All Things Kerwin Walton Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020)

I understand this. There were numerous things for each recruit, by accounts I’ve seen we were runner up...but that’s speculation

There could’ve been things that swayed him to UNC beyond Williams. UNC is blue blood, we are not, we gave it our best. We could have tony Bennett, and he may still have chosen UNC.

It’s far too easy to say, welp he didn’t like pitino, he went elsewhere
Exactly, and that is what Walton is saying when asked why he chose UNC. It was the ”big stage”, “legends that played before“, etc.. playing for a coaching god instead of the chump at Minnesota doesn’t even come to his mind, but it fits Built’s narrative and gives him another chance to blame it on Pitino. So, obviously Miller is a bad coach at Arizona because he didn’t want to play for him either.

Only thing I want to hear about at this point is, what the hell happened last weekend??

We'll never get the story, I'm afraid.

Which leads me to the correct response: Kerwin who??

Only thing I want to hear about at this point is, what the hell happened last weekend??

We'll never get the story, I'm afraid.

Which leads me to the correct response: Kerwin who??
Yup. Time to shut this thread down and move on. Maybe Drew will make it a personal challenge to be a better player than Walton since he was Pitino's first choice.

No.

Because of the narcissistic, selfish, entitled way he went about his commitment.

If he would’ve announced on Saturday morning that he was going to UNC, and not wasted everyone’s time, then it would’ve been fine.

Without knowing why he made the decision he made or specifically why it was delayed (let's be honest, you have no clue), it is impossible for you to know that he was being narcissistic, selfish, or entitled. You're just making those things up because you want to justify your irrational anger. You do you though.

Oh, I agree wholeheartedly. And it's not like Pitino has completely struck out instate during his tenure. It could simply be a case of this group not wanting to play in Minnesota.

I'm simply drawing a comparison to how P.J. has recruited.

If Pitino was consistently bringing in studs from all over the country and winning consistently, nobody would bat an eyelash at where his players were coming from.

But that hasn't happened while Fleck appears very much on an upward trajectory, hence more faith in P.J. than in Richard.

It's flat out the AAU programs in Minnesota that cause kids not to come here. We should all have this figured out by now. Pitino is close to NONE of them, so they don't show him any love either.

I would also guess that these programs have benefited from a few of these ACC teams booster programs as well. If you think AAU, Club, Travel, etc isn't filled with egos and shady stuff then you haven't been paying attention.

It's flat out the AAU programs in Minnesota that cause kids not to come here. We should all have this figured out by now. Pitino is close to NONE of them, so they don't show him any love either.

I would also guess that these programs have benefited from a few of these ACC teams booster programs as well. If you think AAU, Club, Travel, etc isn't filled with egos and shady stuff then you haven't been paying attention.

Pulley fit this? They've sent us Coffey, Oturu, Omersa, Gabe, and Jarvis Johnson? Treyton Thompson also played for them.

Well it was not enough to stay home. He certainly did not think he was the best coach that offered. I think that the recruitment of Walton was done as well as it could be. That record screams at so many of these kids. So many mention winning.

And handlers, etc can't wait to steer them away from this program. This is a Big Ten University that should be up and coming with the amount of talent in this state. Instead, ego driven AAU and "recuiting services" do all they can to steer them to the lure of money, fame and all the rest that happens at the vaunted blue bloods.

And handlers, etc can't wait to steer them away from this program. This is a Big Ten University that should be up and coming with the amount of talent in this state. Instead, ego driven AAU and "recuiting services" do all they can to steer them to the lure of money, fame and all the rest that happens at the vaunted blue bloods.

What recruits have handlers? The last one I knew of that was big was Rashad Vaughn.

As a whole.

There are 2 others that high D1 talent plays for. I think one does have a bad taste for Pitino due to jealous over attention to Pulley early on and the treatment of McKinley Wright. The other I think just truly believes they are above the U. What do you feel he should do to make these programs "like him"

What recruits have handlers? The last one I knew of that was big was Rashad Vaughn.

People that are advising their decisions. Club Coaches, joke recruiting service providers, big names in the scene, etc.

There are 2 others that high D1 talent plays for. I think one does have a bad taste for Pitino due to jealous over attention to Pulley early on and the treatment of McKinley Wright. The other I think just truly believes they are above the U. What do you feel he should do to make these programs "like him"

I'm not sure. Win would be a good start. But after that if he was smart he would show up early and often. Make an appearance to their younger teams a time or two. Be a part of helping their build their program. Build some relationships. What club team wouldn't welcome a Big Ten coach to come in and give a lesson or two?

