All Things Isaac Asuma Recruitment Thread (Class of 2024, Minnesota's Top In-State Target)

Hibbing isn't Cherry though, is it?

Let me put it another way, you most likely won't know this. Asuma in Cherry was like Jim "Slim" Garrett in Virginia a long time ago. Or another way to put it, place the kid in Hickory, Indiana playing for Gene Hackman

Nothing wrong with it what so ever. I'm just making note that it is just out of the norm.

Hibbing isn't Cherry though, is it?

Let me put it another way, you most likely won't know this. Asuma in Cherry was like Jim "Slim" Garrett in Virginia a long time ago. Or another way to put it, place the kid in Hickory, Indiana playing for Gene Hackman

Nothing wrong with it what so ever. I'm just making note that it is just out of the norm.
Cherry town & Township are outside the Hibbing city limits. If you blink you’ll literally miss it when driving through it on Hwy. 37. About 10 miles outside Hibbing.

Per the 2010 census, the population is 860, so no it does not have many minority residents.

My mother is a Hibbing native and now lives in a lake outside Chisholm.

Last edited:

We better have a shot, we need him. From all indications, we have a legit shot at landing him.

If Cooper doesn't return, I hope we bring in another veteran PG to ease him into the position.
Asuma is class of 24. How much eligibility does Cooper have?

Cherry town & Township are outside the Hibbing city limits. If you blink you’ll literally miss it when driving through it on Hwy. 37. About 10 miles outside Hibbing.

Per the 2010 census, the population is 860, so no it does not have man minority residents.

My mother is a Hibbing native and now lives in a lake outside Chisholm.
I'm guessing mom lives on a lake versus in a lake or you got some 'splainin' to do? :)

One day about 10 years from now, we can all talk and marvel about Bob Dylan, Kevin McHale and Isaac Asuma three former Gophers all hanging out around Hibbing as kids....hopefully.

Not sure that was a good game for him to be at. Poorly attended and waxed in almost every facet of the game.

They should’ve found the game on the schedule with the highest likelihood of a big crowd and got him to that game instead.

Asuma is class of 24. How much eligibility does Cooper have?
Yeah, you're right. He'll be gone, I hope we bring in someone either this coming year or the following so that we don't plop Asuma into the starting PG position on day 1 without support.

Not sure that was a good game for him to be at. Poorly attended and waxed in almost every facet of the game.

They should’ve found the game on the schedule with the highest likelihood of a big crowd and got him to that game instead.
Were you at the game?

I was not. But looked empty in the upper deck and 50-60% full in lower bowl.

Kids had basketball
Lower deck was about 70%. Upper deck about 40-50%. Because of the 5 pm start, a lot of fans trickled in after the game started, so depending on when cameras panned the arena, that would affect the "look".

I was center court and the rows in front and behind me filled in after tip at least until about the 10 min mark of the half.

First half was a demonstration of what the team can be. The second half was a demonstration of how his skills would fill some clear gaps. It is all how you package it. Recruiting is as much if not more selling a future vision vs. a current state snapshot. It is no different than hiring a new employee. We talk about the current state. We talk even more about the future state with them playing a significant role.

I'm guessing mom lives on a lake versus in a lake or you got some 'splainin' to do? :)

One day about 10 years from now, we can all talk and marvel about Bob Dylan, Kevin McHale and Isaac Asuma three former Gophers all hanging out around Hibbing as kids....hopefully.
Well, her name is Nessie

First off, have you ever traveled to The Northland?

It’s 3+ hours to Hibbing/ Cherry to The Cities for sane drivers. Much more likely that he/his family need to find game that fits their schedule vs. what u mentioned.

My guess is that they may have come down to see the school etc…, spend quality time with the coaches and all the non-viewing game activities that are available.

@DarthGopher nailed the game part and of course he has pl of time to see more of them.

Living in such a rural location makes it more challenging for him to goto other schools (their games) as well during the college basketball season.

First off, have you ever traveled to The Northland?

It’s 3+ hours to Hibbing/ Cherry to The Cities for sane drivers. Much more likely that he/his family need to find game that fits their schedule vs. what u mentioned.

My guess is that they may have come down to see the school etc…, spend quality time with the coaches and all the non-viewing game activities that are available.

