All Things Malik Rucker Thread

Ferentz probably only has to win four/maybe five games to keep his job. His sweat would be really hot, but I can't see him getting fired unless he wins 3 or less games.

Ferentz is under ZERO pressure this year. The guy hasn't finished below .500 in the conference since 2006 and went to an Orange Bowl in 2009. The idea that Kirk Ferentz (and his 3.5 million dollar salary through 2020) has less job security than Jerry Kill (as was suggested in this thread) is laughable. What he's done at IOWA is incredible and he will likely be able to name his departure date.

Ferentz probably only has to win four/maybe five games to keep his job. His sweat would be really hot, but I can't see him getting fired unless he wins 3 or less games.

Ferentz isn't going anywhere. His contract is through 2020, and according to this article, his buyout is $2.6 million per year remaining on his contract.

http://columbiadailyherald.com/sections/sports/college/iowa%E2%80%99s-ferentz-steady-ground-despite-turmoil.html

Of course, Ferentz’s job is so safe at least in part because firing him would be prohibitively expensive.

The 10-year contract worth nearly $40 million that Ferentz signed on the eve of the 2010 season includes a buyout that would cost Iowa roughly $2.6 million a year through 2020 if they fired him without cause.

Ferentz is under ZERO pressure this year. The guy hasn't finished below .500 in the conference since 2006 and went to an Orange Bowl in 2009. The idea that Kirk Ferentz (and his 3.5 million dollar salary through 2020) has less job security than Jerry Kill (as was suggested in this thread) is laughable. What he's done at IOWA is incredible and he will likely be able to name his departure date.

While I completely agree with you EG, I also once felt that way about Mase. And we know what happened there. Iowa has been a lot closer to average for the last number of years, and fickle fans (which exist at every school) want to win this year. They don't care about Rose Bowls 10 years ago or beating lorida on a last second bomb. And frankly, I'd be more than happy to see them dump Ferentz because he's a damn good coach and I'm tired of playing him. Iowa could easily hire the wrong guy and find themselves a low tier B10 team.

ioweeeee's last coach was under zero pressure to leave. You remember Hayden. The guy they ran out of town on a rail because his last few years as coach he his record was a little worse than bad.

Here's the thing though. Ferentz is under no pressure from the AD at this point.
A loss to an FCS UNI would ratchet it up again, 3rd best team in Iowa at that point.

A 3rd loss in a row to us would ratchet it up again, no rivalry wins again.

Their schedule has the potential for embarrassment IMO, @ NW and Indy, @ MSU and Michigan. If they drop one to NW or Indy on top of losses to UNI and us they will be feeling incredible heat to make a move. Michigan and MSU could blow them out on the road in a bad way making it an ugly season. Purdue is no shoe in, Nebraska will win too. At this point only Central Michigan looks like a for sure thing, but who knows.

Ferentz will likely steady the ship and find a way to get to 6 wins, but he's going to be primed for trouble if things start swirling down the toilet bowl. I would say the next 3 games could set the season off to despair for them or salvage a bowl berth albeit not a great one.

ioweeeee's last coach was under zero pressure to leave. You remember Hayden. The guy they ran out of town on a rail because his last few years as coach he his record was a little worse than bad.

Not sure if serious?

Here's the thing though. Ferentz is under no pressure from the AD at this point.
A loss to an FCS UNI would ratchet it up again, 3rd best team in Iowa at that point.

A 3rd loss in a row to us would ratchet it up again, no rivalry wins again.

Their schedule has the potential for embarrassment IMO, @ NW and Indy, @ MSU and Michigan. If they drop one to NW or Indy on top of losses to UNI and us they will be feeling incredible heat to make a move. Michigan and MSU could blow them out on the road in a bad way making it an ugly season. Purdue is no shoe in, Nebraska will win too. At this point only Central Michigan looks like a for sure thing, but who knows.

Ferentz will likely steady the ship and find a way to get to 6 wins, but he's going to be primed for trouble if things start swirling down the toilet bowl. I would say the next 3 games could set the season off to despair for them or salvage a bowl berth albeit not a great one.

