All Things Gophers in Spain Trip - Tweets, Articles and More!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Gophers 33-32- midway through 2nd qtr.. Good to see them have to battle a little more - at least I hope this is due to tougher competition.

Go Gophers!!

The amount of steals we are producing has me smiling and wincing at the same time....

Go Gophers!!

There are 34 more points coming from somewhere...seems unlikely 5 more guys each had 7 (roughly)...would be nice though. For us to compete those four guys (King, Morris, Mason, Dorsey) and Murphy somehow have to average double figures....because I don't think anybody else can score even a little bit consistently and without that we don't score enough to beat anybody. And nobody there is going to average 15 plus or heaven forbid we ever have somebody who averages 20ppg. (I mean 3 threes, 3 layups in transition or attacking the rim in the half court plus 5 made free throws is 20 points...it shouldn't be that difficult with any talent...ah...the ability to shoot, oh ya and quick enough, fearless enough to attack...we got guys with one of those skills...hopefully we find somebody with both or somebody that's even exceptional at one of those skills)

Iowa State beat Barcelona All-Stars 88-70 today. We won 89-66 the other day. I'm not sure if that means anything other than saying the both of these teams are much better than Barcelona All-stars(assuming they are the same team and played similar players).

Iowa State beat Barcelona All-Stars 88-70 today. We won 89-66 the other day. I'm not sure if that means anything other than saying the both of these teams are much better than Barcelona All-stars(assuming they are the same team and played similar players).

Well it obviously means if we played Iowa Stare H2H, we'd beat em by five points. :rolleyes:

There are 34 more points coming from somewhere...seems unlikely 5 more guys each had 7 (roughly)...would be nice though. For us to compete those four guys (King, Morris, Mason, Dorsey) and Murphy somehow have to average double figures....because I don't think anybody else can score even a little bit consistently and without that we don't score enough to beat anybody. And nobody there is going to average 15 plus or heaven forbid we ever have somebody who averages 20ppg. (I mean 3 threes, 3 layups in transition or attacking the rim in the half court plus 5 made free throws is 20 points...it shouldn't be that difficult with any talent...ah...the ability to shoot, oh ya and quick enough, fearless enough to attack...we got guys with one of those skills...hopefully we find somebody with both or somebody that's even exceptional at one of those skills)

Last year we had 3 guys average 10 pts or more with Andre leading at 13.8. We had another three at 8 pts or more...then a big drop off. Three of those 6 guys are back + Dorsey and Murphy. Add McBrayer to the list of guys who could score as the year goes on and Konate will also score on nights he is hitting the boards and getting put backs. I think the key to competing will be how hard these guys are willing to play on defense and whether or not they can rebound to end opponents possessions.

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

According to some people on this board, Morris should be riding the bench. Yes, he needs to improve his defense and decision making, but we are going to need his scoring ability when the offense gets stagnant.

Carlos Morris and Joey King will both average double digets. Will we get a 3rd guy to average in double figures? Maybe, but I think its much more likely to have 3 or 4 guys averaging that 8 point mark, most likely Mason, Dorsey and Konate.

Carlos Morris and Joey King will both average double digets. Will we get a 3rd guy to average in double figures? Maybe, but I think its much more likely to have 3 or 4 guys averaging that 8 point mark, most likely Mason, Dorsey and Konate.

Seeing that Nate averaged 9.8 ppg last year, I would be extremely surprised if he didn't average double digits.

Seeing that Nate averaged 9.8 ppg last year, I would be extremely surprised if he didn't average double digits.

in 25 minutes per game last year. if he's playing 30 minutes per game he should be over 10 pts per game

You honestly think Mason is more likely to score less than 10 points a game? Do you think his minutes are going down or something? Do you not realize how much scoring we're losing?

Joey played 29 minutes a game, scoring 9.7 ppt as essentially a catch and shoot guy who wasn't a main focus of teams last year. Now he'll be more of a focus. Teams are going to play him like they played Hoffarber and his minutes can only go up by so much at this point. It was a breakout year for him scoring-wise as a junior. Mason already scored more ppg as a freshman playing fewer minutes. Mason can score in a variety of ways and his minutes will increase more than Joey's. I think both will score over 10 a game, but why do you think Joey is more likely?

I don't disagree with you but

Last year we had 3 guys average 10 pts or more with Andre leading at 13.8. We had another three at 8 pts or more...then a big drop off. Three of those 6 guys are back + Dorsey and Murphy. Add McBrayer to the list of guys who could score as the year goes on and Konate will also score on nights he is hitting the boards and getting put backs. I think the key to competing will be how hard these guys are willing to play on defense and whether or not they can rebound to end opponents possessions.

