All Things Jarvis Johnson Thread

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That was an awfully quiet "official" weekend from Jarvis. Looking at his timeline there don't appear to be any Tweets. Who knows, maybe that's not his style, but to me the silence is deafening.

Hopefully he's warming up his keyboard and about to register for JJBBall at GopherHole.com

I would love to see Jarvis become a Gopher, but at this point I'd be pretty surprised if it happened. To date, he has shown far less interest in the Gophers than his former teammate, Travis Reid, and we all know how that turned out. Same kind of goes for Alex too, though I'm a little more hopeful with him. I'm kind of expecting our final commit to be another NE kid though.

I would love to see Jarvis become a Gopher, but at this point I'd be pretty surprised if it happened. To date, he has shown far less interest in the Gophers than his former teammate, Travis Reid, and we all know how that turned out. Same kind of goes for Alex too, though I'm a little more hopeful with him. I'm kind of expecting our final commit to be another NE kid though.

It's not like either have been particularly vocal about anyone else though. I still think we have as good of a shot as anyone for both.

I disagree. I don't think you can read anything at all into the lack of tweets or other publicity-generating actions. I think Jarvis and Alex are just more private about their recruiting process, especially compared to the three prima donnas last year.

The people in the know (close to the Gopher staff) continue to say they feel the Gophers sit in very good shape with both of them and think they'll come here.

The fact that there are so few other recruits we're hearing about now also tells me that we think we sit very well with those 2. (Compare last year when at any given time we were hearing about 8-10 guys). I suppose one thing to watch, while we're waiting, will be if we set up any other official visits with anyone else in the next couple weeks.

I think the reason you are not hearing about a ton of different recruits is the lack of available scholarships. We have one or possibly two spots available unlike last year when we had a ton of spots to fill. They cant be talking about 9-10 guys at this point if we only have room for 1-2.

This is a great situation for the team to be in at this point of the season. Having almost a full class by the time the season starts allows the coaches to focus in on recruiting for 2016.

This is a great situation for the team to be in at this point of the season. Having almost a full class by the time the season starts allows the coaches to focus in on recruiting for 2016.

Yep. More time to focus on Coffey.

Go Gophers!!

I always contended that the Lofton addition would have a positive impact on in-state recruiting...
might help open up the pipeline if he and/or jarvis see success here..

That would be an exciting backcourt, I could see them 2 plus Dorsey and Mason doing big things for years to come

I always contended that the Lofton addition would have a positive impact on in-state recruiting...
might help open up the pipeline if he and/or jarvis see success here..

That would be an exciting backcourt, I could see them 2 plus Dorsey and Mason doing big things for years to come

True, you did. Hope that comes to fruition. It does seem very advantageous to have local recruits hosted by other local kids who really wanted to be a Gopher.

Not to get off topic, but did Zach play AAU with Pulley, D1 Minnesota, or somebody else?

True, you did. Hope that comes to fruition. It does seem very advantageous to have local recruits hosted by other local kids who really wanted to be a Gopher.

Not to get off topic, but did Zach play AAU with Pulley, D1 Minnesota, or somebody else?

Pulley.

Yeah Zach played Pulley.
It was debatable whether he or Joe Coleman were the best on that particular team primarily during the EYBL circuit...

I think if Jarvis committs it greatly improves our chances with future in-state recruits( I.E. Coffey, Trent Jr., Tyus's little brother, etc.)
the thought alone gets me excited and makes me want Jarvis to be the next commit more than Clarke and Alex

Yeah Zach played Pulley.
It was debatable whether he or Joe Coleman were the best on that particular team primarily during the EYBL circuit...

I think if Jarvis committs it greatly improves our chances with future in-state recruits( I.E. Coffey, Trent Jr., Tyus's little brother, etc.)
the thought alone gets me excited and makes me want Jarvis to be the next commit more than Clarke and Alex

Don't forget Goanar Marr. Probably would have a much bigger impact on him than the other guys.

Don't forget Goanar Marr. Probably would have a much bigger impact on him than the other guys.

Very true.
He will be very very good and a JJ commit would have a big impact on him. Would love to get Marr.
Just makes me even more excited if JJ commits.

I have heard that some ppl think Tyus's brother will be at least as good as Tyus.
IDK if that is true or not, I have not seen him play enough to know for sure, but I have heard some say that.

Saw this on Buckyville regarding Jarvis...

jarvis.JPG

^^^^ It's hard to see, but click on the the above icon.

Amelia's interview with Jarvis about his visit at http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/274617651.html. Here were some of the questions and answers I found most interesting...

I imagine this trip was pretty different from previous visits for you. What did you do over the weekend?
Friday, I ate breakfast with coach Ben Johnson. Later in the day, I got to go to a class with Zach Lofton and got to see how that was. Then, I went to dinner with my family [his mom, dad and brother came along for the trip] and coach Pitino. We went to the football game on Saturday, football was most of the day, and then we went to go eat dinner at coach's house, which was fun. I got to chat with the players a little bit.

Did you feel like you got to know those guys a little bit?
I believe a little bit. I already knew Zach a little bit more than all the other guys. So I guess I did.

