All Things Isaac Asuma Recruitment Thread (Class of 2024, Minnesota's Top In-State Target)

Grove chimes in:

Grove was disappointed he couldn't help his AAU teammates this summer, but he was proud of the way they battled without him, especially Asuma.

"Isaac had a super summer," Grove said. "He just gets better every time I see him. He just has that insane body control. He's working on becoming a better shooter and finishing around the paint. He's really good at controlling the game."

Go Gophers!!

Gophers basketball recruit Isaac Asuma will play football and baseball as a senior, too​

College basketball coaches including the Gophers' Ben Johnson flocked to Cherry, Minn., football games last year to recruit Isaac Asuma, a standout point guard with the athletic ability that helped him dominate in more than one sport.

The 6-3, 185-pound point guard committed in March to play basketball for the Gophers, but he was also a standout wide receiver and running back for the Tigers' 9-man football team on the Iron Range.

Asuma thought about saying goodbye to the gridiron this year. His future college hoops coach encouraged him, though, to keep playing multiple sports like he had in high school.

"I'll never play football again after this year," Asuma said on his decision to play again. "It's my last chance."

Johnson was a Division I prospect in basketball and football at DeLaSalle. Asuma will finish his senior year at Cherry as a three-sport star athlete: football, basketball and baseball.

"[Johnson] talked about how much he loved football in high school," Asuma said. "He was always encouraging me to play football since it was something different."

Last fall, Johnson and Gophers assistant Dave Thorson made the three-hour drive from the Twin Cities to watch some of Asuma's football games. A member of Iowa State's basketball staff also showed up in the home crowd as well.

Go Gophers!!

While hiking this weekend up at Lutsen I ran into a guy from Cherry and asked him about Isaac Asuma. He said Issac is the real deal and that Issac's little brother (Noah), as well as his cousin, are both going to be even better players. Maybe we've got a bit of a Cherry pipeline coming...

While hiking this weekend up at Lutsen I ran into a guy from Cherry and asked him about Isaac Asuma. He said Issac is the real deal and that Issac's little brother (Noah), as well as his cousin, are both going to be even better players. Maybe we've got a bit of a Cherry pipeline coming...
Noah's first love is baseball so he may be a Gopher in another sport. However, watching last years State tournament I took notice that Noah is a stronger version of his older brother. The family is athletically gifted for sure.

Noah's first love is baseball so he may be a Gopher in another sport. However, watching last years State tournament I took notice that Noah is a stronger version of his older brother. The family is athletically gifted for sure.
What position does Noah look like he will play in baseball? Just curious.

FWIW - Isaac is now listed ahead of Freitag and is now ranked as a Top 10 PG per24/7 rankings -

FWIW - Isaac is now listed ahead of Freitag and is now ranked as a Top 10 PG per24/7 rankings -

Freitag switched schools for this year? Didn’t know he is now at Breck.

Clearly because he chose the Gophers. The Gopher effect you know.

Clearly because he chose the Gophers. The Gopher effect you know.
I think he’s our Royce Lewis - the guy who will lead us to where we yearn to be,

He’s a leader and comfortable with the spotlight,

Based on one look, Mitchell could use some improvement. Stripped a couple of times the other night.
Yeah, when he first entered the game he was stripped right away. After that I thought he was more aware. Said it in another thread, but he’s better, so far, than I had expected.

So, theoretically, Asuma, Hawkins, Mitchell next year that are, hopefully, all adept ball handlers.
I really like that Asuma will start his career without the added responsibility of being our primary ball handler. Let him do all the other things before adding that to his plate.

Nice addition to Hawkins, Mitchell, Christie & Carrington. (if they all stick around)

Now we need someone with lots of bread to make it worth Dawson’s time to stick around for his extra COVID season.

Isaac Asuma, who has signed to play basketball for the Gophers, scored 19 points on Saturday to surpass 3,000 points for his career.

The senior guard, ranked the No. 3 recruit in Minnesota by 247Sports, helped Cherry defeat Solon Springs (Wis.) 90-71 in the Minnesota/Wisconsin Border Battle at Benilde-St. Margaret's High School. Cherry, ranked No. 1 in Class 1A, improved to 13-2.

Before signing with the Gophers, Asuma had received offers from multiple Division I programs, including Butler, Iowa, Iowa State, Nebraska and Xavier.

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!
Great size and smoothness; plays under control. Hard to say how it translates from lower level HS to major college basketball, but I can't wait to see. The one thing that pops--and will certainly translate well because it's universal--is his floor vision and decision making: his head is always up, and he's looking for opportunities for both himself and his teammates.

Top Bottom