@DarthGopher nailed the game part and of course he has pl of time to see more of them.

Living in such a rural location makes it more challenging for him to goto other schools (their games) as well during the college basketball season.
From the Northland. I think this almost takes the gophers home team advantage away as it still requires a 3+ hour drive in good weather to see him play. With weather it’s almost not safe to drive. At that point you might as well fly somewhere.

From the Northland. I think this almost takes the gophers home team advantage away as it still requires a 3+ hour drive in good weather to see him play. With weather it’s almost undeliverable. At that point you might as well fly somewhere.
???

Everyone can see his AAU games in the summer or when he’s in the prep playoffs (easier as the get closer to The Cities); my point is that it’s much harder for him/his family to travel to other college campuses, during the school year, when he’s playing and also due to their remote locale and yesterday was a great day to come as schools were closed for MLK Day.

Yeah, you're right. He'll be gone, I hope we bring in someone either this coming year or the following so that we don't plop Asuma into the starting PG position on day 1 without support.
Isn't Carrington a PG?

???

Everyone can see his AAU games in the summer or when he’s in the prep playoffs (easier as the get closer to The Cities); my point is that it’s much harder for him/his family to travel to other college campuses, during the school year, when he’s playing and also due to their remote locale and yesterday was a great day to come as schools were closed for MLK Day.
I guess I’m still surprised it wasn’t a better fan turnout with a great / explosive opponent (most likely top 3 in the big10), a decent ripoff time, a holiday, and coming off a win.

Looking at Cherry boxscores it looks like his brother and cousin play varsity as well an 8th grader and 7th grader and putting up decent numbers. Wonder what their prospect levels are. If you get one and they turn out to be pretty good could have a potential pipeline.

Last edited:

Looking at Cherry boxscores it looks like his brother and cousin play varsity as well an 8th grader and 7th grader and putting up decent numbers. Wonder what their prospect levels are. If you get one and they turn out to be pretty good could have a potential pipeline.
Cherry 🍒 Pipeline!

???

I mostly agree with you, but there are daily flights in and out of Hibbing on Delta. It's not that difficult to get to and from, even in the winter.

Cherry 🍒 Pipeline!
When I look at the Cherry box scores, I see that he's put up some bad numbers in the losses and he must be getting his stats against really weak competition. Does this concern anyone at all? Shouldn't he be absolutely piling up huge games as a 3* guard against those small schools. The Broman bros were at Lakeview Christian Academy (his conference) and put up all-time state scoring records...

I mostly agree with you, but there are daily flights in and out of Hibbing on Delta. It's not that difficult to get to and from, even in the winter.
I’ve done that before bro and it’s a regional puddle jumper that still takes an hour to get to Mpls and in the time it takes you deplane and then wait and catch your connecting flight, it’s less of a hassle to just drive there IMO and experience - and that hasn’t factored in commuting to the Hibbing Airport as well.

When I look at the Cherry box scores, I see that he's put up some bad numbers in the losses and he must be getting his stats against really weak competition. Does this concern anyone at all? Shouldn't he be absolutely piling up huge games as a 3* guard against those small schools. The Broman bros were at Lakeview Christian Academy (his conference) and put up all-time state scoring records...
Not really.

Per his 247 Profile he’s currently the 23rd ranked PG and has 7 D1 offers.

I’ve done that before bro and it’s a regional puddle jumper that still takes an hour to get to Mpls and in the time it takes you deplane and then wait and catch your connecting flight, it’s less of a hassle to just drive there IMO and experience - and that hasn’t factored in commuting to the Hibbing Airport as well.

Me too, bro. If you're coming from somewhere farther than MSP, it's far easier to fly there.

It's still an option that a lot of other rural areas don't have. You also mentioned him visiting other schools and other schools visiting him. It's not that difficult when you can jump on a regional puddle jumper to do it, or coaches can take private jets in.

Me too, bro. If you're coming from somewhere farther than MSP, it's far easier to fly there.

It's still an option that a lot of other rural areas don't have. You also mentioned him visiting other schools and other schools visiting him. It's not that difficult when you can jump on a regional puddle jumper to do it, or coaches can take private jets in.
I would almost bet when he flies to Butler or Xavier or Nebraska he flies out of Duluth or just drives to the cities.

Top Bottom