All Things Minnesota Wild 2022-2023 In-Season Thread

"CALGARY, Alberta — Jordan Greenway's uneven season with the Wild has come to an end.

The 26-year-old winger was traded to Buffalo on Friday just before the NHL trade deadline, with the Wild receiving a second-round pick that originally belonged to Vegas in this year's draft, and a 2024 fifth-rounder.

The Wild acquired two Swedish players — defenseman John Klingberg from Anaheim and winger Oskar Sundqvist from Detroit — at the deadline. Both players are on expiring contracts and both will play Saturday night in Calgary, General Manager Bill Guerin said.

Sundqvist cost a fourth-round pick in 2023; Klingberg was traded for minor-league defenseman Andrej Sustr, a fourth rounder in 2025 and the rights to 2019 sixth-round pick Nikita Nesterenko, who plays for Boston College.."

CALGARY, Alberta — Remember when the Wild were battling for their playoff lives? No longer.

After polishing of a 3-0 win over the Calgary Flames on Saturday night at Scotiabank Arena, the Wild (36-21-6, 78 points) are now 10 points clear of the playoff cut line.

Not bad considering the Wild found themselves on the outside looking in a few weeks ago. Since falling below the playoff cut line, even if it was only for a moment, the Wild have gone 8-0-1 amid a season-long point streak. That’s helped put the in them driver’s seat with roughly a month left..

CALGARY, Alberta — Remember when the Wild were battling for their playoff lives? No longer.

After polishing of a 3-0 win over the Calgary Flames on Saturday night at Scotiabank Arena, the Wild (36-21-6, 78 points) are now 10 points clear of the playoff cut line.

Not bad considering the Wild found themselves on the outside looking in a few weeks ago. Since falling below the playoff cut line, even if it was only for a moment, the Wild have gone 8-0-1 amid a season-long point streak. That’s helped put the in them driver’s seat with roughly a month left..

Calgary is working their way out of the playoff picture and Nashville sold the entire farm at the deadline. Kinda looks like the teams in the West are almost set already, and at this point it's just positioning.

Western Conference will be a wide open race, but I don't see anyone from the West beating whoever comes out of the East. Yikes.

Thought we just saw the Wild win 1-0 in overtime.

Refs said we didn't. Though yeah, replay showed they were offside.

Then Calgary wins the shootout.

It MUST be because they didn't wear the Pride jerseys tonight. OH MY GOD!!!!! THE HORROR!!!!

This is how crazy people are. Michael Russo at The Athletic put out a short story 2 hours ago mentioning the Wild not wearing the Pride jerseys. Two hours. There are already 700 comments in the comment section. What in the actual f'k....

Not a great loss as Calgary was coming off a trip to Dallas. It is hockey and a goalie can stand on his head and win a game.

It MUST be because they didn't wear the Pride jerseys tonight. OH MY GOD!!!!! THE HORROR!!!!

This is how crazy people are. Michael Russo at The Athletic put out a short story 2 hours ago mentioning the Wild not wearing the Pride jerseys. Two hours. There are already 700 comments in the comment section. What in the actual f'k....
Any crazier than you trying to shoehorn it into an unrelated discussion?

So did you watch the game or where you only interested in the jerseys?🤔😇

So did you watch the game or where you only interested in the jerseys?🤔😇

I was flipping back and forth between that game and the VGK game, saw the article on The Athletic. But I did NOT see the play you were talking about where you thought the Wild had won before going to the shootout. I'm not sure what happened, maybe I'll look for a video clip.

The West is just crazy right now with all the teams (mostly) set, but the positioning is probably going to change a shitload in the next 4 weeks. Not sure I see the Wild catching Dallas in the Central but it could happen? I don't see VGK holding off the Kings and the Oilers in the Pacific but I hope I'm wrong

I was flipping back and forth between that game and the VGK game, saw the article on The Athletic. But I did NOT see the play you were talking about where you thought the Wild had won before going to the shootout. I'm not sure what happened, maybe I'll look for a video clip.

The West is just crazy right now with all the teams (mostly) set, but the positioning is probably going to change a shitload in the next 4 weeks. Not sure I see the Wild catching Dallas in the Central but it could happen? I don't see VGK holding off the Kings and the Oilers in the Pacific but I hope I'm wrong

Here you go:

Here you go:

Ouch! Makes me curious, was it challenged by the Flames or was it done by the League?

