All Things Movie/Documentary Reviews/Recommendations Thread

A new Alone has started and damn did they put them in a dangerous spot this time. They are by the arctic circle where grizzlies, black bears and wolves run wild. I have watched them all and this one is by far the toughest
The tinder box creation was pretty incredible.

No doubt. I’ve never seen anyone do that in all the Alone series
I've watched other survivalist shows that use parts of punky termite nests for traveling spark. This guy actually created the carrying pouch for the tinder, too. Pretty cool.

I've watched other survivalist shows that use parts of punky termite nests for traveling spark. This guy actually created the carrying pouch for the tinder, too. Pretty cool.
If he gets enough food before darkness and winter set in I like his chances

We just watched it about a week ago. You’re so right, absolutely infuriating.
Infuriating perhaps, but I did find it pretty entertaining because I did not know the story and I didn't cheat and look it up ahead of time. I learned about everything as it unfolded in the documentary. I'm a sucker for true crime pieces.

If this is the one I'm thinking of, and I think it is, they didn't do anything at all (the cops or the film makers) to tie up the loose end of the 2nd and 3rd guys who participated in the abduction. That would be my only nitpick, unless I missed it?

Watched Furiosa. It was okay. Thought the previous one with Charilze Theron and Tom Hardy was better.

Watched Furiosa. It was okay. Thought the previous one with Charilze Theron and Tom Hardy was better.
I liked it. I read some terrible reviews before we went to the theater, and I don't get what these critics were looking for. It had everything it needed imo.

Infuriating perhaps, but I did find it pretty entertaining because I did not know the story and I didn't cheat and look it up ahead of time. I learned about everything as it unfolded in the documentary. I'm a sucker for true crime pieces.

If this is the one I'm thinking of, and I think it is, they didn't do anything at all (the cops or the film makers) to tie up the loose end of the 2nd and 3rd guys who participated in the abduction. That would be my only nitpick, unless I missed it?
The couple claims he didn't do it by himself, but Muller is the only guy they ever arrested. If I remember correctly, it is believed that Muller played recordings while she was captured so it seemed like it was more than one person there but authorities believe it was only him. They messed up the investigation pretty badly so who knows. Could just be another thing they're missing.

Not sure if this belongs in the Movie thread or a Music thread.

out of curiosity (or maybe boredom), I sat down and watched the Taylor Swift "Eras Tour" concert movie that is streaming on Disney+. I remember some of her early country music, but really haven't listened to any of her later work.

I have to say her show is impressively choreographed and presented, but her stage banter felt quite canned to me - like someone reading from a script more than talking off-the-cuff. as far as the music, I liked the up-tempo numbers probably more than the ballads. It's not something I am likely to revisit, but it was worth watching as a one-time deal just to see what all the fuss was about.

out of curiosity (or maybe boredom), I sat down and watched the Taylor Swift "Eras Tour" concert movie that is streaming on Disney+. I remember some of her early country music, but really haven't listened to any of her later work.

I have to say her show is impressively choreographed and presented, but her stage banter felt quite canned to me - like someone reading from a script more than talking off-the-cuff. as far as the music, I liked the up-tempo numbers probably more than the ballads. It's not something I am likely to revisit, but it was worth watching as a one-time deal just to see what all the fuss was about.

SON, between this summary and your summary in the other thread about Doctor Who, I have come to the conclusion that your primary mistake here has been the decision to support any Disney products! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. You should have learned your lesson by now, my friend

I too was drawn into the Eras tour on Disney+, due to my boys enjoying the spectacle of live music-they’re 6 years old, so not qualified as Swifties just yet. I also found the show to be—fine. She’s talented, puts on a solid show, but didn’t cause me to be awestruck. Found the banter to be forced, as you said.

But perhaps the problem is I’m comparing it to the gold standard, Beyoncé’s Homecoming. When the boys were a bit younger and we just needed 15 minutes of peace, that was our golden ticket (the first 15 minutes, before they interspersed the first documentary snippet of her getting ready to get back on tour after having twins). It’s an homage to the halftime shows of HBCU’s and it is sublime. If you’ve never seen it, it’s on Netflix and worth a watch/listen.

SON, between this summary and your summary in the other thread about Doctor Who, I have come to the conclusion that your primary mistake here has been the decision to support any Disney products! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. You should have learned your lesson by now, my friend

it really comes down to curiosity. Taylor Swift and this tour have gotten so much publicity, and so many people have been raving about it that I finally decided I had to see what all the hoopla was about.

like I said, her music really isn't my thing, but I sat through it more as an observer of a cultural phenomenon. there were a few songs I liked - the more up-tempo, 'fun' songs like "Shake it Off" as opposed to the ballads and numerous songs about failed love affairs, etc.

as far as Disney - I have the Disney+ bundle with Disney+, ESPN+ and Hulu. I save money on the combo. I watch a lot of boxing on ESPN+. I watch some movies and TV shows on Hulu, and Disney+ has the Marvel movies and TV shows, Star Wars, etc. It's worth the money in my book.

