All Things Isaac Asuma Recruitment Thread (Class of 2024, Minnesota's Top In-State Target)

forever a gopher

Reaction score
Holloman is getting 10+ minutes a game as a freshmen and there is a Senior G starting. Assume he will start next year. Not sure he's an option unless he wants to come home. Excited to hopefully get the kid from Cherry to add to this young roster that will hopefully develop into a contender.
MSU also has the no. 24 overall recruit and no. 5 PG in the 2023 class signed for next year. Not saying the freshman will be playing more than Holloman, but when you go to a place like MSU, you know you're going to be getting plenty of competition.

Of the 11 players that MSU has signed from the 2020/2021/2022/2023 classes that are ranked, Holloman was the second lowest.

He's averaging 10 mins a game, but only averaging 1.5 shots a game.

Meanwhile, Henley is our least used freshman, and he is averaging 17mpg and 4.2 shots for perspective.

Capture33.JPG

Last edited:

Cayman

Reaction score
I'd have to hear the exact wording again, but I believe Ryan James said on the talk gopher buckets podcast that released yesterday that the Gophers are now a big favorite to get Asuma. Iowa State is maybe backing off, and they got a commit from another player (not a point guard) a few days ago.

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
Holloman is getting 10+ minutes a game as a freshmen and there is a Senior G starting. Assume he will start next year. Not sure he's an option unless he wants to come home. Excited to hopefully get the kid from Cherry to add to this young roster that will hopefully develop into a contender.
He played plenty against IU the other night, but looked very tentative.

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
He's a defensive guy. Fits Izzo's system perfect.
Never said he wasn’t, did I?

To clarify, he looked tentative running their O in my opinion; I guess if I had an Izzy ass chewing possibly awaiting me, I might feel the same way.

Never saw him play in HS, but I was not wowed by him, I thought he looked very average.

Much more impressed with Dug McDaniel, MI Fresh. PG. Tre was rated three spite ahead him in their PG ratings for FWIW.

PS - PG still needs to initiate the O for the vast majority of teams, last time I checked.

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
Never said he wasn’t, did I?

To clarify, he looked tentative running their O in my opinion; I guess if I had an Izzy ass chewing possibly awaiting me, I might feel the same way.

Never saw him play in HS, but I was not wowed by him, I thought he looked very average.

Much more impressed with Dug McDaniel, MI Fresh. PG. Tre was rated three spite ahead him in their PG ratings for FWIW.

PS - PG still needs to initiate the O for the vast majority of teams, last time I checked.
Simply described his play with an observation. Didn't question a thing you said.

He's an athlete that had D1 Football offers. It will be interesting to see if his offense develops.

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
Simply described his play with an observation. Didn't question a thing you said.

He's an athlete that had D1 Football offers. It will be interesting to see if his offense develops.
Thanks for clarifying - I don’t see him leaving.

I’m hoping for someone who he established some sort of relationship along the way and read likes him and can see there’s lots of minutes available!

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
also listened to the Talk Gopher Buckets podcast. Ryan James said the Gophers are definitely leading right now for Asuma. James also mentioned a couple of other kids in the '24 class that MN is going after - of course, it all depends on how many scholarships are available.

But James said that Johnson and Thorson have done a good job of getting out in the state and building up relationships with coaches, recruits and families.

march madness

Reaction score
I am not sure I would ever want Henley as my primary or secondary ball handler. I am nit sure why he can't mostly play and guard the three as he has that size and skill? We seem to be enamored with playing tall slow players at guard like it's 1989. Most teams everywhere have gotten smaller and faster, at least those not named Purdue! Give me some speedy sub 6-4 guards and I would be enamored.

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
also listened to the Talk Gopher Buckets podcast. Ryan James said the Gophers are definitely leading right now for Asuma. James also mentioned a couple of other kids in the '24 class that MN is going after - of course, it all depends on how many scholarships are available.

But James said that Johnson and Thorson have done a good job of getting out in the state and building up relationships with coaches, recruits and families.
I’ve never listened to this podcast.

What type of stuff did he say about Pitino 2-3 years ago? Was he negative on him or was it similar to what he says about Johnson? I feel like so many of these guys have access, personal relationships, etc so it skews what they say publicly until a coach is gone.

Gopherfan84

Reaction score

What type of stuff did he say about Pitino 2-3 years ago? Was he negative on him or was it similar to what he says about Johnson? I feel like so many of these guys have access, personal relationships, etc so it skews what they say publicly until a coach is gone.
James was nice to Pitino on the podcast. He couldn’t stand him though when he was here. He kept it professional in the critiques and was generally supportive until the final season when the locker room was a mess and Carr was doing whatever he wanted.
He’s more supportive of Ben because of the relationships he builds and how much harder he works in recruiting.
It’s a good pod and worth the listen. They don’t do them very often.

Dupreefor3

Reaction score

All 130 episodes are available. RJ been more positive about Johnson recruiting than Pitino, but he's also a Minnesota guy, has a lot of relationships with the top prep and local AAU guys with his position at prep hoops. I would also say there aren't a lot of people who know as much about anything as RJ does about basketball. In game threads at 247 are worth the price by itself

Top Bottom