All Things Isaac Asuma Recruitment Thread (Class of 2024, Minnesota's Top In-State Target)

Gophers basketball recruit Isaac Asuma says his AAU team is among nation's best​

"This year our coaches have been stressing a lot to score the ball," Asuma said. "I'm trying to get better at that and see more opportunities for myself. Instead of just dishing to my teammates. I'm still growing and getting better at it, but it's been a good process."

The Gophers added transfers Mike Mitchell (Pepperdine) and Elijah Hawkins (Howard) this spring. Both Mitchell and Hawkins have two years of eligibility remaining. Asuma could benefit by learning from veteran point guards the minute he arrives as a freshman in 2024-25, but he'll also be competing for a chance to make an impact.

"It'll be a battle every single day," Asuma said. "They're your teammate but in the summer when you get there, everybody's competing for a spot. You can't let your foot off the gas. You have to bring it."

Go Gophers!!

Gophers basketball recruit Isaac Asuma says his AAU team is among nation's best​

"This year our coaches have been stressing a lot to score the ball," Asuma said. "I'm trying to get better at that and see more opportunities for myself. Instead of just dishing to my teammates. I'm still growing and getting better at it, but it's been a good process."

The Gophers added transfers Mike Mitchell (Pepperdine) and Elijah Hawkins (Howard) this spring. Both Mitchell and Hawkins have two years of eligibility remaining. Asuma could benefit by learning from veteran point guards the minute he arrives as a freshman in 2024-25, but he'll also be competing for a chance to make an impact.

"It'll be a battle every single day," Asuma said. "They're your teammate but in the summer when you get there, everybody's competing for a spot. You can't let your foot off the gas. You have to bring it."

Go Gophers!!

New Gopher crush formed.

This guy, just gets it. He’s like a mini-PJ

Do the Gophers go from having lackluster guard play this past season to it being possibly a team strength in a couple of years? Mitchell, Hawkins, Carrington, Christie, Asuma. (If everyone stays)
Yes. We can play small ball 3 guards with rotation. It starts this fall.

Do the Gophers go from having lackluster guard play this past season to it being possibly a team strength in a couple of years? Mitchell, Hawkins, Carrington, Christie, Asuma. (If everyone stays)
Could be true for sure but we should probably see them play first? :) Carrington the only one to actually play so far...is pretty much hope he finds his groove at the present time.
Hopefully, Asuma and Christie are levels ahead of the others.

Man he moves well- effortless with bounce.

I’m thinking he’ll be moving up with his recruitment ranking.
Agreed, and in an event with about 50 D-1 players in Denver, to have 2 Gopher-committed players rated in the top 5 regardless of class (no, I don't know much about the person doing the rating) is pretty impressive.

No matter how you judge Johnson so far, it seems apparent that he's a good judge of talent and he can recruit. And that will only be a "fact" when these guys and his freshman class from last year develop, but from a talent and recruiting standpoint, I like what I see. And if he doesn't have some success this year, he's probably gone. But it looks to me like there's a foundation being built, and none too soon.

Could be true for sure but we should probably see them play first? :) Carrington the only one to actually play so far...is pretty much hope he finds his groove at the present time.
Hopefully, Asuma and Christie are levels ahead of the others.
Pretty sure Hawkins and Mitchell have played some college games.

none i have seen-none for the Gophers-none in the Big Ten
High School Highlight video. This is probably in this thread some where but I hadn't seen it.
Bunch of fun plays and great passes. 124 days to the official open of the season. We got some pieces to be much improved.

You literally posted this 3 days ago.
So the other day you were optimistic, but today pessimistic?

High School Highlight video. This is probably in this thread some where but I hadn't seen it.
Bunch of fun plays and great passes. 124 days to the official open of the season. We got some pieces to be much improved.

Easy on 60s. He just ran out of Zoloft.

Last edited:

It was cloudy this morning.

Agreed, and in an event with about 50 D-1 players in Denver, to have 2 Gopher-committed players rated in the top 5 regardless of class (no, I don't know much about the person doing the rating) is pretty impressive.

No matter how you judge Johnson so far, it seems apparent that he's a good judge of talent and he can recruit. And that will only be a "fact" when these guys and his freshman class from last year develop, but from a talent and recruiting standpoint, I like what I see. And if he doesn't have some success this year, he's probably gone. But it looks to me like there's a foundation being built, and none too soon.
Agreed Swish.

I really hope he does enough to justify another season, as it would be fun to watch that foundation germinate and grow!

I also think he’s a good dude and understands that we’re never going to be NIL U - doesn’t fit the U or MN’s culture - he knows both well, of course.

A unique person can build a program without bags of 💰as Fleck has demonstrated. When the worst thing someone says about you is that you’re 2 nice, that’s a guy I’m rooting for to succeed.

The young man from Cherry is unstoppable. CBJ is an incredible recruiter. Both Asuma and Grove could be 4 Star recruits!

Top Bottom