All Things Joshua Ola-Joseph Recruitment Thread (Class of 2022; Osseo HS; Gophers Offered)

Week from now is an unofficial, with Sept an official? I thought someone said they moved the official back so his mother could join?
I believe what 247 lists on their page are official visits, so this is an official visit. He took an unofficial visit to MN earlier in the summer.

For those who can't get past the pay wall.

Gophers recruiting target Joshua Ola-Joseph, from Osseo, stayed confident even when offers weren't there​

Osseo senior Joshua Ola-Joseph had zero Division I basketball offers in the spring, but he made the most of his opportunity to play in front of college coaches this summer.
Among the D-I coaches that showed the most interest was Gophers first-year coach Ben Johnson, who offered Ola-Joseph a scholarship in early August.
The bouncy 6-foot-6 forward cut his list Tuesday to Clemson, Minnesota, and Loyola-Chicago.
Ola-Joseph expects to make an official visit to the Gophers program next week, but he talked recently to the Star Tribune on what it would mean to stay home, what motivates him and more.
Q: What was it like to go from an unknown to being one of the breakout prospects in July?
A:
It was a great summer. I had to earn everything. I couldn't take any days off because I didn't go into the summer with any offers. I went into the summer with a chip on my shoulder. I was an energy guy a lot of times. I felt like I played defense and guarded a lot of positions. That made me standout. That was one of the biggest things.
Q: How would you best describe your game to Gophers fans besides the highlight-reel dunks?
A:
I feel like my motor is high. I play defense. I try not to take any possessions off. I shoot the ball well. I block shots. I feel like can do it all. You can't put a position on my game. I can bring the ball up if you need me to. I can shoot the ball if you need me to or post up. I can do the dirty work or be a skill guy. I feel like I fit into any roster.
Q: How much did playing well on a talented D1 Minnesota AAU team with top prospects such as Camden Heide, Eli King, and Taison Chatman give you confidence?
A:
I've always had confidence in my game. I don't care about rankings or how many offers the next guys has. I believe in my game. I believe I'm a high major guy. So I felt like I'm a nationally ranked guy. But I'm not really worried about what the internet says about me and my game. Me taking over a game this summer wasn't a confidence booster. Because I felt like my confidence was always high. I never second guess myself.
Q: What helped you narrow down your list to those three schools?
A:
Relationships with the coaches. The area. How hard they're recruiting me. Just my feel of it. I want to go to a place where I can call home. The schools I narrowed it down to I have a close relationship with the head coaches. All head coaches. No assistant coaches.
Q: What will you be looking to find out on your Gophers official visit?
A:
I want to see how they're going to use me. How they play. Obviously, I would like to stay home, but I want to go to a school where I'll be played the way I want to be played. Some people want to put a position on me, but I feel like I can play plenty of positions. So, I would want to see how they would use me. See how they treat me and my family. The hospitality. So just the vibe they give off.
Q: Gophers fans talk a lot about keeping the state's top players. Do you feel pressure to stay home?
A:
I don't feel any pressure. I feel like my decision is the best for me. I don't feel any pressure to stay home. I can't let what people think make my decision. Because I'm the one putting on those shoes and going to work.
Q: What would it mean to pick the Gophers and stay home to play college ball?
A:
I feel like I would get a lot of love if I chose to stay home. Playing in front of a lot of good people who would want me to stay home. It would mean a lot. It would mean something to play in front of my mom.

A:
Relationships with the coaches. The area. How hard they're recruiting me. Just my feel of it. I want to go to a place where I can call home. The schools I narrowed it down to I have a close relationship with the head coaches. All head coaches. No assistant coaches.
I would say this is a very bright kid. Lots of coaches will be involved with you at this level, but the head guy is the one that will make or break your experience. If there's very little relationship with that one, good luck.

Gophers recruiting target Joshua Ola-Joseph, from Osseo, stayed confident even when offers weren't there​