The reason I ask, DAMN, one thing I've noticed is just how good some of these teams are regarding when to challenge and when not to challenge. I think the VGK are damn near perfect on challenges like this and you have to have some seriously talented people watching this shit in your organization to catch some of this. It's really, really impressive what these guys catch.

Ouch! Makes me curious, was it challenged by the Flames or was it done by the League?

The reason I ask, DAMN, one thing I've noticed is just how good some of these teams are regarding when to challenge and when not to challenge. I think the VGK are damn near perfect on challenges like this and you have to have some seriously talented people watching this shit in your organization to catch some of this. It's really, really impressive what these guys catch.
I believe they challenged it, or at least that's what broadcast said. I suppose in OT you have nothing to lose on a challenge there.

I believe they challenged it, or at least that's what broadcast said. I suppose in OT you have nothing to lose on a challenge there.

Heard that Calgary challenged it but they didn't need too. All goals in O.T. are reviewed.

It was offsides.

Khrill just had a guy sit on him and he had to go down the tunnel favoring his leg. That ain’t good as they need the Russian.

Last edited:

Wild beat Winnipeg 4-2.

Last edited:

The victory, though, might carry a price. At 8:40 of the third period, Jets defenseman Logan Stanley collided with Kirill Kaprizov, with the 6-7, 228-pounder collapsing his weight down on the Wild star. No penalty was called, and Kaprizov's left leg appeared to bend awkwardly. He took a few moments to gather himself before rejoining play and eventually skating gingerly to the bench. He did not play the rest of the game.

Immediately after the game, Wild coach Dean Evason said he didn't have an update on Kaprizov's status. "I don't know yet," the coach told reporters in Winnipeg. "... He was able to skate off. If there's a positive, that was one of them."

Evason didn't comment on Stanley's hit on Kaprizov. "We'll evaluate and have a look at it," he said.

Fleury's big night Wednesday came a day after Filip Gustavsson posted his second consecutive shutout in a 1-0 home shootout loss to Calgary..

Dumb rule. If you're completely in control of the puck it shouldn't be offsides, the idea that you have to continually be making contact with the puck doesn't make sense to me. I'd change the rule to say if you're the person bringing the puck over the line, you can't be offsides. Go ahead and skate it in backwards if you want.

Dumb rule. If you're completely in control of the puck it shouldn't be offsides, the idea that you have to continually be making contact with the puck doesn't make sense to me. I'd change the rule to say if you're the person bringing the puck over the line, you can't be offsides. Go ahead and skate it in backwards if you want.
The problem came on the pass. He passed the puck before the puck was in the zone. Had he skated the puck into the zone and then passed it the challenge would have been more difficult.

At least that’s my take on it.

Barely. By like a few millimeters. Had Spurgeon passed the puck *after* the puck had completely crossed the blue line (into the offensive zone), it would have been onside. He gave up possession of the puck while it was still *on* the blue line, so the puck hadn't entered the zone yet. The ruling was *not* that he didn't possess the puck; he did.

See above. That isn't what the ruling was. Despite what the announcers were saying. You are completely allowed to do what you said you should be able to do.

The problem came on the pass. He passed the puck before the puck was in the zone. Had he skated the puck into the zone and then passed it the challenge would have been more difficult.

At least that’s my take on it.
I get that they called the current rule correctly, I just think it's a bad rule. My thought is if you are in control of the puck then you can't be offsides. That similar to soccer - if you have possession of the ball you cannot be offside. Do the same for the blue line in hockey. Making the pass across a blue-line into the zone doesn't change that, since you had possession of the puck when you entered the zone, you can't be offsides.

Disagree. I like the rule, and the call was correct. Don't need to make it very gray as to the offside rule. Coach even understood the call and said it was correct.

I get that they called the current rule correctly, I just think it's a bad rule. My thought is if you are in control of the puck then you can't be offsides. That similar to soccer - if you have possession of the ball you cannot be offside. Do the same for the blue line in hockey. Making the pass across a blue-line into the zone doesn't change that, since you had possession of the puck when you entered the zone, you can't be offsides.
But only you were in the zone not the puck. When you passed the puck you gave up possession of the puck. Therefore because the pass was made from the neutral zone the puck was never possessed in the offensive zone. Had he carried the puck another what 3 inches into the zone and then passed it I think it’s a good goal.

Top Bottom