I do think we'll play hard. I think we could rebound rebound better this year because I'm hoping we are quicker to the ball. But as critical as defense and rebounding are, at this level you gotta score to win. I think Dorsey and Murphy will score...if Konate, Buggs and/or McBrayer could add points consistently we'd be good if the other five guys we're expecting to score do come through. Gas rebounds and plays some defense...competitive team.

It's just inconsistency that kills you...guys can't go 18 and then 2....wow 10 ppg

You honestly think Mason is more likely to score less than 10 points a game? Do you think his minutes are going down or something? Do you not realize how much scoring we're losing?

Joey played 29 minutes a game, scoring 9.7 ppt as essentially a catch and shoot guy who wasn't a main focus of teams last year. Now he'll be more of a focus. Teams are going to play him like they played Hoffarber and his minutes can only go up by so much at this point. It was a breakout year for him scoring-wise as a junior. Mason already scored more ppg as a freshman playing fewer minutes. Mason can score in a variety of ways and his minutes will increase more than Joey's. I think both will score over 10 a game, but why do you think Joey is more likely?

I didn't specifically say that, but I get your point.

I'll admit I didn't realize that Nate scored 9ppg last year. Given that fact it is easy to see him scoring 10 ppg next year. While writing the post I was about to put Nate on that 10+ per game crew but hesitated as I'm unsure what his role will be on the team. Will he play in the 2 or will he be more of a facilitator. Nate is an interesting ball player that can score in bunches but I recall moments of being passive. If he gets the kind of defense pitino has predicted he will see how will he react?

I'm a big Nate fan, love his style of play when he's aggressive. Do I think he is more likely to score less than 10 per game? I don't know?

I do think we'll play hard. I think we could rebound rebound better this year because I'm hoping we are quicker to the ball. But as critical as defense and rebounding are, at this level you gotta score to win. I think Dorsey and Murphy will score...if Konate, Buggs and/or McBrayer could add points consistently we'd be good if the other five guys we're expecting to score do come through. Gas rebounds and plays some defense...competitive team.

It's just inconsistency that kills you...guys can't go 18 and then 2....wow 10 ppg

I think we agree. I am hoping for a couple of the frosh to have Andre Hollins type first years. Hollins average 8.7 points per game but was averaging about 5 points per game until about the 20th game of the year. Then he got the opportunity for more playing time and had great success. We have three young guys that have that potential this year in Murphy, McBrayer and Dorsey and they will all get playing time from the very start- because they have to. There is going to be inconsistency and that is going to lose them a few games they should win early. Overall I am more concerned about interior defense and rebounding than scoring. I think scoring comes naturally from Pitinos offense because it is a little freer and quicker allowing more instinctive play- easier for a frosh to function in, not to mention the points off turnovers.

Since Pitino would prefer to have a bigger/longer lineup, I think these will be the starters:

PG - Mason
G/F - Morris
F - Murphy
F - King
C - Konate

Dorsey would then be the 6th man, since he would be able to come in for any of Mason, Morris, Murphy, or King and still have a pretty solid lineup.

Since Pitino would prefer to have a bigger/longer lineup, I think these will be the starters:

PG - Mason
G/F - Morris
F - Murphy
F - King
C - Konate

Dorsey would then be the 6th man, since he would be able to come in for any of Mason, Morris, Murphy, or King and still have a pretty solid lineup.

I think I like it- pending actually seeing the players. :) It sounds like Murphy might be the perfect SF next to King as it sounds like he rebounds and goes hard to the bucket- two things that King doesn't do so much. Not a bad bench potentially, in Dorsey, McBrayer and Buggs- plenty of athletes there.

I think I like it- pending actually seeing the players. :) It sounds like Murphy might be the perfect SF next to King as it sounds like he rebounds and goes hard to the bucket- two things that King doesn't do so much. Not a bad bench potentially, in Dorsey, McBrayer and Buggs- plenty of athletes there.

I think it'll be hard to keep Dorsey out of the starting lineup, especially with his defense. Now, I'm not the coach, but I would probably think in terms of a three-man primary rotation at guard - Mason, Morris and Dorsey. Only two would start, but all three would get about equal minutes.

I think it'll be hard to keep Dorsey out of the starting lineup, especially with his defense. Now, I'm not the coach, but I would probably think in terms of a three-man primary rotation at guard - Mason, Morris and Dorsey. Only two would start, but all three would get about equal minutes.

Similar to what we had last year.

However, I feel McBrayer is in that mix somewhere, not sure if they see him as a SF more than a guard?

One name no one has mentioned and I don't recall in the recaps, Gilbert....

Top Bottom