All Things Isaac Asuma Recruitment Thread (Class of 2024, Minnesota's Top In-State Target)

Holloman is getting 10+ minutes a game as a freshmen and there is a Senior G starting. Assume he will start next year. Not sure he's an option unless he wants to come home. Excited to hopefully get the kid from Cherry to add to this young roster that will hopefully develop into a contender.
MSU also has the no. 24 overall recruit and no. 5 PG in the 2023 class signed for next year. Not saying the freshman will be playing more than Holloman, but when you go to a place like MSU, you know you're going to be getting plenty of competition.

Of the 11 players that MSU has signed from the 2020/2021/2022/2023 classes that are ranked, Holloman was the second lowest.

He's averaging 10 mins a game, but only averaging 1.5 shots a game.

Meanwhile, Henley is our least used freshman, and he is averaging 17mpg and 4.2 shots for perspective.

Capture33.JPG

Last edited:

I'd have to hear the exact wording again, but I believe Ryan James said on the talk gopher buckets podcast that released yesterday that the Gophers are now a big favorite to get Asuma. Iowa State is maybe backing off, and they got a commit from another player (not a point guard) a few days ago.

Holloman is getting 10+ minutes a game as a freshmen and there is a Senior G starting. Assume he will start next year. Not sure he's an option unless he wants to come home. Excited to hopefully get the kid from Cherry to add to this young roster that will hopefully develop into a contender.
He played plenty against IU the other night, but looked very tentative.

He's a defensive guy. Fits Izzo's system perfect.
Never said he wasn’t, did I?

To clarify, he looked tentative running their O in my opinion; I guess if I had an Izzy ass chewing possibly awaiting me, I might feel the same way.

Never saw him play in HS, but I was not wowed by him, I thought he looked very average.

Much more impressed with Dug McDaniel, MI Fresh. PG. Tre was rated three spite ahead him in their PG ratings for FWIW.

PS - PG still needs to initiate the O for the vast majority of teams, last time I checked.

Never said he wasn’t, did I?

To clarify, he looked tentative running their O in my opinion; I guess if I had an Izzy ass chewing possibly awaiting me, I might feel the same way.

Never saw him play in HS, but I was not wowed by him, I thought he looked very average.

Much more impressed with Dug McDaniel, MI Fresh. PG. Tre was rated three spite ahead him in their PG ratings for FWIW.

PS - PG still needs to initiate the O for the vast majority of teams, last time I checked.
Simply described his play with an observation. Didn't question a thing you said.

He's an athlete that had D1 Football offers. It will be interesting to see if his offense develops.

Simply described his play with an observation. Didn't question a thing you said.

He's an athlete that had D1 Football offers. It will be interesting to see if his offense develops.
Thanks for clarifying - I don’t see him leaving.

I’m hoping for someone who he established some sort of relationship along the way and read likes him and can see there’s lots of minutes available!

also listened to the Talk Gopher Buckets podcast. Ryan James said the Gophers are definitely leading right now for Asuma. James also mentioned a couple of other kids in the '24 class that MN is going after - of course, it all depends on how many scholarships are available.

But James said that Johnson and Thorson have done a good job of getting out in the state and building up relationships with coaches, recruits and families.

I am not sure I would ever want Henley as my primary or secondary ball handler. I am nit sure why he can't mostly play and guard the three as he has that size and skill? We seem to be enamored with playing tall slow players at guard like it's 1989. Most teams everywhere have gotten smaller and faster, at least those not named Purdue! Give me some speedy sub 6-4 guards and I would be enamored.

also listened to the Talk Gopher Buckets podcast. Ryan James said the Gophers are definitely leading right now for Asuma. James also mentioned a couple of other kids in the '24 class that MN is going after - of course, it all depends on how many scholarships are available.

But James said that Johnson and Thorson have done a good job of getting out in the state and building up relationships with coaches, recruits and families.
I’ve never listened to this podcast.

What type of stuff did he say about Pitino 2-3 years ago? Was he negative on him or was it similar to what he says about Johnson? I feel like so many of these guys have access, personal relationships, etc so it skews what they say publicly until a coach is gone.

What type of stuff did he say about Pitino 2-3 years ago? Was he negative on him or was it similar to what he says about Johnson? I feel like so many of these guys have access, personal relationships, etc so it skews what they say publicly until a coach is gone.
James was nice to Pitino on the podcast. He couldn’t stand him though when he was here. He kept it professional in the critiques and was generally supportive until the final season when the locker room was a mess and Carr was doing whatever he wanted.
He’s more supportive of Ben because of the relationships he builds and how much harder he works in recruiting.
It’s a good pod and worth the listen. They don’t do them very often.