The interesting thing about Ferret is that a lot of fans are really starting to turn on him. I know several die hard IA fans and they think if UNI wins this weekend, the wheels are off and the fan base will really turn. Another loss to MN will only make matters worse. IA has many big money boosters and if those boosters want him gone, they will find a way.

Quite frankly, if Iowa does not improve, Ferentz could be fired. In which case, there would be a new coaching staff creating uncertainty for Ferentz's commits. At least with Kill, any commit can be assured that he will be playing for Kill throughout his career, unless there is a complete melt down 3 years down the road.

Honestly, I can't see Ferentz getting fired after this season unless there is a huge internal issue with a scandal; but that does not seem likely. Ferentz would need a probably three consecutive years of crap play to get fired. Granted, the way that ADs and Boosters act towards there coaches nothing is completely out of the equation. Houston Nutt never should have been pushed out at Arkansas with the records that he was putting up.

The interesting thing about Ferret is that a lot of fans are really starting to turn on him. I know several die hard IA fans and they think if UNI wins this weekend, the wheels are off and the fan base will really turn. Another loss to MN will only make matters worse. IA has many big money boosters and if those boosters want him gone, they will find a way.

Man, I'm not sure they could come up with that much. That's a lot of money. If they fired him after this season, they would owe him $20 MILLION over the next eight years. That isn't $2 million, that's $20 MILLION. Plus, they'd need to pay the new guy a lot of money to reach the expectations they have in making such a monetary commitment to move on.

To me, when IA agreed to the latest contract with Ferentz, they were basically handing him a guaranteed lifetime contract with almost no way of getting out of the commitment to him coaching, even if they wanted to..not with that buyout. The freaking deal runs through 2020!

While I completely agree with you EG, I also once felt that way about Mase. And we know what happened there. Iowa has been a lot closer to average for the last number of years, and fickle fans (which exist at every school) want to win this year. They don't care about Rose Bowls 10 years ago or beating lorida on a last second bomb. And frankly, I'd be more than happy to see them dump Ferentz because he's a damn good coach and I'm tired of playing him. Iowa could easily hire the wrong guy and find themselves a low tier B10 team.

sparlimb, I know you're a strong Mason guy, but do you think Mason was ever held in as high esteem in Minnesota as Ferentz is in Iowa? I liked Mason up until his contract re-negotiation that ran into the Bowl game, but I never saw him as this popular figure among the Gopher faithful. I'm not that close to the program and the most ardent supporters, so I don't rightly know how he was perceived among the most loyal members of the faithful.

For whatever it's worth, Malik got an offer today from Texas Tech. Malik has seemed pretty intent on getting as many offers as possible while still portraying himself as "committed" to Iowa.

For whatever it's worth, Malik got an offer today from Texas Tech. Malik has seemed pretty intent on getting as many offers as possible while still portraying himself as "committed" to Iowa.

Are you really "committed" if you are still talking to Kill and taking other visits? He seems confused as to what he really wants to do. I feel he just likes the feeling of being committed.

Well then, let's get him committed. (teehee) Like the old joke that marriage is an institution and you know what kind of people they put in institutions...

Let's go Mr Rucker, time to get on to moving away from the Hawkeyes

Nothing wrong with getting a lot of college offers, and enjoying that. I think the Gophers are still holding a spot for him, and Minnesota can always use a few good playmakers
especially one's that are from Home. Home is a good place, everyone that is from here knows that, it is fun to go elsewhere and vacation but there is something to be said to have
your family and friends at every game cheering you on. Go Gophers and Ski-U-Mah Mr. Rucker

Rashad Vaughn just tweeted:

"I got some inside news on Malik Rucker!"

Obviously this could be just about anything but thought it was worth noting.

Rashad Vaughn just tweeted:

"I got some inside news on Malik Rucker!"

Obviously this could be just about anything but thought it was worth noting.

Rivals has a teaser that suggests Rucker might be interested in Texas Tech.

Plan A for me would be that Rucker flips from the pigs to Minnesota.

Plan B would be that if he does not end up with Minnesota he goes somewhere outside the big 10.

Stay home, you would be a help to the hometown team.

Yuck. Can you imagine playing for Texas Tech after viewing Aggies thread?

You know, easy women and low academic expectations may not be the worst sounding thing to some high school athletes (I am joking, you guys).

Top Bottom