What about Nate Mason? Obviously you'd be playing a lot with him in the backcourt if you chose Minnesota.
Me and Nate did connect a little bit. We chatted just today. He was just seeing how things were going. While I was on the visit, him and Zach are roommates so while he was there, we got to chat a little bit about AAU, playing against him (and his CP3 team) last year.

How well did you know Zach before he came here?
His high school team beat my high school team when I was an eighth grader. I kind of knew him before that. We actually were in the same AAU program when we were younger.

Do you consider him good friend?
Yep, he is. My dad grew up with his dad.

Does that influence you at all towards Minnesota?
Not really. Zach just made it more comfortable. He just showed me around a little bit. But I don't think it had too much of an influence.

What did you think of the upgrades to Bierman Athletic Building [which has a new court area and locker rooms]?
I really liked it. Knowing that they work fast. From the time I was in there for the team camp, there has been a lot of progress that has been made there. I like what they're trying to do with the building.

How were the fans? Overhear anything at TCF Bank Stadium during the football game?
Yeah, it was crazy. As soon as I walked out of the tunnel, they just started chanting my name. It was cool to see though. I really enjoyed that part a lot. It was kind of a surprise moment, but it kind of just made me laugh a little bit.

Jonathan Nwankwo was there also -- how'd you get along with him? Did the two of you get to talk?
He just told me how interested he was when he got there. It's not what he expected, so it was kind of a surprise for him, that's why I think he committed. He told me he really enjoyed his time there. That's about it. We didn't really communicate about any of the recruitment stuff.

Did he try to recruit you after he committed?
Ah, not really. He's more of a quiet, laid back type of guy. I'm sure he was hoping I was going to say I was going there as soon as him but he didn't really try.

You've said you plan on committing around November. Is there a chance you could commit sooner?
There's a chance it could be before then, I'm not too sure. It depends on how the next visit goes.

Would you ever commit before finishing your visits?
I believe so. It's however comfortable I get with a school or just talking with family. It all depends.

Why is Alex from Northstar Hoops (the *Minnesota* preps recruiting site) posting this over on Buckyville and not here?

Hmmm I don't know. I just figured he was a Wisconsin fan living in Minnesota, kind of like JB and his late night hoops website.

You've said you plan on committing around November. Is there a chance you could commit sooner?
There's a chance it could be before then, I'm not too sure. It depends on how the next visit goes.

Would you ever commit before finishing your visits?
I believe so. It's however comfortable I get with a school or just talking with family. It all depends.

This is what I noticed the most. His next visit is Wisconsin.

This is what I noticed the most. His next visit is Wisconsin.

Yeah that definitely stuck out to me too. He could have easily just said "how the rest of the visits go", but the fact that he singled out his next visit is kind of telling in my opinion.

Yeah that definitely stuck out to me too. He could have easily just said "how the rest of the visits go", but the fact that he singled out his next visit is kind of telling in my opinion.

+1. Stood out to me too.

Well luckily Madison isn't much of a place to visit.

Well luckily Madison isn't much of a place to visit.

There is a chance that I'm biased ( :cool: ), but I suspect Jarvis will have a really good time on a football Saturday in Madison. It's been rumored to be UW vs. UM in his recruitment for some time now, so it wouldn't surprise me if he was ready to decide after seeing both of those schools with official visits.

There is a chance that I'm biased ( :cool: ), but I suspect Jarvis will have a really good time on a football Saturday in Madison. It's been rumored to be UW vs. UM in his recruitment for some time now, so it wouldn't surprise me if he was ready to decide after seeing both of those schools with official visits.

Im trying to be optimistic

I think he'll be a Badger, but that's ok. We have a pretty crowded back court. Besides, Dorsey is better. If he goes to Madison, then we beat them in the PG recruiting battle this year. If he comes here, then great. I'd prefer other players at this point anyway.

I hope Jarvis picks Minnesota but with McBrayer and Dorsey committed he is less of a priority. Mason, McNeil and Lofton also solidify the guard position for 2015. If the choice is Alex or Jarvis, Alex is the guy.

Jarvis would really thrive in Pitno's system. I'll be highly disappointed if he goes to any other school, especially Wisconsin (no offense UWOle).

Jarvis would really thrive in Pitno's system. I'll be highly disappointed if he goes to any other school, especially Wisconsin (no offense UWOle).

But it can't match the 1950's era appeal of Bo-Ball. Hard to beat a relic.

I think he'll be a Badger, but that's ok. We have a pretty crowded back court. Besides, Dorsey is better. If he goes to Madison, then we beat them in the PG recruiting battle this year. If he comes here, then great. I'd prefer other players at this point anyway.

I don't get why people keep saying this. Jarvis is a very good recruit no matter how you slice it. Even if the Gophers already have Dorsey and you consider him better than Jarvis, Wisconsin would still be getting a very good basketball player. Also, Jarvis is the ONLY PG they have offered for 2015. It's not like they have all of these other great 4-star or 5-star recruits lined up whose spot Jarvis would steal. If the Badgers do want a PG recruit and miss on Jarvis, they may have to settle for someone way down in the rankings. That's why, as a Gopher fan, you shouldn't want him to go to your main rival school if he indeed decides to go outside of Minnesota.

Top Bottom