All Things P.J. Fleck Rumor Mill Thread - Listed as Candidate for Other Jobs

Starting over while making $7 million a year for several years is something I could do. It's basically winning the lottery. You wouldn't ever have to work again even if you were an absolute failure.

I've seen variations of this logic multiple times in this thread. While it may be your goal to never have to work again (I know it's mine), there is no way that Fleck is looking for a path to early retirement.

Starting over while making $7 million a year for several years is something I could do. It's basically winning the lottery. You wouldn't ever have to work again even if you were an absolute failure.
Unless he is a complete idiot with his money he and his kids are already set forever with his current compensation

Unless he is a complete idiot with his money he and his kids are already set forever with his current compensation
True. I wasn't necessarily talking about PJ. Just the idea of the opportunity to move to a new place while making a fortune.

I've seen variations of this logic multiple times in this thread. While it may be your goal to never have to work again (I know it's mine), there is no way that Fleck is looking for a path to early retirement.
Yeah I don't think most college coaches are wired that way.

Ferentz's name came up every year for potential job openings throughout most of the 2000s. His agent was ruthless, using that to get multiple contract extensions and pay raises and other things like assistant raises. At one point Ferentz was the third highest paid coach in the entire country. His extension as recently as 2016 made him the 8th highest paid coach. It also validated him. "Turning down" NFL offers and staying at Iowa helped build his reputation.

Wisconsin has literally had two coaches take other jobs in the past eight years! Bielema and Anderson both left on their own accord. In fact, Wisconsin is on its fourth coach in the past 16 years. The three previous ones all left on their own, either retiring or taking other jobs.

I am probably in the minority, but I think it is a good thing to have PJ's name come up a lot. It says he is well regarded and we should be trumpeting that we have a coach in demand. It reinforces the idea that we have a big time guy. And every time he stays after his name comes up, it only validates that he wants to coach here. It just continues to build the brand.
How many big jobs have actually offered to Fleck ? There are likely only 4-5 schools he is interested in and none of them are open. Even if they were it is far from a given that he is choice number one or that he would even go. It is ok to just enjoy him being here.

Last edited:

Per 247Sports...according to Scoggins:
Report: PJ Fleck 'not interested' in Tennessee job

Well that was a fun week. At least our coach is considered for a big job opening. Hopefully we have another big season and can justify giving him a extension with a huge buy out clause.

Heupel to Tennessee, everyone can relax

But we all know many won't relax and will freak out every time Fleck's name is mentioned in connection with another job. Because those people just assume he is going to leave us in-spite of everything he has said and done over the past few seasons.

Until there is some credible source that Fleck is actually interested in the open job then it is really pointless to worry about it just because some talking head thinks he should be a candidate for it.

Odd hire to me.

I think Tennessee under a cloud isn’t a job many college football media would like to think it is.
Forgot UCF AD was just nabbed by TN
Makes more sense to me now

It's quite entertaining that every once in a while, Gopherholers get all riled up like a bunch of clucking chickens. It doesn't take much to set it off. As it turns out, we are safe. :eek::cheer: Welcome to Gopher Country!

Last edited:

Forgot UCF AD was just nabbed by TN
Makes more sense to me now
"Sorry Josh, but I couldn't rope someone else into this mess, will you be the sacrificial lamb to build the foundation?"

"Sorry Josh, but I couldn't rope someone else into this mess, will you be the sacrificial lamb to build the foundation?"
They probably like working together

I was more thinking JH was a below average hire. He hasn’t really maintained UCF at the level they were when he took over

It's quite entertaining that every once in a while, Gopherholers get all riled up like a bunch of clucking chickens. It doesn't take much to set it up. As it turns out, we are safe. :eek::cheer: Welcome to Gopher Country!

Been discussed here before, I call it the Lou Holtz effect. 35 years ago our head football coach was poached by a "big name" school and from that day on many fans have just lived in constant fear that it will happen again......even though the last time was 35 years ago.....

