All Things Jashon Cornell Thread: Cornell commits to Ohio St

According to a report out of Detroit, MSU is his favorite as of now

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140502/SPORTS0202/305020039/1004/

One of the biggest news items coming out of the day was St. Paul (Minn.) Cretin Derham Hall blue-chip defensive end Jashon Cornell naming the Spartans his leader. A national recruit with offers from around the country, popular speculation was that Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan and potentially others held an advantage. However, his first trip to East Lansing put the Green and White in the driver’s seat.

“I really liked the campus,” he said. “I like how the coaches brought me in and it felt like it was a family. All the recruits were all one big family and I felt like part of the group. I will come out with a top eight (soon), but Michigan State is number one on my list right now."

Go Gophers!!

Bama just offered

I think that officially-officially puts all the "he's not that good" talk to rest

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Alabama offered today roll tide roll</p>— Jashon Cornell (@Jay_Rock16) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jay_Rock16/statuses/468799439243837440">May 20, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

MN Daily: Top recruit Cornell talks Gophers, but's favoring Spartans

"I've thought about that — staying home, being just like Ra'Shede and being drafted," Cornell said. "Ra'Shede's an animal. There's nothing like him. Minnesota turned him into the player that he is."

Cornell admitted it's sometimes difficult to give the Gophers serious consideration while the nation's top programs court him, but the opportunity to play at home is tantalizing.

Cornell said Gophers linebackers coach Mike Sherels came to his school last week and he stays in contact with Minnesota's coaching staff.

Cornell is planning on cutting his list of possible schools in June and said the Gophers will likely be in his final three. Highly-touted Minnesotan basketball targets Tyus Jones and Reid Travis kept the Gophers in consideration until the end, but eventually opted for different programs.

Minnesota's top football prospect from the class of 2014, Jeff Jones, chose to stay home despite offers from top schools — including Michigan State — and Cornell could do the same, but the Spartans remain in the drivers seat.

"My whole family is here," Cornell said. "My whole family could come, drive right up the street and watch me play every night."

http://www.mndaily.com/blogs/upon-f...-cornell-talks-gophers-buts-favoring-spartans

Go Gophers!!

Interesting that he said we would be in his top three when in an earlier tweet it seemed that we weren't even in his top 10. Some of you will probably complain about that and say that he is waisting Kill's time by doing that but he is deciding during the summertime so it won't be too long.

Also he is back down to 255. He went from 245 to 270 back down to 255. I saw him at the EYBL and he seemed to be in good shape.

http://247sports.com/Article/285051...shon-Cornell-Has-Been-Working-28505168?Page=2

When top recruits talk about our school, its a good thing. Especially since he acknowledges that local players can make it to the NFL just like players that play for the helmet schools.

It helps with getting our name out there and showing that if you have talent and work hard, you have a chance with our program to do big things.

He knows its not nowheresville or anything like that, and that can go towards others seeing the same thing and consider us as a great place to play and goto school.

If he does not choose Minnesota, the blow to the program will not be huge. But I would still be extremely excited if he ended up choosing our program.

Sent from my MUCH i5 using Tapatalk

Frankly, I don't know why we waste time talking or thinking about this kid. Barring some type of family or girl situation keeping him here it's pretty clear he's leaving. I'd rather the staff focus on players that want to be here. He's got the classic stars in his eyes syndrome. If he signs with the gophs I will buy the entire gopherhole a round.

What, about the Michigan State campus, would attract anyone? We're talking about Lansing, Michigan which is essentially like talking about Mankato where you have farmland all around the city and a couple creeks running through the city. I've been on the campus and other than some ivy covered buildings you're talking about a cow college. Unless you are getting into agricultural studies I wonder why you would be drawn to Michigan State.

What, about the Michigan State campus, would attract anyone? We're talking about Lansing, Michigan which is essentially like talking about Mankato where you have farmland all around the city and a couple creeks running through the city. I've been on the campus and other than some ivy covered buildings you're talking about a cow college. Unless you are getting into agricultural studies I wonder why you would be drawn to Michigan State.

narduzzi's defense...?

One big change is there is no question that the Gopher staff can prepare him for the NFL. In the past that wasn't true. We have a chance it'll come down to priorities and the importance of family.

One big change is there is no question that the Gopher staff can prepare him for the NFL. In the past that wasn't true. We have a chance it'll come down to priorities and the importance of family.

Thus staff is certainly better at training players for the NFL, but its still a risk on his part. He is more likely to get exposure and get drafted higher if he's at Alabama or Notre Dame, or even Michigan State. Maybe he will think the risk worth it though, I don't know.

Why are we continuing this thread? He is dead to Gopher recruiting as far as I am concerned.

Ummmm...

Why are we continuing this thread? He is dead to Gopher recruiting as far as I am concerned.

We're talking about a potential Gopher recruit from the state of Minnesota on a Gopher message board. You're right, that seems off topic.