Damn, cool.... you only needed 15 minutes to get a piece?

TMI, brother.... TMI. :LOL::ROFLMAO:
I wish, friend. Parenting toddler twins in your late 40’s/early 50’s requires respite whenever you can get it and 15 minutes was barely enough to catch my breath much less consider any extracurricular activities 😉

Watched The Bikeriders. Not for me. Depressing and kinda like listening to Laverne DeFazio narrate.

Watched The Bikeriders. Not for me. Depressing and kinda like listening to Laverne DeFazio narrate.
I want to see this because I really enjoy the three leads, as well as the minor cast (Michael Shannon, Norman Reedus), but it's tough for me to get past how awful the name is. You have an enormous marketing budget and no one could come up with something better? And yes, I know it's named after the book, but just because the author picked a terrible name doesn't mean you have to as well. Logic tells me that if you can't even get something as simple as the name right, you probably didn't put much effort into the actual quality of the film.

I want to see this because I really enjoy the three leads, as well as the minor cast (Michael Shannon, Norman Reedus), but it's tough for me to get past how awful the name is. You have an enormous marketing budget and no one could come up with something better? And yes, I know it's named after the book, but just because the author picked a terrible name doesn't mean you have to as well. Logic tells me that if you can't even get something as simple as the name right, you probably didn't put much effort into the actual quality of the film.
I can't believe that title either.

Instead of Remember the Titans, let's call it The Football Players.

Instead of Hoosiers, let's call it The Basketball Players.

Instead of The Shawshank Redemption, let's call it The Prisoners.

Instead of Jaws, let's call it The Shark.

Ridiculous.

saw the first trailer for Gladiator II.

on the surface, it appears to be a movie about a guy from a privileged background who winds up becoming a gladiator while dealing with political intrigue in Rome. in other words, it's the first movie all over again only with different names. there are references to Maximus, the character played by Russell Crowe in the first movie.

there seems to be lots of action, but for what purpose? it has some big names - Denzel Washington, Pedro Pascal - so it will probably do OK its opening weekend. If you want to see it on the big screen, fine. otherwise, this goes into the "wait for streaming" category.

I can't believe that title either.

Instead of Remember the Titans, let's call it The Football Players.

Instead of Hoosiers, let's call it The Basketball Players.

Instead of Jaws, let's call it The Shark.

Ridiculous.
In their defense, Breaking Away was already taken 😉—but yeah, I haven’t heard of this prior to this thread and my first reaction was “why the hell did they choose that title?”

The Stephen King novella is actually titled Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption.

The studio dropped the first part of it because they thought audience members would be confused because there is no "Rita Hayworth" character, other than a fine looking poster. It actually does serve an important plot point. Agents were also trying to set up auditions for their clients to play the role of Rita.

The title of The Bikeriders isn't what is keeping me away. Reviews are pretty poor and seeing some of the actors promote it on talk shows, it just looks dull.

Typical true, but not always. 'Edge of Tomorrow' is the movie that first came to mind when I saw the poor name for 'The Bikeriders'.

Watched Horizon, the Kevin Costner movie. Guess it was okay. Didn't like at all how it leads into the next one.

I watched "Albert Brooks: Defending My Life", the Documentary directed by his buddy Rob Reiner on HBO/MAX. It was filled with tons of laugh out loud moments from his comedy bits on talk & variety shows.

Pretty amazing that they were close friends going back to high school. Seems like they share a similar relationship/bond that Carl Reiner and Mel Brooks had. I knew Rob (aka Marty DiBergi) could make a great mockumentary, but he can also do one a straightforward just as good.

It is a pretty fascinating learning about Brooks show biz parents, which I was not familiar with. There's not much about his brother, Bob Einstein (aka Super Dave/Marty Funkhauser) but there's another Documentary on him from a few years ago which I plan to revisit.

Also need to go back and watch some of Brooks' films that he directed, especially Lost in America & Defending Your Life.

Emmy Nominated.

Had to watch Bad Boys Ride or Die. Liked it. Lots of action, kind of funny. Didn't even realize it was Vanessa Hudgens until after the movie.

Watched Abigail last night. Very loose remake of Dracula's Daughter.

Fun movie with some tense moments. Very bloody. Pretty well done for a horror movie.

The kid who played the title role was awesome.

Also, I didn't recognize Dan Stevens. He was sufficiently over the top in his role.

I thought Civil War was pretty good. If it's possible to win a Best Supporting Actor award for only being a single scene, Jesse Plemons should get one.
Watched Game Night a few weeks ago and Plemons had a role in that one. He was good in that one also.

Top Bottom