All Things Grayson Grove Recruitment Thread (Class of 2024, Alexandria, MN; 6-8, 190lb; Gophers Commit!

Probably a really good kid, but belongs in the MIAC based on film clips I have seen. I agree that bringing him in is better than not using all the scholarships like the past couple of years.

Not really. People need to not be so simple about this. There is a lot to criticize about what Ben and staff have done to this point, but identifying talent early in the recruiting process isn't one of them. They have offered early on a number of kids who other peer programs and blue bloods later offered. They may simply be ahead of other programs as it is still very early in Grove's recruitment and he may be ready to commit
This ^^^^^
Offer early and often if you believe you can identify talent then take some swings. Might miss on a few and a few more might not pan out, but every once in a while we might find our basketball version of rashad Bateman who stays committed even when the blue bloods eventually come calling.

Highlights look nice, has anyone seen him play much? How does he compare to a guy like McAndrews?

Probably a really good kid, but belongs in the MIAC based on film clips I have seen. I agree that bringing him in is better than not using all the scholarships like the past couple of years.
A 6'9" player who can walk and chew bubble gum will get an offer better than D3. The guy has more than held his own against other legit D1/P5 big men.

I'm positive there is a better roster outline than this but I can't find it ... please upgrade
I'm curious about what it could look like in 2024-25?
Mitchell, Hawkins, Asuma
Christie, Carrington
JOJ, Betts
Garcia? Grove
Payne, Wilson...
then I think Fox and Ihnen have eligibility...could be here? If so we are out of scholarships?
Plus, I may well have forgotten somebody?
24-25: Garcia probably grad transfers? Fox and Ihnen don't play?
Mitchell and Hawkins are seniors?
Carrington, JOJ and Payne are juniors
Betts and Christie are soph
Asuma and Grove are freshmen
That's 9 guys...12 with the question marks staying...plus the Wilson experiment is 13
I realize half these people could transfer or something but just curious...
My conclusion is we need some big time guys to fill out the roster.... maybe they are already here and nobody knows?

Last edited:

This ^^^^^
Offer early and often if you believe you can identify talent then take some swings. Might miss on a few and a few more might not pan out, but every once in a while we might find our basketball version of rashad Bateman who stays committed even when the blue bloods eventually come calling.

Highlights look nice, has anyone seen him play much? How does he compare to a guy like McAndrews?
I've only seen game clips online of both of them, but I think McAndrews has more guard-like skills. He has a better handle and can move a bit better. I actually think McAndrews is pretty underrated (which I hate to say because I think he ends up at WI), but I think McAndrews is that typical WI skilled big who is a bit more athletic.

Maybe somewhere between Ruevers and Dekker.

I don't think Grove has the skills of a wing, he's a 4/5 who can shoot a bit. He might be a better rebounder and interior player, but it's hard to say. One of the things I do like about Grove is that he looked really good against good competition. That can be difficult for a 6'7" + guy from a more rural area.

I like this signing but it's not like we beat out Kansas on this one.
Unbelievable! It took like four posts to be negative. Theres like 900 other guys out there that are good players that help programs and help teams get to the ncaa tournament. Just because kansas wasnt involved doesnt mean this isnt a good signing! Dear god!

I've only seen game clips online of both of them, but I think McAndrews has more guard-like skills. He has a better handle and can move a bit better. I actually think McAndrews is pretty underrated (which I hate to say because I think he ends up at WI), but I think McAndrews is that typical WI skilled big who is a bit more athletic.

Maybe somewhere between Ruevers and Dekker.

I don't think Grove has the skills of a wing, he's a 4/5 who can shoot a bit. He might be a better rebounder and interior player, but it's hard to say. One of the things I do like about Grove is that he looked really good against good competition. That can be difficult for a 6'7" + guy from a more rural area.
Sight unseen gamble...if he grew up in Alexandria...I'll bet he can do ball handling drills proficiently.
The Alexandria Aces would have inspired kids in town to learn how. Aces

Unbelievable! It took like four posts to be negative. Theres like 900 other guys out there that are good players that help programs and help teams get to the ncaa tournament. Just because kansas wasnt involved doesnt mean this isnt a good signing! Dear god!
Literally said I liked the signing. I was a replying to a post declaring this was a sign of future conference titles. I'm not willing to go that far. Players like this should be the floor of recruiting if we hope to win conference titles. Is that okay?

He looks pretty athletic. He needs to get a lot stronger, but that's doable. Assuming that he adds a few pounds over the next year, I think he will be in the rotation as a freshman and a starter by his second year.

Solid signing.

Literally said I liked the signing. I was a replying to a post declaring this was a sign of future conference titles. I'm not willing to go that far. Players like this should be the floor of recruiting if we hope to win conference titles. Is that okay?

You should know by now that if a kid is from Minnesota, he automatically gets two extra stars.

