All Things Kerwin Walton Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020)

While I won’t argue with PJ’s success as a recruiter, he has not been getting all the top ranked kids to stay home. His success has been because he has expanded our national base.

Fleck is kind of working backwards I think.

In certain sports, landing local kids is of the utmost importance while also slowly expanding the base outside the region and nationally. Fleck seems to be going the opposite way because he can.

P.J. is simply an outstanding recruiter. He's the kind of personality that can go into any area of the country and relate to kids. As you said, he hasn't killed it in-state, but he's been plucking highly rated kids from basically everywhere else (especially Illinois). And if he continues to win and recruit well nationally, there will be plenty of instate kids that will come knocking in coming years.

With Pitino, I always feel like he's looking outside the state because he has a pretty poor reputation instate. He's not going to get many good kids from Minnesota and therefore, he has to look nationally to fill out his roster. And I'll be completely honest, I'm less than sold on the job he's doing overall since it feels like every year, he and his staff are spending the spring scrambling just to put together a viable roster.

Fleck is kind of working backwards I think.

In certain sports, landing local kids is of the utmost importance while also slowly expanding the base outside the region and nationally. Fleck seems to be going the opposite way because he can.

P.J. is simply an outstanding recruiter. He's the kind of personality that can go into any area of the country and relate to kids. As you said, he hasn't killed it in-state, but he's been plucking highly rated kids from basically everywhere else (especially Illinois). And if he continues to win and recruit well nationally, there will be plenty of instate kids that will come knocking in coming years.

With Pitino, I always feel like he's looking outside the state because he has a pretty poor reputation instate. He's not going to get many good kids from Minnesota and therefore, he has to look nationally to fill out his roster. And I'll be completely honest, I'm less than sold on the job he's doing overall since it feels like every year, he and his staff are spending the spring scrambling just to put together a viable roster.
Find them all over the world if they fit all your criteria. Fleck found incredible players that did not have helmet school offers. He built a identity and coached to everything he believed.

Reactions: MRJ

Find them all over the world if they fit all your criteria. Fleck found incredible players that did not have helmet school offers. He built a identity and coached to everything he believed.

Oh, I agree wholeheartedly. And it's not like Pitino has completely struck out instate during his tenure. It could simply be a case of this group not wanting to play in Minnesota.

I'm simply drawing a comparison to how P.J. has recruited.

If Pitino was consistently bringing in studs from all over the country and winning consistently, nobody would bat an eyelash at where his players were coming from.

But that hasn't happened while Fleck appears very much on an upward trajectory, hence more faith in P.J. than in Richard.

things we don't know:

could a different coach have convinced Walton to go to MN?

Are recruits saying 'no' to MN because of the program, or the coach, or both?

does MN have to cheat to get top players?

Who put the bomp in the bomp bah bomp bah bomp?
Who put the ram in the rama lama ding dong?
It was obvious that Walton was torn between staying home and taking the "glamor offer". That obviously shows that it wasn't because of problems in the program at the U, he just got an offer that his father he couldn't refuse....

It was obvious that Walton was torn between staying home and taking the "glamor offer". That obviously shows that it wasn't because of problems in the program at the U, he just got an offer that his father he couldn't refuse....
How can you know that the strong desire to stay home was not off set by what he sees as failure in aspects of the program.

Boy there are some salty folks with regards to the UNC academic stuff. I never realized the hate was so strong towards the Heels.

Amazing how high the moral horse is around here.

I was hoping Walton would come here given the Gophers need a player like him more than Carolina does, but I know he'll help my Heels who are coming off a brutal season. Those who say he is stuck behind high-end players don't know what they are saying. He'll get rotation minutes right away.

Or maybe Walton was torn between two schools non of which were Minnesota.

Wisconsin does something that I think we are starting to do and they do it really well. They recruit guys that fit their systems and with a purpose. Carlson will do very well for them as will the Johny Davis and Bowman. They fit what Wisconsin does. The problems with the ranking systems is that they do a lot off of offers. It penalizes kids who commit early.

That being said I'm really excited about Mashburn as well and I like the pick up of Mitchell too. It'd be a coin flip for me which I'd take because I'm getting 3 good players who are pretty sure things in my eyes vs. 1 sure and 1 who could be the best of all but is still raw (Mitchell)
I'm still trying to figure out what our system is. Sure isn't what coach said he was going to do when he first got here. Hoping for better, but figuring bottom 2 or 3.

All because he didn’t go to the school you want him to?
No.

Because of the narcissistic, selfish, entitled way he went about his commitment.

If he would’ve announced on Saturday morning that he was going to UNC, and not wasted everyone’s time, then it would’ve been fine.

