I heard a rumor that he's going to sign a big contract with Minnesota, the bastards.

Tom Pelissero lists coaches to watch in future years that could be a target of NFL, including Gophers Fleck:

Others to Watch:

• Dolphins DBs coach Gerald Alexander, 37
  • Chargers secondary coach Derrick Ansley, 39
  • Titans DC Shane Bowen, 34
  • Colts OC Marcus Brady, 42
  • Rams RB coach/assistant HC Thomas Brown, 35
  • Patriots TE/FB coach Nick Caley, 38
  • Bengals OC Brian Callahan, 37
  • Dolphins LB coach Anthony Campanile, 39
  • Ohio State coach Ryan Day, 42
  • Bears passing game coordinator/QB coach John DeFilippo, 43
  • Bears DC Sean Desai, 38
  • Bills QBs coach/passing game coordinator Ken Dorsey, 40
  • Cowboys DL coach Aden Durde, 42
  • Clemson OC Tony Elliott, 41
  • Rams secondary coach/pass game coordinator Ejiro Evero, 40
  • Bills special teams coordinator Heath Farwell, 39
  • Vikings special teams coordinator Ryan Ficken, 41
  • Minnesota coach P.J. Fleck, 40

Go Gophers!!

Tom Pelissero lists coaches to watch in future years that could be a target of NFL, including Gophers Fleck:

Others to Watch:

• Dolphins DBs coach Gerald Alexander, 37
  • Chargers secondary coach Derrick Ansley, 39
  • Titans DC Shane Bowen, 34
  • Colts OC Marcus Brady, 42
  • Rams RB coach/assistant HC Thomas Brown, 35
  • Patriots TE/FB coach Nick Caley, 38
  • Bengals OC Brian Callahan, 37
  • Dolphins LB coach Anthony Campanile, 39
  • Ohio State coach Ryan Day, 42
  • Bears passing game coordinator/QB coach John DeFilippo, 43
  • Bears DC Sean Desai, 38
  • Bills QBs coach/passing game coordinator Ken Dorsey, 40
  • Cowboys DL coach Aden Durde, 42
  • Clemson OC Tony Elliott, 41
  • Rams secondary coach/pass game coordinator Ejiro Evero, 40
  • Bills special teams coordinator Heath Farwell, 39
  • Vikings special teams coordinator Ryan Ficken, 41
  • Minnesota coach P.J. Fleck, 40

Go Gophers!!
I love Fleck. I hope he is with the Gophers a long time.

Having said that Fleck would be as successful in the NFL as Lou Holtz was with the New York Jets

I love Fleck. I hope he is with the Gophers a long time.

Having said that Fleck would be as successful in the NFL as Lou Holtz was with the New York Jets
Yeah the NFL market for a never been coordinator with poor situational game management is fairly limited, save Dan Campbell.

Very well said post.

And I think a big things for Nebraska were:
- they ran the triple option offense, which was what it was
- their linemen were all roided up to the gills
- they got players that wouldn't qualify at any other "P5" (equivalent) schools

They basically cheated a lot.

That's what you needed to do to overcome all the disadvantages you list. Now, that's not allowed, and they simply cannot. At least, like you say, not with anywhere near the consistency as the true "college football royalty" that are expected to win minimum 11 games per year.

I understand the reasons why he did it, and in some senses, it was correct, at the time.

But in hindsight, convincing the Big Ten presidents to choose Nebraska was Jim Delaney's biggest blunder of his career.

To justify giving them a full slice of the TV pie that they get .... the deal was that they needed to be an elite college football program and deliver big bowl wins and occasional nattys.

They are far, far from that.

Top Bottom