All Things Movie/Documentary Reviews/Recommendations Thread

Ran across an older documentary - available free on YouTube -
"This Movie Is Not Yet Rated..."

It's about the MPAA movie rating system. goes into how movie ratings are issued. Definitely has a point of view - criticizing the system for being arbitrary on how some movies get an R or an NC-17 and other movies get less restrictive ratings. Apparently they don't like sexual content - that is much more likely to get the NC-17 as opposed to gore or violence.

The other big point is that the people on the board who actually watch movies and issue the ratings are kept secret - their identities are not disclosed and they all sign non-disclosure agreements so that they can't talk about it when they leave the board. So the director of the documentary actually hired private investigators to try and find out who these people are.

If you have 90 minutes to kill, worth watching if you're a movie buff.
I remember liking it a lot.

My Dinner With Herve (yes the one from Fantasy Island) on HBO Max was interesting, quirky and fun. I'd recommend it if you're looking for an offbeat story with more depth than I expected.

Based on a true story and the book it spawned it stares Peter Dinklage as Herve.

Last edited:

Watched a documentary on Netflix, Pele. It was good. Quite the star at 17 years of age for Brazil in the World Cup. They cover how the country went through so much turmoil. Lots of interviews with players and coaches and of course with Pele himself.

Just watched White Boy on Netflix - about White Boy Rick, drug dealer who was used an an FBI Informant when he was 14 and then kicked when they were done with him. Subsequently, he was arrested and sentenced to life as a 17 year old juvenile for having over 650 grams of blow (known as the 650 gram law).

The doc shows how he got used and/or shafted by his family, FBI, Detroit Police, Coleman Young (one of the most corrupt mayors in US history) and GIl Hil (he played Eddie Murphy's boss in Beverly Hills Cop and was a corrupt cop and city councilman). You have to see it to believe it.

They also made a movie about it with Matthew McConaughey, which I also liked.

Just watched White Boy on Netflix - about White Boy Rick, drug dealer who was used an an FBI Informant when he was 14 and then kicked when they were done with him. Subsequently, he was arrested and sentenced to life as a 17 year old juvenile for having over 650 grams of blow (known as the 650 gram law).

The doc shows how he got used and/or shafted by his family, FBI, Detroit Police, Coleman Young (one of the most corrupt mayors in US history) and GIl Hil (he played Eddie Murphy's boss in Beverly Hills Cop and was a corrupt cop and city councilman). You have to see it to believe it.

I watched the doc a while back but for some reason haven't found time to watch the movie. The doc was really good. Damn, those crooked MF'ers in the Detroit PD railroaded that dude and continued to do it for years and years after the fact. Just disgusting. I really need to find some time to watch the movie at some point. I think I still have it buried in my DVR from being recorded well over a year ago.

The worst part was when they went through all of the convicted murderers who were interviewed during that Doc and all of them were well out of prison on parole before Rick. That one dude killed over 30 people as a hitman and was out of jail before a 17 year old who was arrested holding drugs. Just crazy.

I watched the doc a while back but for some reason haven't found time to watch the movie. The doc was really good. Damn, those crooked MF'ers in the Detroit PD railroaded that dude and continued to do it for years and years after the fact. Just disgusting. I really need to find some time to watch the movie at some point. I think I still have it buried in my DVR from being recorded well over a year ago.

Honestly I can understand a little graft, but that one police captain (IIRC) swiped 2.6 million from a secret fund - my jaw almost hit the floor.

Note to self - there is no such thing as a little graft.

I think you'll enjoy the movie, especially as you have the context from the doc.

The worst part was when they went through all of the convicted murderers who were interviewed during that Doc and all of them were well out of prison on parole before Rick. That one dude killed over 30 people as a hitman and was out of jail before a 17 year old who was arrested holding drugs. Just crazy.

This once again prove that truth is stranger than fiction - you literally couldn't concoct a story like this.

This is for any Dazed and Confused fans out there. I don't agree 100% with this list, but it is a fun read.
My top 5 list would go:
5. Mitch
4. Shavonne
3. Pink
2. Julie
1. Slater

This is for any Dazed and Confused fans out there. I don't agree 100% with this list, but it is a fun read.
My top 5 list would go:
5. Mitch
4. Shavonne
3. Pink
2. Julie
1. Slater

I thought we all agreed Mitch was the worst?

Great documentary.