I'm positive there is a better roster outline than this but I can't find it ... please upgrade
I'm curious about what it could look like in 2024-25?
Mitchell, Hawkins, Asuma
Christie, Carrington
JOJ, Betts
Garcia? Grove
Payne, Wilson...
then I think Fox and Ihnen have eligibility...could be here? If so we are out of scholarships?
Plus, I may well have forgotten somebody?
24-25: Garcia probably grad transfers? Fox and Ihnen don't play?
Mitchell and Hawkins are seniors?
Carrington, JOJ and Payne are juniors
Betts and Christie are soph
Asuma and Grove are freshmen
That's 9 guys...12 with the question marks staying...plus the Wilson experiment is 13
I realize half these people could transfer or something but just curious...
My conclusion is we need some big time guys to fill out the roster.... maybe they are already here and nobody knows?
Garcia, Fox, and Ihnen all will have eligibility remaining.

Wilson will not.

Agreed that he looks pretty athletic for his size - moves well, smooth, and runs the floor. The coast to coast sequences stood out to me. Adding some weight and being willing to play around the basket (and not float on the perimeter) will hopefully be a focus as he develops.

He looks pretty athletic. He needs to get a lot stronger, but that's doable. Assuming that he adds a few pounds over the next year, I think he will be in the rotation as a freshman and a starter by his second year.

Solid signing.
I like to think this is a Good get. Hoping he doesn’t recommit elsewhere in the interim. 🤞

Pretty sure this next season has to be Fox's last year, right? I believe this is Year 6 upcoming. I guess unless he files for a special medical situation and they give him a 7th.
Correct, he will get another year if he wants it due to Covid and injuries.

The point was made that it was a nice signing....BUT, at some point we still do need to sign some players who may make an immediate impact in the Big Ten. Yes, we can sign guys and hope they develop from diamonds in the rough to ALL BIG TEN level but the percentages suggest it may not work. It also certainly will take more time to even know the answer. Does Ben still have 3 more years for us to wait to find out? I like the player okay, will Ben be here to coach him?

He said Kansas, he have could have said Duke, Kentucky, Purdue, St John's, USC, UCLA, on and on versus Indiana St and St Thomas.

Ben says, everybody says, you gotta get older...meaning everybody at the top is fortifying their rosters through the portal. We have added enough to get a l m o s t as good as last year. Reminder: we finished in last place two years running. We need another possible contributor from the portal to to give us a better chance to just get out of the last one, two to four slots in the standings.

Side note: I wanna know what happens when we lose the first recruit to St Thomas? Wooden could be our coach and it will still happen at some point...I think that thread is going to be one of the uglier ones.

The boarders are locked down! Only a portal can take the homegrown talent away from our grasp!

Do we think Grove and Asuma are the only HS kids for this cycle? We'll probably lose someone to the portal off this upcoming season, but I think Wilson is the only one without eligibility after this season?

Solid pick up. I don't think he's a starter by his sophomore yr.. but a solid piece to the squad

Again, another negative comment while you claim you are being complimentary.

You said it, just own it.

The point was made that it was a nice signing....BUT, at some point we still do need to sign some players who may make an immediate impact in the Big Ten. Yes, we can sign guys and hope they develop from diamonds in the rough to ALL BIG TEN level but the percentages suggest it may not work. It also certainly will take more time to even know the answer. Does Ben still have 3 more years for us to wait to find out? I like the player okay, will Ben be here to coach him?

He said Kansas, he have could have said Duke, Kentucky, Purdue, St John's, USC, UCLA, on and on versus Indiana St and St Thomas.

Ben says, everybody says, you gotta get older...meaning everybody at the top is fortifying their rosters through the portal. We have added enough to get a l m o s t as good as last year. Reminder: we finished in last place two years running. We need another possible contributor from the portal to to give us a better chance to just get out of the last one, two to four slots in the standings.

Side note: I wanna know what happens when we lose the first recruit to St Thomas? Wooden could be our coach and it will still happen at some point...I think that thread is going to be one of the uglier ones.
Wow, you have fallen off the cliff. The U will never lose a recruit to UST, never. Just like the U never loses a recruit to NDSU or SDSU, etc...

Wow, you have fallen off the cliff. The U will never lose a recruit to UST, never. Just like the U never loses a recruit to NDSU or SDSU, etc...
It's hard to make such a definitive statement like that considering the current trajectory of each program. If things continue as they are it won't be long before that thing that should never happen actually happens. That's not being negative, it's just what is happening.

Football lost one to NDSU when PJ first got hired and he's in the NFL now IIRC.

Nah. In state kid and we have yet to ever have a scholarship issue. No downside in taking him, even if he's Treyton Thompson level.
Maybe. You’re right about not hitting up against scholarship limits, but it doesn’t mean they won’t.

I’m about to write some things people will hate. It’s a red flag that he committed so quickly. Maybe the U was his dream school. But, it also looks like he jumped at the only P6 offer he believed he might get. I also think it’s suspect to commit to a coach that has a good chance of not being there.

Maybe. You’re right about not hitting up against scholarship limits, but it doesn’t mean they won’t.

I’m about to write some things people will hate. It’s a red flag that he committed so quickly. Maybe the U was his dream school. But, it also looks like he jumped at the only P6 offer he believed he might get. I also think it’s suspect to commit to a coach that has a good chance of not being there.

People will only hate it if they don't deal in realities. According to 247 he had offers from Central Arkansas, Indiana State, Colorado State, Illinois State, NDSU, and St. Thomas. Not exactly a whos who of offers. Hopefully he develops more his SR year. Doubtful he's gonna contribute as a FR.

Top Bottom