All Things Movie/Documentary Reviews/Recommendations Thread

We enjoyed it too. Some dumb stuff, but also some "laugh out loud" jokes for me. Kind of reminded me of Airplane in that you throw a bunch of jokes at the wall and some stick and some don't.
That’s next up for me

The two most recent movies I have been to:

Challengers - Probably the most disappointed I have been in a movie in a long time. I disliked it on multiple levels. I was rooting for everyone to lose.

The Fall Guy - It was all right, met my expectations. Blunt-Gosling were worth it. Probably would have been better had they cut 20 minutes or so.

The Fall Guy - It was all right, met my expectations. Blunt-Gosling were worth it. Probably would have been better had they cut 20 minutes or so.

We just watched "The Fall Guy" last night. It was a decent show, but if Blunt and Gosling were played by less talented actors, it would have failed miserably. I agree with your assessment completely.

There's a new fiesta in the making as we speak. It's out at the Moon Tower, full kegs, everybody's going to be there, you ought to go.
"That's what I love about high school girls. I get older...they stay the same age."

It perhaps is my favorite scene of the movie.

I love at the end Mike & Tony are ripping on Wooderson for being ancient for several seconds and can't believe Cynthia is smitten with him.

Then she asks, "So are we going?" and both right away say, "Yeah, sure."

Last edited:

It perhaps is my favorite scene of the movie.

I love at the end Mike & Tony are ripping on Wooderson for being ancient for several seconds and can't believe Cynthia is smitten with him.

The she asks, "So are we going?" and both right away say, "Yeah, sure."
Interesting facts about D&C:

1. The character "Mitchell" touches his nose 42 times during the movie.

2. Ben Affleck actually broke his ankle with a croquet mallet but remained on set and completed the entire scene.

3. They spent 1/6 of their entire movie budget on the music rights to the songs they used on the soundtrack.

Interesting facts about D&C:

3. They spent 1/6 of their entire movie budget on the music rights to the songs they used on the soundtrack.
What I think is cool is that they couldn't come up with the dough to pay Led Zep for Dazed and Confused (the song) but still it is the title of the film.

I watched "The Iceman" (2012) last night about the mob serial killer, Richard Kuklinski. The movie itself is solid (7.5) but Michael Shannon in the lead role was mesmerizing...as usual.

He wasn’t believable at all, was he 😳?

Such a talented actor.

Just watched State of Grace. Released in 1990, starring Sean Penn, Ed Harris, Gary Oldman, Robin Wright, John Turturro, John C Reilly, Burgess Meredith. Think the goal might have been to be the darkest most depressing movie ever produced. Not sure why I kept watching. Really like Gary Oldman, guess that is the reason. Just a terrible, terrible soundtrack. Ed Harris might be the worst shot ever with a gun.

I thought Civil War was pretty good. If it's possible to win a Best Supporting Actor award for only being a single scene, Jesse Plemons should get one.

I didn't know the guy before seeing the movie. Had to look him up afterwards. I don't think I'll ever forget him now.

I didn't know the guy before seeing the movie. Had to look him up afterwards. I don't think I'll ever forget him now.
He's married to Kristen Dunst, and was already on location during the shoot to take care of their kids. The actor that was supposed to play the role had to back out last minute, so Plemons filled in. Nailed it.

Way too late to the party, but watched the 2 part documentary on Lance Armstrong. At times he is really a despicable person. Found him very difficult to like in spite of the amazing recovery.

I watched "Albert Brooks: Defending My Life", the Documentary directed by his buddy Rob Reiner on HBO/MAX. It was filled with tons of laugh out loud moments from his comedy bits on talk & variety shows.

Pretty amazing that they were close friends going back to high school. Seems like they share a similar relationship/bond that Carl Reiner and Mel Brooks had. I knew Rob (aka Marty DiBergi) could make a great mockumentary, but he can also do one a straightforward just as good.

It is a pretty fascinating learning about Brooks show biz parents, which I was not familiar with. There's not much about his brother, Bob Einstein (aka Super Dave/Marty Funkhauser) but there's another Documentary on him from a few years ago which I plan to revisit.

Also need to go back and watch some of Brooks' films that he directed, especially Lost in America & Defending Your Life.

Hit Man on Netflix isn't too bad. It's loosely based on a man in the 70's and 80's that would dress up in disguises and worked undercover as a hitman. At a minimum, looking at Adria Arjona all movie was nice.

Last edited:

Watched a western that I had never heard about previously called The Sisters Brothers starring John C Reilly, Joaquin Phoenix, Jake Gyllenhaal and Riz Ahmed. Surprisingly good. They certainly are successful in winning the shootouts.

Edit: Have to say, Pluto TV has a lot of old movies. Has commercials, but free.

Last edited:

He's married to Kristen Dunst, and was already on location during the shoot to take care of their kids. The actor that was supposed to play the role had to back out last minute, so Plemons filled in. Nailed it.
He really hits a homerun in everything he does.

Top Bottom