My top 5 list would go:
5. Mitch
4. Shavonne
3. Pink
2. Julie
1. Slater

My top 5 on the coolness scale (ie, dudes/chicks I'd want to hang out with):

5. Mitch (the heir to Pink by the time he's a senior)
4. Cynthia (redhead who Wooderson invites to Aerosmith)
3. Slater
2. Pickford
1. Pink

My top 5 on the coolness scale (ie, dudes/chicks I'd want to hang out with):

5. Mitch (the heir to Pink by the time he's a senior)
4. Cynthia (redhead who Wooderson invites to Aerosmith)
3. Slater
2. Pickford
1. Pink
Upon further reflection, I might have to bump Pickford to #1. Tell me, who’s living a better life than him?
* Laissez faire parents that allow for after school pot parties among his closest friends and almost pulling off the end of the year bash at their house
* A hot girlfriend who’s very content to just smoke weed and strum the guitar
* A sweet ride
* Abs that allow him to go through life with a constantly unbuttoned shirt
* a c’est lavie attitude towards the party being squelched-when one door closes, another opens seems to be his mantra
* and after that night, a story he’ll ride on for through his twenties—escaping a lunatic who was shooting at his car after busting mailboxes

Upon further reflection, I might have to bump Pickford to #1. Tell me, who’s living a better life than him?
* Laissez faire parents that allow for after school pot parties among his closest friends and almost pulling off the end of the year bash at their house
* A hot girlfriend who’s very content to just smoke weed and strum the guitar
* A sweet ride
* Abs that allow him to go through life with a constantly unbuttoned shirt
* a c’est lavie attitude towards the party being squelched-when one door closes, another opens seems to be his mantra
* and after that night, a story he’ll ride on for through his twenties—escaping a lunatic who was shooting at his car after busting mailboxes
Hard to argue with that.

My top 5 list would go:
5. Mitch
4. Shavonne
3. Pink
2. Julie
1. Slater

Glad to see Ms Stroud at least crack the Top 10. I think Benny is ranked a little low, need a guy like that on the offensive line, so I give him props.

Glad to see Ms Stroud at least crack the Top 10. I think Benny is ranked a little low, need a guy like that on the offensive line, so I give him props.
While Benny's needed on the offensive line, his overprotective nature regarding doling out beers costs him points with me (I guess that speaks to why he's so important on the o-line though-always in protection mode)

My biggest issue with the list is having Carl ranked at all, ahead of Benny and the beer delivery guy, among others. To me, Carl's the ultimate annoyance on this list--bailed out by his Mom (the original helicopter parent), asking Mitch to sacrifice himself for the others, c*ck-blocking Hirschfelder, all the time with a sneering, whiny attitude. If Mitch is Pink's approximation as a freshman, Carl is O'Bannion's and belongs in that territory of this list.

Maybe we should just start a Dazed & Confused thread? ;-) Apologies to everyone who's looking for a new movie to watch and having to sift through our D&C minutiae--I imagine it's how I often feel trying to sift through the recruiting threads over on the sports boards that get hijacked at a whim.

Good documentary on Netflix called My Octopus Teacher. This guy is having some real stress/emotional issues in his life and starts swimming underwater off the South African coast, where he lives. He starts to see the same octopus every day, follows it and actually befriends it. Goes on for almost a year. Little goofy at times, but certainly held my interest.
If you're into scuba diving at all, you'll like this one. There's a whole different world to see under the water.

This is a Robbery - new on Netlfix about the art heist from Gardner Museum in Boston.
20+ years later and the art still hasn't been recovered, despite a 10M reward.
Fun watch, 4 episodes that run ~45 minutes each.

While Benny's needed on the offensive line, his overprotective nature regarding doling out beers costs him points with me (I guess that speaks to why he's so important on the o-line though-always in protection mode)
The beer hording always bugged me. They had like 100 in the trunk.

My biggest issue with the list is having Carl ranked at all, ahead of Benny and the beer delivery guy, among others. To me, Carl's the ultimate annoyance on this list--bailed out by his Mom (the original helicopter parent), asking Mitch to sacrifice himself for the others, c*ck-blocking Hirschfelder, all the time with a sneering, whiny attitude. If Mitch is Pink's approximation as a freshman, Carl is O'Bannion's and belongs in that territory of this list.
At least they ranked Hirschfelder much higher than Carl, so they got that right.

#1 for me is Pink, a jock that fits in with all the cliques and pays it forward by inviting Mitch to tag along (as happened when he was hazed) that's tops in my book. His resistance to the Lombardi wannabe football coach, also scores high in the "cool" factor.

#1 for me is Pink, a jock that fits in with all the cliques and pays it forward by inviting Mitch to tag along (as happened when he was hazed) that's tops in my book. His resistance to the Lombardi wannabe football coach, also scores high in the "cool" factor.
Postscript, his name itself: Randall "Pink" Floyd. That alone is so cool. Money.

Not sure if Last Chance U is considered a "documentary"....but I have finally caught up on the last season as well as the basketball season. These are all great. Such a simple concept....but it remains interesting and compelling all the way through. Awesome stuff if you've never seen them.

Promising Young Woman was fantastic. I'm rooting for Carey Mulligan in the Oscars.

Thanks to you and Gopher in NY’s recommendation of White Boy. I really enjoyed that.

It got me on a Netflix documentary kick. I then watched Tread and enjoyed the heck out of that. Have you guys seen that?
I also checked it out. What an insane story. Our cities have been corrupt for a LONG time.
here’s a little mini doc I found interesting, not sure where to get the full thing

If anyone likes Eric Andre.....Bad Trip on Netflix is very funny. Scripted movie in the Borat style of hidden cameras and unknowing extras.

Top Bottom