It's gonna take that kind of hard work if he wants to turn the in-state recruiting around. That or he would be forced to cheat like the others do.

People that are advising their decisions. Club Coaches, joke recruiting service providers, big names in the scene, etc.

I'm not sure. Win would be a good start. But after that if he was smart he would show up early and often. Make an appearance to their younger teams a time or two. Be a part of helping their build their program. Build some relationships. What club team wouldn't welcome a Big Ten coach to come in and give a lesson or two?

It's gonna take that kind of hard work if he wants to turn the in-state recruiting around. That or he would be forced to cheat like the others do.

MN doesn’t have a ton of high recruits who have handlers.

His staff has gotten on kids early now and has for the last couple years. They were early on a majority of kids that were seniors this year. I say winning is really the only way. I think the other way is to not cater. Screw D1MN if they don’t want to advise to send kids here. Plenty of other fish in the see

MN doesn’t have a ton of high recruits who have handlers.

His staff has gotten on kids early now and has for the last couple years. They were early on a majority of kids that were seniors this year. I say winning is really the only way. I think the other way is to not cater. Screw D1MN if they don’t want to advise to send kids here. Plenty of other fish in the see
Do like Fleck does: "you in or out" early fencebuster. Move on if they're not sure they want to be Gophers. Win with kids who want to be here.

If we never sign another metro kid because of that, so be it.

Do like Fleck does: "you in or out" early fencebuster. Move on if they're not sure they want to be Gophers. Win with kids who want to be here.

If we never sign another metro kid because of that, so be it.
yabbut yer neighboring state schools get fat on the local kids. ya see its not like they either play here or nowhere. soon add st thomas

Exactly, and that is what Walton is saying when asked why he chose UNC. It was the ”big stage”, “legends that played before“, etc.. playing for a coaching god instead of the chump at Minnesota doesn’t even come to his mind, but it fits Built’s narrative and gives him another chance to blame it on Pitino. So, obviously Miller is a bad coach at Arizona because he didn’t want to play for him either.
I do not blame Pitino for a poor job recruiting, just a mediocre job establishing a program that wins enough to impress some players. Read everything Walton said and he loves Williams. There is no doubt he thinks Williams is a better coach than our guy.

Certainly part of it but there are players and families that think the Gophers are poorly coached. Do people honestly think that recruits do not look at that record measured against the other coaches offering. There are players and parents who are very basketball savvy that see him as mediocre.

Reactions: sal

Win.

Several elite programs run clean programs.

You don't know schit what goes on behind closed doors.

And you, of all people, want to use facts? LMAO

Give me a list of clean programs and the not clean ones! Thanks
I do not know what goes on at most of them but i do at some of them. You provide the list of the ones that cheat.

Certainly part of it but there are players and families that think the Gophers are poorly coached. Do people honestly think that recruits do not look at that record measured against the other coaches offering. There are players and parents who are very basketball savvy that see him as mediocre.
Wow, you have really stooped to new lows. Please take that crap to the anti-Pitino thread and stop spewing your hatred in these other threads. I have stood up for you many time before, but you beat this horse to death.

Wow, you have really stooped to new lows. Please take that crap to the anti-Pitino thread and stop spewing your hatred in these other threads. I have stood up for you many time before, but you beat this horse to death.
Will keep it off this thread but it is not anti Pitino, just shared with how so many look at his coaching record, especially recruits. I did not even know there was a anti Pitino thread. Will not be joining as i am only sharing facts of performance.

I do not know what goes on at most of them but i do at some of them. You provide the list of the ones that cheat.

I'm not the one saying it's obvious who is clean. You said that. Several run clean programs.

Start the list! Back up your schit just one time. Just one time.

I want to know who they are.

I'm not the one saying it's obvious who is clean. You said that. Several run clean programs.

St Tony at Virinia
Gard at Wisky - even thought he let Davison play and play and play after the kid repeatedly tried to injure opponents.
Wright at Nova

There will be a couple more. See if BADGER comes in,

Minnesota, UW, UVA, Villanova,Stanford, Purdue, Davidson, Texas Tech. Everyone that covers college hoops know that , even the shoe scum about UVA.

Minnesota, UW, UVA, Villanova,Stanford, Purdue, Davidson, Texas Tech. Everyone that covers college hoops know that , even the shoe scum about UVA.

How do you know this?

You would have had Clem on the list for Minnesota back in the day for running a clean program.

How do you know?

St Tony at Virinia
Gard at Wisky - even thought he let Davison play and play and play after the kid repeatedly tried to injure opponents.
Wright at Nova

There will be a couple more. See if BADGER comes in,

I laughed!

Top Bottom