All Things New Gopher Uniforms/Helmets Thread: UPDATED 1/20 with New Uniforms!!!

new Gopher FB pic, anyone know what it means/stands for?
View attachment 1565
Here goes:

"Sisu is a Finnish term loosely translated into English as strength of will, determination, perseverance, and acting rationally in the face of adversity. However, the word is widely considered to lack a proper translation into any other language. Sisu has been described as being integral to understanding Finnish culture. The literal meaning is equivalent in English to "having guts", and the word derives from sisus, which means something inner or interior. However sisu is defined by a long-term element in it; it is not momentary courage, but the ability to sustain an action against the odds. Deciding on a course of action and then sticking to that decision against repeated failures is sisu. It is similar to equanimity, except the forbearance of sisu has a grimmer quality of stress management than the latter. The noun sisu is related to the adjective sisukas, one having the quality of sisu."

"Sisu" is a Finnish word that translates into English (loosely, not literal) as strength/determination/quiet fortitude/resilience in the face of adversity, etc. Basically a word that encapsulates the strong, silent type common among the Nordic people.

Here goes:

"Sisu is a Finnish term loosely translated into English as strength of will, determination, perseverance, and acting rationally in the face of adversity. However, the word is widely considered to lack a proper translation into any other language. Sisu has been described as being integral to understanding Finnish culture. The literal meaning is equivalent in English to "having guts", and the word derives from sisus, which means something inner or interior. However sisu is defined by a long-term element in it; it is not momentary courage, but the ability to sustain an action against the odds. Deciding on a course of action and then sticking to that decision against repeated failures is sisu. It is similar to equanimity, except the forbearance of sisu has a grimmer quality of stress management than the latter. The noun sisu is related to the adjective sisukas, one having the quality of sisu."

Awesome. First thought that came to my mind when reading that: Speak softly and carry a big stick. Not totally the same but just what i thought.

Here goes:

"Sisu" is a Finnish word that translates into English (loosely, not literal) as strength/determination/quiet fortitude/resilience in the face of adversity, etc. Basically a word that encapsulates the strong, silent type common among the Nordic people.

Friggin' awesome! I absolutely love these types of little 'catchphrases'. Kinda like 'Skol' for the Vikings. Who's idea was this? Give that man a raise!!

Suck
It,
Skunk
University

This is probably my favorite post recently. I want a damn t-shirt. emann???

20120513105343-b147e2e4.gif

I'm stealing this from 101st Gopher over at GS:

GS: What was your favorite part about the recruiting process?
Damarius Travis: “My visit, they have a major I’m interested in, the new uniforms and the coaching."

Nothing wrong with looking good while you are playing!

Sisu - a single word that encapsulates what this football team needs more than anything - Grim Forbearance.

Damn I hope this one sticks. The linguist in me loves this crap ever so much more than Rose Bowl turf and hot chili! Kudos to whomever thought of this one!

I'm stealing this from 101st Gopher over at GS:

GS: What was your favorite part about the recruiting process?
Damarius Travis: “My visit, they have a major I’m interested in, the new uniforms and the coaching."

Nothing wrong with looking good while you are playing!

Can't deny that new uni's, pro combats or whatever have a deciding vote for players. Major contributor to the decision, probably not but enough to sway a decision for sure. And thats for the U which doesn't have the flashiest new uniforms but you could imagine the sway it could have at Autzen.

icedavis said:
Can't deny that new uni's, pro combats or whatever have a deciding vote for players. Major contributor to the decision, probably not but enough to sway a decision for sure. And thats for the U which doesn't have the flashiest new uniforms but you could imagine the sway it could have at Autzen.

Many on here deny that. They cite Alabama, USC, OSU, etc as examples even though those schools would still recruit well no matter what uniform they used.

Because of two teams on the field, a team must have two uniforms(or at least two different jerseys).

If a team has nine different 'combinations', do they have uniforms or just a bunch of similar clothes/outfits?

:confused:

Many on here deny that. They cite Alabama, USC, OSU, etc as examples even though those schools would still recruit well no matter what uniform they used.

This is true to an extent but at the end of the day its happening, the quote is proof, even if they want to deny it.

The following is further explanation that you may skip if its annoying enough that this topic keeps hanging around:

Its a fair argument and like you said they generally will still recruit well anyway because of the name of the school and such but even then Alabama, OSU and many of the other big schools still went with the pro combat looks and can still dangle that carrot in front of prospects which have uniforms as a deal-maker/breaker type component that they may have lost otherwise. Similar to diversifying a portfolio. They will say check this out, we have this great tradition and everything but when we step out of that tradition once in a while, look at what "great things we do".

And I am sure the following has been discussed ad nauseum... but it benefits schools in so many ways that there is no way an Athletic Department can overlook it simply for tradition's sake. Will they take action on it is another story and it seems as though the attention and the players it draws is enough sway to force the AD's hand into going for a pro-combat like change. Even if they don't but to a lesser extent the rumor mill starts swirling, a la the Huskers rumored black helmets last season that never happened and now the confirmed alternates for this season, the free publicity, exposure, attention, hype, advertising, whatever you call it is pure gold, cash in their pockets (not in a literal sense) for those schools. Why wouldn't you? Heck why wouldn't you stir the pot and spread rumors about your own school to get them back in the hype machine, i.e. all those Athletic department tweeted "mock helmets" that keep making the rounds for different schools. Whatever it takes for winning and money and any smart athletic department would take advantage of it for money and wins.

I think it was Cory Joseph that said he pictured himself at all his top schools. He would think about living on their campus, wearing their jerseys, playing in their stadium, etc. I bet a lot of recruits paint mental pictures like that. So whether they realize it or not, the jerseys probably indirectly impact their decision a little bit.

"@GopherGridiron: For those wondering the new #Gophers uniforms WILL be in the NCAA 13 video game!"

GophersVideoGame.jpg

Go Gophers!!

Those uni's were mocked up by somebody when we were all speculating on what the new uni's might look like. I believe those are TCU's template with Minnesota colors. In fact I believe you can see those uniforms and many others on this thread, just go back about 50 pages!

Those were ones I mocked up for FBT last December. I took the Missouri Pro Combat jersey and altered it a bit. Here's that post if anyone is interested. That's pretty cool that he used that as his background.

Tweet: "@NSandell: Spoke with Jerry Kill this afternoon. He confirmed #Gophers will wear patch on their jerseys this season honoring Gary Tinsley"

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom