All Things Nolan Winter Recruitment Thread (Class of 2023, Gophers Offered, Son of Trevor)

Think again. The Winters have tailgated at Gopher football games for years…if the kid chooses Wisconsin it’s not because of Trevor’s fandom.
I know I'm being paranoid, but is anyone else concerned that he's announcing it via Twitter? I mean if he's announcing for the Gophers, than why not do it in front of a packed gym with the local news stations there? Please....someone talk me off the ledge.....
Damn near every other recruit I can remember who did the gym bit ended up going somewhere else. They kept up the bull shit of having us in their top five or top three when they had eliminated us way back when. It was just a ploy to garner as much attention and ass kissing as possible. Tyus was the first one to do it and I've been bitter about it ever since. I take this as a very positive sign simply based on history.

Winter commits on Friday, gophers crush MSU on Saturday.

Not a bad weekend.
This sounds great! I just wish I wasnt a cynical MN Sports fan who just assumes Winter to UW, Gophers Lose, and Vikings lose to DET ha

I do like he isnt dragging it out, again would REALLY suck if it was WI but either way at least we will know.

I know I'm being paranoid, but is anyone else concerned that he's announcing it via Twitter? I mean if he's announcing for the Gophers, than why not do it in front of a packed gym with the local news stations there? Please....someone talk me off the ledge.....
I don't think he's quite a big enough recruit for the local TV stations to make a big deal about it.

That said, the best advise is to assume he's a Badger and be pleasantly surprised if he's not.

This would be a bad miss, I'm super excited for Christie and Evans don't get me wrong, but they've clearly made Winter a priority and to miss him is a bad look, regardless of ranking.

This sounds great! I just wish I wasnt a cynical MN Sports fan who just assumes Winter to UW, Gophers Lose, and Vikings lose to DET ha

I do like he isnt dragging it out, again would REALLY suck if it was WI but either way at least we will know.
What is your definition of dragging it out? When he decides hes figured it out and makes a decision or when you want him to make decision? Lol

I see no Crystal Balls Two days away..is it really that secretive or were there some that disappeared? Or?
He's #176...that must be high enough to get some attention?
Doesn't feel real good right now...
We are at #55 with Christie.

I think you are wrong. No reason for him to choose anything else but Minnesota
He will be a badger. I've always felt he wasn't going to be a gopher, because he would have committed months ago. On the other hand, I'm not overly high on this kid.

We hired Ben Johnson for players like this. This is a huge blow to him in my opinion.

Dennis Evans would make up for it though.

This would be a bad miss, I'm super excited for Christie and Evans don't get me wrong, but they've clearly made Winter a priority and to miss him is a bad look, regardless of ranking.
How can it be a bad look? You've made him a priority and recruited the hell out of him. Pampered him to death and he chooses wisconsin. What you gonna do? Doesnt look bad to me if we try hard and he picks another school. Would have been nice but, get Evans and we are moving in right direction.

How can it be a bad look? You've made him a priority and recruited the hell out of him. Pampered him to death and he chooses wisconsin. What you gonna do? Doesnt look bad to me if we try hard and he picks another school. Would have been nice but, get Evans and we are moving in right direction.
Ben was supposed to clean this stuff up and keep a kid like this here. If Ben is different, he keeps him here.

Ben was supposed to clean this stuff up and keep a kid like this here. If Ben is different, he keeps him here.
Carrington, Payne, JOJ, Battle, Garcia, and working hard on 2024s. It’s been pretty clean so far. This is a loss no doubt, but he’s at least got higher rated players from out of state and no one will feel slighted in the local hoops community about the effort given to Winter recruiting.

Carrington, Payne, JOJ, Battle, Garcia, and working hard on 2024s. It’s been pretty clean so far. This is a loss no doubt, but he’s at least got higher rated players from out of state and no one will feel slighted in the local hoops community about the effort given to Winter recruiting.
Well yes, the effort was there, but we didn't get him.

This was supposed to be Ben's calling card. I'm actually surprised he didn't land him.

I want a good coach like Clem Haskins. Maybe Ben can be that.

What I DO NOT want is to emulate Wisconsin's style of play. They can have the Winter-types.
And go to their NCAA tournaments with that style of play 🙄

So instead we got the #1 guy in Illinois,
got #2 guy in colorado, and maybe a top 30 5 star guy from california. Shame on Ben. We have to get those Minnesota guys! Yeah we need to close the borders, but if we get Evan's I can care less about where they are from. Is Winter better than these 3? If so, I'll stop talking!

Well yes, the effort was there, but we didn't get him.

This was supposed to be Ben's calling card. I'm actually surprised he didn't land him.
I’m surprised too, but look at how many MN guys he’s landed so far was my point. In my eyes he’s been doing what he was supposed to do. Like I said, it’s a loss no doubt, but it’s one loss and we had a guy at the same position who was ranked higher before he reclassified. I think we will be ok and I’ll let this one slide until I see an actual pattern.

And go to their NCAA tournaments with that style of play 🙄
I reiterate that I want a Clem Haskins type team. Or Tubby's NCAA team...but with Royce White & Trevor Mbakwe added to it like it should have been.

I don't want a team full of Reuvers, Carlsens, Illikainens, Winters, etc.

Top Bottom