All Things Isaac Asuma Recruitment Thread (Class of 2024, Minnesota's Top In-State Target)

Me too, bro. If you're coming from somewhere farther than MSP, it's far easier to fly there.
That’s not my experience in having flown into Hibbing airport, as previously stated, and driven there more times than I can count.
It's still an option that a lot of other rural areas don't have. You also mentioned him visiting other schools and other schools visiting him. It's not that difficult when you can jump on a regional puddle jumper to do it, or coaches can take private jets in.
My point is and still was, it’s not as convenient for him/his family to travel outside MN during his basketball season, to go to see Games at another school vs, MN.
How that can be argued, is beyond my comprehension.

Agree to disagree or you can argue more with yourself, as I’m done son.

Last edited:

Isn't Carrington a PG?
I thought I heard he played some point for his high school team, but I imagine he'll mostly play 2 guard in college. I think Jaden Henley and Cam Christie are supposed to do some ball handling though at some point.

I would almost bet when he flies to Butler or Xavier or Nebraska he flies out of Duluth or just drives to the cities.

Unless the flight times are an inconvenience, why would you drive an hour to Duluth to take a regional Delta flight to MSP, when you can drive 6 miles and do the same out of Hibbing?

Unless the flight times are an inconvenience, why would you drive an hour to Duluth to take a regional Delta flight to MSP, when you can drive 6 miles and do the same out of Hibbing?
You can fly places other than MSP from Duluth. And I'm guessing it's 1-2 flights/day from Hibbing versus multiple from Duluth.

You can fly places other than MSP from Duluth. And I'm guessing it's 1-2 flights/day from Hibbing versus multiple from Duluth.

You're not flying direct from Duluth to most places, especially Cincinnati, Indianapolis, or Lincoln, NE. You'll almost always have a layover at MSP or O'Hare.

I don't want to take much more away from this thread, I am just genuinely curious as someone who flies on puddle jumpers to regional airports every few weeks for work, and has spent plenty of time on the Iron Range. It's not difficult to get to Hibbing by vehicle or flight.

I thought I heard he played some point for his high school team, but I imagine he'll mostly play 2 guard in college. I think Jaden Henley and Cam Christie are supposed to do some ball handling though at some point.
He did. He handles the ball pretty well but he is firmly a 2. I don't think Henley will ever be a PG and I think Christie will likely be a SG as well. Shoe-horning someone into the PG spot in the college game is tough.

I am hoping Holloman gets annoyed at Michigan State and transfers back here next year, and Asuma's first year is playing behind/with Holloman (who I still think is legit talented).

He did. He handles the ball pretty well but he is firmly a 2. I don't think Henley will ever be a PG and I think Christie will likely be a SG as well. Shoe-horning someone into the PG spot in the college game is tough.

I am hoping Holloman gets annoyed at Michigan State and transfers back here next year, and Asuma's first year is playing behind/with Holloman (who I still think is legit talented).
I had the same thought on Holloman. I have no problem with more than one point guard on the floor (or on the roster) at the same time. Hopefully, they can be reasonably consistent from the outside, too.

The nice thing about guys like Henley, Carrington and Christie is that while they may not be great as a primary ball-handler/initiator, they can help. I like having multiple options who can handle some pressure and get us into the offense.

That’s not my experience in having flown into Hibbing airport, as previously stated, and driven there more times than I can count.

My point is and still was, it’s not as convenient for him/his family to travel outside MN during his basketball season, to go to see Games at another school vs, MN.

He also had a lot of family there last night....it isn't just one person going to the games. I heard the visit went very well and that it's 50/50 between us and ISU. The have the NIL working for them. I've heard he really likes Ben Johnson and we will have more playing time immediately available. He also really liked ISU.

I had the same thought on Holloman. I have no problem with more than one point guard on the floor (or on the roster) at the same time. Hopefully, they can be reasonably consistent from the outside, too.

The nice thing about guys like Henley, Carrington and Christie is that while they may not be great as a primary ball-handler/initiator, they can help. I like having multiple options who can handle some pressure and get us into the offense.
Oh yeah, 100%. I think when you have a SG type who can handle, their ball handling is a major asset. It's when you make them be a PG where you put them into tough spots.