An editor can pick anything they want to show. Perhaps this would help him pick the U of M instead...

Michigan_Girls.jpg

Because he is a 5 star located right here in our own backyard and has not committed elsewhere yet. Plus if you read the MN daily article he did say that we would be in his top 3 and he did say some encouraging things about us even if it is just lip service.

Because he was Howard Pulley's water boy this weekend and that deserves to be mentioned! Duh... :rolleyes:

I'm not saying that I feel good about landing Cornell, but I sure feel better with this staff than I would have with anyone else. Hopefully by October, Mr. Hageman is in the middle of a great 1st year with the Falcons, and Cockran, Keith and Ekpe are terrorizing opposing Big 10 offenses. It'll be nice for Coach Kill to be able to sit in his parent's living room and say "we've put players in the NFL (Hughes and Hageman), we continue to turn out quality defensive lineman, we have one of the best APR scores in the nation, we can offer you a chance to play right away and we are just down the road".

Former pitches to Michael Floyd, Seantrel Henderson and Beau Allen were based on having "faith" in a coaching staff, Kill will be able to show facts.

Lets just hope we're in it till the end and we have a fighting chance.

I'm not saying that I feel good about landing Cornell, but I sure feel better with this staff than I would have with anyone else. Hopefully by October, Mr. Hageman is in the middle of a great 1st year with the Falcons, and Cockran, Keith and Ekpe are terrorizing opposing Big 10 offenses. It'll be nice for Coach Kill to be able to sit in his parent's living room and say "we've put players in the NFL (Hughes and Hageman), we continue to turn out quality defensive lineman, we have one of the best APR scores in the nation, we can offer you a chance to play right away and we are just down the road".

Former pitches to Michael Floyd, Seantrel Henderson and Beau Allen were based on having "faith" in a coaching staff, Kill will be able to show facts.

Lets just hope we're in it till the end and we have a fighting chance.

Not positive but I think Cornell has said he's going to decide this summer.

per the Daily:

Jashon Cornell of Cretin-Derham Hall High School also said he was impressed by Hageman’s performance last season. Cornell, a five-star recruit ranked 16th in the class of 2015 by ESPN, called Hageman “an animal.”

“There’s nothing like him. Minnesota turned him into the player that he is,” Cornell said.

The defensive lineman confirmed reports that Michigan State is his favorite school so far, but said Minnesota will probably be one of his three finalists.

Landing Cornell is a long shot for Minnesota, but the Gophers are going all in this summer to attract defensive recruits to take over when the current upperclassmen are gone.

“We recruit length and speed. We’re not going to get all the five-star people,” Kill said to a crowd in Willmar, Minn. at the Gophers’ annual Chalk Talk trip on May 20. “We concentrate on length and speed and building them in the weight room.”

http://www.mndaily.com/sports/football/2014/05/30/kill-rebuilds-defense-next-recruiting-class

Go Gophers!!

per the Daily:

Jashon Cornell of Cretin-Derham Hall High School also said he was impressed by Hageman’s performance last season. Cornell, a five-star recruit ranked 16th in the class of 2015 by ESPN, called Hageman “an animal.”

“There’s nothing like him. Minnesota turned him into the player that he is,” Cornell said.

The defensive lineman confirmed reports that Michigan State is his favorite school so far, but said Minnesota will probably be one of his three finalists.

Landing Cornell is a long shot for Minnesota, but the Gophers are going all in this summer to attract defensive recruits to take over when the current upperclassmen are gone.

“We recruit length and speed. We’re not going to get all the five-star people,” Kill said to a crowd in Willmar, Minn. at the Gophers’ annual Chalk Talk trip on May 20. “We concentrate on length and speed and building them in the weight room.”

http://www.mndaily.com/sports/football/2014/05/30/kill-rebuilds-defense-next-recruiting-class

Go Gophers!!
He pretty much copy and pasted that part from his previous article on Cornell. Exact same stuff.

tOSU in the Cornell mix

Apparently Cretin's 4-star rated DE Cornell recently told Scout.com his top schools are Michigan State, tOSU, Mich, Penn State, and UCLA.

Who knows but I'd guess the Gophers are on the outside looking in right now.

Floyd, Eubanks, Binns, et al...long overdue to land one of these high-end kids

No surprise here. I'm confident Kill will recruit some under the radar DE that will perform just as well as Cornell at the D1 level.

My goodness, Jashon isn't coming here. Give it up y'all. Some elite MN prospects consider the Gophers, and some don't. Jashon isn't considering the Gophers.

Interesting that Penn State and UCLA are in the mix. I've never seen him show much interest to them. All 5 of those spots are better than him going to ND. And Jashon did tell the MN daily 2 weeks ago that Minnesota would likely be in his top 3. As for the title of the thread OSU being in the Cornell mix when have they not been? Old news and not worthy of a new thread.

Top Bottom