All Things Joshua Ola-Joseph Recruitment Thread (Class of 2022; Osseo HS; Gophers Offered)

Honestly most of it I’ve read about here. Otherwise I read some of it on the free day at 247 and I’ve also heard about it from coaches I still talk too. I don’t know if I’ve seen any articles written.
Good to know it’s noted elsewhere! Sometimes I fear group think takes over here.

Does anyone know whether the Gophers might be asking Ola-Joseph to wait until Ryan Dunn, another, similarly sized, SF, visits on 9/2?
It would seem to me that the Gophers would be eager to take both players, but Dunn might be reticent to commit to a program with a physically matching SF. Ben might want to see if he can reel Dunn in all the way--and then announce Ola-Joseph? (I don't know, just making up a scenario)

Last edited:

Does anyone know whether the Gophers might be asking Ola-Joseph to wait until Ryan Dunn, another, similarly sized, SF, visits on 9/2?
It would seem to me that the Gophers would be eager to take both players, but Dunn might be reticent to commit to a program with a physically matching SF. Ben might want to see if he can reel Dunn in all the way--and then announce Ola-Joseph? (I don't know, just making up a scenario)
Could be, but I think similarly likely scenarios:
1) he's more methodical making decisions like this and isn't going to commit on the spot like Payne/Carrington (ie, wants time to think through his decision some more or wants to discuss with people close to him that aren't on the visit with him, etc.)
2) he isn't sold the U is the right place for him (though, based on his Q&A I'd be very surprised if this were the case where he all but said he wants to be at the U)
3) silent verbal for various reasons (ie, perhaps putting together a polished commitment video, staff asking not to go public just yet, etc.)
4) the offer isn't commitable (ie, could be the staff isn't entirely sold on him yet regardless of Dunn's position).

Only a few people know for sure.

1) he's more methodical making decisions like this and isn't going to commit on the spot like Payne/Carrington (ie, wants time to think through his decision some more or wants to discuss with people close to him that aren't on the visit with him, etc.)
2) he isn't sold the U is the right place for him (though, based on his Q&A I'd be very surprised if this were the case where he all but said he wants to be at the U)
3) silent verbal for various reasons (ie, perhaps putting together a polished commitment video, staff asking not to go public just yet, etc.)
4) the offer isn't commitable (ie, could be the staff isn't entirely sold on him yet regardless of Dunn's position).

I know for sure #4 isn’t true. He has a committable offer. I’m guessing a combo of 1& 3 unless the visit went terrible or was very underwhelming.

The verbal commitment means nothing. If they get Dunn to commit only because Ola-Joseph hasn’t, and then Ola-Joseph commits, Dunn could simply decommit. So that scenario makes no sense

Where has he all but stated he WANTS to be at the u?? In the q&a he states yeah it would be nice to play in front of my mom.. he also states he feels no pressure to play at the u as hes going to make the best decision for himself.. Maybe I'm arguing schematics but to say he basically has stated he WANTS to play here is a reach...

With that said.. close the f'n deal ben

Where has he all but stated he WANTS to be at the u?? In the q&a he states yeah it would be nice to play in front of my mom.. he also states he feels no pressure to play at the u as hes going to make the best decision for himself.. Maybe I'm arguing schematics but to say he basically has stated he WANTS to play here is a reach...

With that said.. close the f'n deal ben
I don’t think it’s a reach:
Q: What will you be looking to find out on your Gophers official visit?
A: I want to see how they're going to use me. How they play. Obviously, I would like to stay home, but I want to go to a school where I'll be played the way I want to be played. Some people want to put a position on me, but I feel like I can play plenty of positions. So, I would want to see how they would use me. See how they treat me and my family. The hospitality. So just the vibe they give off.

Not calling you out, just an honest question since I’ve seen it stated often by many - where else can I read about the lack evaluations/ranking updates this year? It’s a little too niche to put into the ole Google engine.

The latest 247 MN 2022 rankings. Not sure when this was posted.

Holliman 93, Heide 91, Lee 91, Aligbe 90, King 90, Watson 89, Payne 89, Carrington 88, Ola-Joseph 88, Nanji 87

I don't see why they couldn't take both he and Dunn considering the way college basketball is being played and considering how open our roster is going forward.
I think Dunn has a much higher 247 rating that JOJ so he may be the desired target. Unless JOJ has the strong desire to be a Gopher, I guess he might be miffed a bit by Johnson waiting on Dunn. I will go somewhere else where I am wanted kinda thinking.

Either way, I hope Johnson can reel in at least one of them.

Holliman 93, Heide 91, Lee 91, Aligbe 90, King 90, Watson 89, Payne 89, Carrington 88, Ola-Joseph 88, Nanji 87
Those numbers are their grades/ratings, not their rank. Notice some of them are the same.

Can you even imagine if he doesn’t commit?

Can you even imagine if he doesn’t commit?
While we're all expecting it, if he decides to go elsewhere, I won't hold it against him or consider Ben a failure

We have a good start to class and I think we're in good position with a number of key recruits.

I'd be ok with only 3 freshman honestly and rest with Juco/transfers

Is the one that is planning to visit Colorado or was that Carrington?

While we're all expecting it, if he decides to go elsewhere, I won't hold it against him or consider Ben a failure

We have a good start to class and I think we're in good position with a number of key recruits.

I'd be ok with only 3 freshman honestly and rest with Juco/transfers
I’d prefer a fourth freshman, personally. Obviously it comes down to the player and fit, etc, but the chance for a deep senior class in four years sounds nice. Juco/transfers can be fine, but id rather try for a broad foundation.

Payne announced he had made a decision during his visit, right? Then committed the next day IIRC.

He's not going anywhere else, patience guys, Visits are 48 hours, depending when his started wed it probably just wrapped up or will be soon. He'll be committed by the end of the weekend.
I was just stirring the pot.

Holliman 93, Heide 91, Lee 91, Aligbe 90, King 90, Watson 89, Payne 89, Carrington 88, Ola-Joseph 88, Nanji
Ah yes. Losing him to Clemson or Loyola would be pretty bad.
We won’t, but you know some kids may want to go to Clemson or Loyola. Chicago a great city, even though Loyola less likely as a lesser conference. Clemson could be totally understandable for a kid who maybe wants to get out of state, being ACC and could fall in love with the campus. However, you seem to take a negative view on every kid even though no coach can control when a kid simply wants to try something different.

Top Bottom