Osseo senior Joshua Ola-Joseph had zero Division I basketball offers in the spring, but he made the most of his opportunity to play in front of college coaches this summer.
Among the D-I coaches that showed the most interest was Gophers first-year coach Ben Johnson, who offered Ola-Joseph a scholarship in early August.
The bouncy 6-foot-6 forward cut his list Tuesday to Clemson, Minnesota, and Loyola-Chicago.
Ola-Joseph expects to make an official visit to the Gophers program next week, but he talked recently to the Star Tribune on what it would mean to stay home, what motivates him and more.
Q: What was it like to go from an unknown to being one of the breakout prospects in July?
A:
It was a great summer. I had to earn everything. I couldn't take any days off because I didn't go into the summer with any offers. I went into the summer with a chip on my shoulder. I was an energy guy a lot of times. I felt like I played defense and guarded a lot of positions. That made me standout. That was one of the biggest things.
Q: How would you best describe your game to Gophers fans besides the highlight-reel dunks?
A:
I feel like my motor is high. I play defense. I try not to take any possessions off. I shoot the ball well. I block shots. I feel like can do it all. You can't put a position on my game. I can bring the ball up if you need me to. I can shoot the ball if you need me to or post up. I can do the dirty work or be a skill guy. I feel like I fit into any roster.
Q: How much did playing well on a talented D1 Minnesota AAU team with top prospects such as Camden Heide, Eli King, and Taison Chatman give you confidence?
A:
I've always had confidence in my game. I don't care about rankings or how many offers the next guys has. I believe in my game. I believe I'm a high major guy. So I felt like I'm a nationally ranked guy. But I'm not really worried about what the internet says about me and my game. Me taking over a game this summer wasn't a confidence booster. Because I felt like my confidence was always high. I never second guess myself.
A:
A:
I want to see how they're going to use me. How they play. Obviously, I would like to stay home, but I want to go to a school where I'll be played the way I want to be played. Some people want to put a position on me, but I feel like I can play plenty of positions. So, I would want to see how they would use me. See how they treat me and my family. The hospitality. So just the vibe they give off.
Q: Gophers fans talk a lot about keeping the state's top players. Do you feel pressure to stay home?
A:
I don't feel any pressure. I feel like my decision is the best for me. I don't feel any pressure to stay home. I can't let what people think make my decision. Because I'm the one putting on those shoes and going to work.
A:
I feel like I would get a lot of love if I chose to stay home. Playing in front of a lot of good people who would want me to stay home. It would mean a lot. It would mean something to play in front of my mom.
Man, I want the Gophers to get this kid. He sounds like the type of building block, four year contributor that programs need to step up to the next level. B. Johnson said he wanted to mold the Gophers program after the likes of Michigan State and Purdue and Ola-Joseph's game (energy, defense, toughness) sounds like the assembly line we've seen from those aforementioned programs over the years.

: Gophers fans talk a lot about keeping the state's top players. Do you feel pressure to stay home?
A: I don't feel any pressure. I feel like my decision is the best for me. I don't feel any pressure to stay home. I can't let what people think make my decision. Because I'm the one putting on those shoes and going to work.

This is the one that stood out to me. I like a kid who's not going to let what fans ( or generally people who have never met him and are not part of his everyday life) want him to do influence a very important life decision. That's the kind of guy who usually ends up very successful in life. Hope we get him, but if we don't, I wish him good luck on whatever path he decides to take.

A:
A:
A:
A:
A:
A:
A:
"Bouncy" = fun with adjectives😁

It makes me happy inside to know he is ok playing for a school other than the U.

The night of Aug 25th or the morning of Aug 26th will be an important day for this program. Clearly the Gophers want him and are giving him a chance to commit. Hope he jumps on the opportunity. Love his attitude toward the game and hope he realizes MN needs him badly. Lots of playing time available.

A:
A:
A:
A:
A:
A:
A:
Should change your name to Robinhood

When is the visit up this week? Theme of getting the commitment on the final day of visit I would hope to continue

Most of us have no other way to evaluate classes besides the rankings. Sadly right now the rankings are awful and behind due to covid. In the long run it’s fair to evaluate by rankings as many correlate to success. Although the sweet spot tends to be 10-25 as those guys stay 3-5 years where top ten classes are elevated by 1 and dones. I get your lack of patience being a fan as long as you’ve been, but we just are not at a place to truly evaluate yet. The time will come soon
So if the rankings are awful can you release yours? I’m genuinely curious. I have seen maybe 10 of the top 100 kids in this class play. Probably less. I have no idea how accurate the rankings are.

So if the rankings are awful can you release yours? I’m genuinely curious. I have seen maybe 10 of the top 100 kids in this class play. Probably less. I have no idea how accurate the rankings are.
I don’t have enough info to rank nationally, but any rankings that still have Prince over Tre, Heide, or Payne is beyond laughable. I generally don’t pay much attention to them at all personally, because I like to stream and watch games of commits. For fans that don’t want to invest that time, then rankings are a fair barometer most years. This years are still just awful because of lack of evaluations over the last two years.

I don’t have enough info to rank nationally, but any rankings that still have Prince over Tre, Heide, or Payne is beyond laughable. I generally don’t pay much attention to them at all personally, because I like to stream and watch games of commits. For fans that don’t want to invest that time, then rankings are a fair barometer most years. This years are still just awful because of lack of evaluations over the last two years.
Not calling you out, just an honest question since I’ve seen it stated often by many - where else can I read about the lack evaluations/ranking updates this year? It’s a little too niche to put into the ole Google engine.

Not calling you out, just an honest question since I’ve seen it stated often by many - where else can I read about the lack evaluations/ranking updates this year? It’s a little too niche to put into the ole Google engine.
Honestly most of it I’ve read about here. Otherwise I read some of it on the free day at 247 and I’ve also heard about it from coaches I still talk too. I don’t know if I’ve seen any articles written.

Top Bottom