All Things Gophers/UNLV Game Article Thread

this pantherhawk character really has nothing better to do? clearly a parent's basement dweller.

The journalism is very Sid-like. One person posted on one article and a whopping three people on the other including some clown who thinks they have a chance and doesn't understand the heat index. The rebs are very smallish at both receiver and the corners. I'll be curious to see the rest of their roster. I can't wait to see us run them off the field with our rotation of 2-deeps. I'm guessing Max may play most of the second half after Q runs them ragged the first 30-minutes.

Ski-U-Mah and Go Gophers!

They are still a team. We need to play the game before we win it. I know next to nothing about that team. But it is an away game, and gophers have looked past opponents like this before and it has come back to bite them.

I am optimistic about the game, but I hope the players don't think that these guys are just gonna roll over, like some of the posters here do.

Sent from my PLAYSTATION PHONE using tapatalk

They are still a team. We need to play the game before we win it. I know next to nothing about that team. But it is an away game, and gophers have looked past opponents like this before and it has come back to bite them.

I am optimistic about the game, but I hope the players don't think that these guys are just gonna roll over, like some of the posters here do.

Sent from my PLAYSTATION PHONE using tapatalk

Yeah, it'd be silly for any Gopher fan to take any game for granted. This will be a tougher game than our loss to New Mexico State last year. Hopefully, we've come a long ways since then, but, we'll see.

As we're getting closer to the game, more articles previewing the game from both sides will start popping up.

Go Gophers!!

That sounds great, but the low temperature typically occurs just before sunrise, not at 8pm.

True. Game time temps should be about five degrees lower than the high -- so 94. With low humidity and no overhead sun. Perfect night for football!

The Rebels Offensive Line from last year comes back intact. Can't tell you how good they were last year but they're experienced at least.

"And UNLV, despite its struggles the past two years, appear to be solid up front. Boyko and Waterman each have multiple honors, Rodgers and Zismann are proven seniors, and Jefferson at 6-foot-6, 300 pounds is the most athletic and could have the most potential.

For a team only expected to win three games, the line is one step in the right direction of proving the so-called experts incorrect.

“When you are playing the number of young guys we have, there is going to be some growing pains,” Hauck said. “But, frankly, (the line) held up better than I thought they would and we ran the ball well last year. That in itself gives everyone involved a lot of encouragement that we’ll be pretty good down the road.”

That road begins next Thursday against Minnesota with five familiar faces on the line."

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2012/aug/21/led-boyko-and-waterman-unlvs-offensive-line-return/

Now back to Weather Talk. :)

The biggest issue I see with the weather is maintaining fluids, It will still be plenty hot, maybe not oppressive, but hot. The stadium will cool down relatively quickly, and be much better by the second half, but the low humidity will still be a problem. In low humidity, your body loses more water than you realize, if your not drinking before your thirsty you can have problems. I expect the team will be better disciplined this year and we wont have any heat/dehydration related problems.

The biggest issue I see with the weather is maintaining fluids, It will still be plenty hot, maybe not oppressive, but hot. The stadium will cool down relatively quickly, and be much better by the second half, but the low humidity will still be a problem. In low humidity, your body loses more water than you realize, if your not drinking before your thirsty you can have problems. I expect the team will be better disciplined this year and we wont have any heat/dehydration related problems.

Can't remember where I saw this, but Kill said he felt like the staff had a better idea of which players cramp, get dehydrated quickly, etc. compared to last year at USC. And that Kill wasn't too worried about, someone like Gray, having to come out again due to cramps.

This is my take: the low humidity/high temp will have a bigger impact on ME the nonstop tailgating fan, than the players. /crosses fingers

+1. But even 90 degrees with no humidity at night shouldn't be too harsh.

Game time temp will be about 93, with the sun down I would guess. You will be surprised at how COMFORTABLE this is in the desert!! Great conditions for a game.

Been REALLY humid here lately, monsoon season, but it looks like the humidity will largely be gone by this coming weekend. Back to relatively dry conditions for the game. Can't ask for much more. Tailgating may not be that comfortable, two hours or more prior, but that's why I don't plan on doing that at Sam Boyd.

I think that they should drink plenty of water, starting days before the game. Airplanes are great places to get dehydrated, these guys should be drinking H2O before the trip and especially on the plane. Then continue up to and during the game. Go Gophers!

you do realize that 77 won't be until 1am

Actually more like 2 to 4am pacific. Still, it will be more comfortable as the game progresses. Not bad compared to the 110+ I experienced there about two weeks ago.

Substitute Gophers for UNLV

If you substitute a word or two and "Gophers" for "UNLV" in this article it's going to sound very familiar.

You have to like the confidence of the GOPHER football team. I sure do.

Despite being picked by several to finish near the bottom of the BIG TEN Conference, and despite winning just two (CONFERENCE games in each of the last two seasons, and despite not having a winning record since 2008, the Gophers’ players don’t seem to be fazed.

They truly believe this season will be different. Defining what different means when applying it to Gopher football is the tricky part. Is different three wins? Four? A bowl berth?

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2012/aug/22/ray-brewer-starting-think-unlv-football-season-mig/

Top Bottom