What so many fail to realize is that we are not a MAC school that has to live in constant fear of their coaches being stolen. Sure Fleck could leave at some point, but in spite of what some fans think I would bet the list of places he would leave for is very very small. But of course that won't stop people from panicking and assuming he is gone the moment his name gets mentioned....because you know....Lou Holtz....35 years ago.....

Confirming my guess: this says that White was close to finalizing a deal with Penn State's James Franklin, but they couldn't close it out. https://tenntruth.com/2021/01/27/tennessee-football-danny-white-makes-expected-unexpected-hire-time/

I think it’s fair to say that Danny White is one of the best athletic directors in the country, and he’d use Tennessee’s money and resources to hire the best possible head coach for Tennessee Football.

Out of the coaches rumored to potentially be coming to Rocky Top, one coach that a lot of people never considered as a serious candidate is UCF’s, Josh Heupel.

That could be because White just left UCF and upgraded to a Power 5 program that gives him more opportunities and options when it comes to hiring a head coach. A report came out the other day that Tennessee was close to getting the deal done with James Franklin, but that didn’t happen.

We don’t know what option Franklin was in terms of was he the first coach to get a call from Tennessee or the last Power 5 coach to be offered, but the Vols seemingly went from Franklin to Heupel in about a day.

Tennessee Football announced the hire on their social media platforms, and it’s clear that there’s already a division within the fan base about the hire. Some fans like the hire, and many others have been unafraid to voice that they don’t like the hire.

I guess Franklin is realizing that he's always going to be second fiddle in the East to Ohio State, no matter what he does.

How many big jobs have actually offered to Fleck ? There are likely only 4-5 schools he is interested in and none of them are open. Even if they were it is far from a given that he is choice number one or that he would even go. It is ok to just enjoy him being here.
I don’t know about who officially “offered” him but both Florida State and Tennessee have reached out to his camp the two years. Sounds like Fleck had zero interest in FSU and with Tennessee he did “pick up the phone” but as we know, ultimately didn’t take the job.

I don’t know about who officially “offered” him but both Florida State and Tennessee have reached out to his camp the two years. Sounds like Fleck had zero interest in FSU and with Tennessee he did “pick up the phone” but as we know, ultimately didn’t take the job.

Fleck had just enough interest in FSU to get a fat contract extension a few days after that rumor.

Are we sure he even talked to Tennessee or they just "vetted him" on their own?

I think it is important to be really careful with how much stock is put into any of these rumors. Sure places like footballscoop are very plugged in but a lot of what they do is based on rumors and hearsay.

The coaching carousel involves a lot of rumors every year but not all those rumors are based on anything concrete.

I think it is important to be really careful with how much stock is put into any of these rumors. Sure places like footballscoop are very plugged in but a lot of what they do is based on rumors and hearsay.

The coaching carousel involves a lot of rumors every year but not all those rumors are based on anything concrete.
Well last year Megan Ryan and the Star Tribune did report that Florida State reached out to Fleck’s representation last year and they declined to reciprocate that interest.

And Burns and others plugged in on GI, not just FB scoop, have said that Tennessee did in fact reach out to Fleck and that he “picked up the phone” in fact those on GI, one poster in particular, knew that Pruitt would be fired and Fleck would be given a call, before Pruitt was even fired.

So I think it’s safe to say that in these two instances, they were more than just internet rumors and we can say with a reasonable degree of confidence that both of these programs did in fact reach out to Fleck.

Or what I’m trying to say is that this is more than just Sir Yacht or Dan Patrick tweeting something out.

Fleck had just enough interest in FSU to get a fat contract extension a few days after that rumor.

Are we sure he even talked to Tennessee or they just "vetted him" on their own?
According to the report, Tennessee's search firm vetted him. "Vetted" can mean almost anything, and doesn't necessarily mean an interview, but it does indicate that they believed he might be attainable.

There's been a lot of talk in this thread about Fleck's name being floated for job openings. There's a difference between a reporter or blogger floating your name and having him show interest, and it seems clear that he showed some interest in this job. That doesn't mean he wanted it badly or he's itching to leave Minnesota. It doesn't mean that anything got close. But he indicated some interest to someone.

Top Bottom