Playing Christie with 1 or 2 guys who can also handle, he's really tough in space.

Oh yeah, 100%. I think when you have a SG type who can handle, their ball handling is a major asset. It's when you make them be a PG where you put them into tough spots.

Playing Christie with 1 or 2 guys who can also handle, he's really tough in space.
Agreed.

Looking at Cherry boxscores it looks like his brother and cousin play varsity as well an 8th grader and 7th grader and putting up decent numbers. Wonder what their prospect levels are. If you get one and they turn out to be pretty good could have a potential pipeline.
Asuma might not the kind of kid who wants to put up grandiose numbers. He definitely could.
I think he (and his coach) might be satisfied if he gets 16 pts., 10 assists, and a dozen boards. my two cents.

He also had a lot of family there last night....it isn't just one person going to the games. I heard the visit went very well and that it's 50/50 between us and ISU. The have the NIL working for them. I've heard he really likes Ben Johnson and we will have more playing time immediately available. He also really liked ISU.
Thanks for the update and glad to see we’re probably where we should be at this point.
Sounds like he’s a team first PG/leader and man can you imagine him with Alley Opps to Evans😃

Last edited:

Any idea of how much the realistically could offer a player at his level?

Not sure that was a good game for him to be at. Poorly attended and waxed in almost every facet of the game.

They should’ve found the game on the schedule with the highest likelihood of a big crowd and got him to that game instead.
Schedules work both ways. He lives 4 hours away. He plays basketball and has a full schedule. Our crowd won’t beat others right now anyway. Get the family here and let them see what we have and sell what it can be. Asuma can come to any game he and his family want too.

Any idea of how much the realistically could offer a player at his level?
I don't know how much ISU has in NIL...I just having a feeling they are ahead of us. I read that PJ told one of the high school juniors that we don't pay people to come to the U, but we will help them find NIL deals once they are here. It seems like that is the path the U is taking at the moment. Every place seems to go about NIL differently.

I think we are in a good spot with the way it sounds....but we probably were in a good spot with Winter my guess is too. Coin flip....but it is two years away....hopefully we can find someone to play the point next year in the portal.

That drive isn’t bad. 4 lanes the whole way. Way easier than other northern cities (DL, TRF, Moorehead (flat land driving and drifts), Bemidji, etc…
Better than flying is my point. No one can argue the getting to games easier though. Metro kids can come after a practice. Not really an option for Asuma.

Last edited:

That drive isn’t bad. 4 lanes the whole way. Way easier than other northern cities (DL, TRF, Moorehead (flat land driving and drifts), Bemidji, etc…
Better than flying is my point. No one can argue the getting to games easier though. Metro kids can come after a practice. Not really an option for Asuma.
A stop in Hinckley is always an option too.

Because they fly further out of Duluth than they do Hibbing.

Asuma is listed as a pg on 247. He is the tallest player on the team in single A class. At 6-3 he is going to play with a few players 6’ and under so he doesn’t always play the point but he is all the talent to be a scoring pg.

Asuma is listed as a pg on 247. He is the tallest player on the team in single A class. At 6-3 he is going to play with a few players 6’ and under so he doesn’t always play the point but he is all the talent to be a scoring pg.
AAU is all that matters as far as evaluation goes for most recruits.

Henley has much better PG instincts than Carrington, I don't see Carrington playing much PG. If the Mich St roster stays the same and Holloman minutes don't change I hope he becomes a possibility.

Henley has much better PG instincts than Carrington, I don't see Carrington playing much PG. If the Mich St roster stays the same and Holloman minutes don't change I hope he becomes a possibility.
I'm not saying either is a point guard. I'm just saying they can get the ball up the floor on occasion if necessary. I just like having multiple options who can shoulder some of the burden.

Holloman is getting 10+ minutes a game as a freshmen and there is a Senior G starting. Assume he will start next year. Not sure he's an option unless he wants to come home. Excited to hopefully get the kid from Cherry to add to this young roster that will hopefully develop into a contender.

Top Bottom