It was kinda a shame. I'm not sure if we would've gotten Kier or not, but it didn't help to have the weekend fly by without us. I really think he can play.

I’m embarrassed just reading some of these reactions. What’s scary is most of you (I assume) are adults. All because he didn’t go to the school you want him to? It’s not your life, it’s not your kid!

Think of it like you hoping every single Wisconsin badger players sucks.

What's the difference? Please do tell..............

I’m embarrassed just reading some of these reactions. What’s scary is most of you (I assume) are adults. All because he didn’t go to the school you want him to? It’s not your life, it’s not your kid!
Yet you continue to hang out on message boards...Thats what scary.

I wouldn’t be so sure Walton caused us any recruits. Didn’t like the drama in the announcement but could see Kier going to Georgia regardless. It’s not like we have a far superior program

It was kinda a shame. I'm not sure if we would've gotten Kier or not, but it didn't help to have the weekend fly by without us. I really think he can play.
What doesn't help is having Pitino.

If Pitino could have gotten a yes from Kier, he'd have taken him.

What doesn't help is having Pitino.

If Pitino could have gotten a yes from Kier, he'd have taken him.
How would you know? Maybe Walton roping us two hours before Kier committing hurt our chances, ever think about that? Only so much you can blame the guy. If Walton wants to be a Tarheel then not much anyone can do.

I wouldn’t be so sure Walton caused us any recruits. Didn’t like the drama in the announcement but could see Kier going to Georgia regardless. It’s not like we have a far superior program
Obviously, in hide sight, all of the time spent to recruit him was wasted. Time that could have been spent on other recruits.

How can you know that the strong desire to stay home was not off set by what he sees as failure in aspects of the program.
Didn’t he say he liked the coaches at the U. Why are you so quick to jump to that failures or deficiencies in the program scared him away. Just because it fits your typical narrative, doesn’t make it so. If that is what you are so keen on wanting to discuss, please jump on over to the Anti-Pitino thread and pontificate as much as you want.

Boy there are some salty folks with regards to the UNC academic stuff. I never realized the hate was so strong towards the Heels.

Amazing how high the moral horse is around here.

I was hoping Walton would come here given the Gophers need a player like him more than Carolina does, but I know he'll help my Heels who are coming off a brutal season. Those who say he is stuck behind high-end players don't know what they are saying. He'll get rotation minutes right away.

Night and day difference between here an North Carolina, when the scandal broke out here the general consensus was that Clem could not be fired quick enough, it would not have been tolerated if what happened at North Carolina happened here, I'm guessing the coach and athletic director would be gone for sure and probably the University President, so no I hope Minnesota never gets off the high horse.

Sure. But chicken and egg. It's hard to win at Minnesota with a roster of 90% kids from other states.
Why? I don't get comments like this. Are MN kids that much better than players from other states? Mash was a higher rated player than the kid whose dad decided to go for the cash...

Just get kids that want to be here and will play for free. I don't care where they went to high school or what AAU team they played for!!

Night and day difference between here an North Carolina, when the scandal broke out here the general consensus was that Clem could not be fired quick enough, it would not have been tolerated if what happened at North Carolina happened here, I'm guessing the coach and athletic director would be gone for sure and probably the University President, so no I hope Minnesota never gets off the high horse.

Enjoy the view from the high horse.

I won't hold myself to such high standards and will continue to enjoy watching them win...likely with Walton contributing quite a bit.

Why? I don't get comments like this. Are MN kids that much better than players from other states? Mash was a higher rated player than the kid whose dad decided to go for the cash...

Just get kids that want to be here and will play for free. I don't care where they went to high school or what AAU team they played for!!

Or raise the budget and get better kids...

No. But on a consistent basis, we're not going to get 4 star, top 100 guys elsewhere if we can't get top 100, 4 star MN guys to stay here. On any given player, it's always understandable, but his batting average is simply too low. The long-term recipe for success here is to keep at least 1-2 of the top 5 guys in MN each year. I'm not saying it can't be done without that, but it will be much harder.

Details details

Didn’t he say he liked the coaches at the U. Why are you so quick to jump to that failures or deficiencies in the program scared him away. Just because it fits your typical narrative, doesn’t make it so. If that is what you are so keen on wanting to discuss, please jump on over to the Anti-Pitino thread and pontificate as much as you want.
BADGER

Kerwin had offers from Vanderbilt and Georgetown, I think education may be more important to him than many of you are giving him credit for. You still can get a good education at NC.
But maybe not as important to dad...

Peterson commits. We all knew he was waiting on Walton.

Should've been on Saturday.:cautious:

Well it was not enough to stay home. He certainly did not think he was the best coach that offered. I think that the recruitment of Walton was done as well as it could be. That record screams at so many of these kids. So many mention winning.

Top Bottom