All 130 episodes are available. RJ been more positive about Johnson recruiting than Pitino, but he's also a Minnesota guy, has a lot of relationships with the top prep and local AAU guys with his position at prep hoops. I would also say there aren't a lot of people who know as much about anything as RJ does about basketball. In game threads at 247 are worth the price by itself

Chip with a great column on Isaac:

College coaches love the way he plays, as a true point guard who doesn't need to score to influence games. At 6-3 and 170 pounds, Asuma does everything well in a style both smooth and forceful.

A large poster of Asuma hangs on the gym wall, honoring him as the school's all-time leading scorer. He will become the school's first D-I basketball player.

Multiple college head coaches have made the trek to Cherry to visit him. When Cherry played in an event at Hopkins in December, not only did Minnesota's Johnson bring his entire coaching staff to watch, most of the Gophers roster showed up, too.

"That was amazing," said Asuma (pronounced "awesome-ah".)

His impact in school and community extends beyond the basketball court. He is neck-and-neck to be class valedictorian, maintaining a 3.93 grade-point average while taking advanced placement classes.

If the school gave an award for most congenial, Asuma would win. He is the smiling definition of Minnesota Nice.

He serves on a student leadership committee and has earned so much trust that he has a key to the school so he can arrive 90 minutes before first bell to shoot baskets.

Cherry Principal Michael Johnson had Asuma make a video about proper behavior in school. Teachers in the elementary wing of the building show the video to their classes.

When elementary school children see Asuma walking through the cafeteria, they watch in awe and shout his name. He smiles and waves back.

Go Gophers!!

Chip with a great column on Isaac:

College coaches love the way he plays, as a true point guard who doesn't need to score to influence games. At 6-3 and 170 pounds, Asuma does everything well in a style both smooth and forceful.

A large poster of Asuma hangs on the gym wall, honoring him as the school's all-time leading scorer. He will become the school's first D-I basketball player.

Multiple college head coaches have made the trek to Cherry to visit him. When Cherry played in an event at Hopkins in December, not only did Minnesota's Johnson bring his entire coaching staff to watch, most of the Gophers roster showed up, too.

Great name for chanting in The Barn!
His impact in school and community extends beyond the basketball court. He is neck-and-neck to be class valedictorian, maintaining a 3.93 grade-point average while taking advanced placement classes.

If the school gave an award for most congenial, Asuma would win. He is the smiling definition of Minnesota Nice.

He serves on a student leadership committee and has earned so much trust that he has a key to the school so he can arrive 90 minutes before first bell to shoot baskets.

Cherry Principal Michael Johnson had Asuma make a video about proper behavior in school. Teachers in the elementary wing of the building show the video to their classes.

When elementary school children see Asuma walking through the cafeteria, they watch in awe and shout his name. He smiles and waves back.

Go Gophers!!

Anyone watching the boys State tournament last year heard Quincy Lewis gushing over this kid. It looks like Ben Johnson is going hard after Isaac Asuma. He seems like a great kid.

Asuma is the biggest show in town(ship). Now he's putting Cherry basketball on the map.

. . .
As a sophomore last season, he led his team to its second appearance in the state tournament, where he put on a dazzling display. A scholarship offer from Gophers coach Ben Johnson came next, followed by more from Iowa and Iowa State among a handful of Division I programs.

Asuma's profile soared last summer, when he competed against elite players nationally as a member of the D1 Minnesota AAU program based in the Twin Cities. His mother, Jolene, drove him six hours round-trip twice a week during spring and summer months so he could practice with his AAU team.

College coaches love the way he plays, as a true point guard who doesn't need to score to influence games. At 6-3 and 170 pounds, Asuma does everything well in a style both smooth and forceful...

...Multiple college head coaches have made the trek to Cherry to visit him. When Cherry played in an event at Hopkins in December, not only did Minnesota's Johnson bring his entire coaching staff to watch, most of the Gophers roster showed up, too.

Make sure they try to sell the program and not the Coach as he should not be coaching the team in 2024.

Make sure they try to sell the program and not the Coach as he should not be coaching the team in 2024.
I am unhappy with what I see so far but I want Ben to succeed. I hope he is the coach in 2024 and that things have changed for the better. If he can get over the hump and learn on the job, I think people in this market, including recruits will buy into him as a person. He was put in a tough spot.
We need to quit changing coaches.

Here is a thread about him that is the same as this one. Much more info. He isn’t under the radar.
I was looking for one. I didn't want to create a topic that was already made. I searched within this forum and nothing showed up.

Moderators, feel free to merge my topic into the original.

Asuma knows what it means to have SISU!

Top Bottom