All Things Gophers Basketball Class of 2022 Recruiting Thread

I know nothing, seems like he's waiting for a "better" offer? And it hasn't come. Tcu looks pretty good this year and he has an offer there. Could see him being a David Jenkins jr, Zeke Mayo type at south dakota state
Going to guess he can't sign with TCU if he wanted to.

If court vision is a trait and carelessness is a bad habit, maybe that is something he can learn and be an asset by his sophomore year. I liked that I saw him take several charges in his highlight tape! And yeah he had a lot of nifty passes which means he's probably had some real risky ones too.

One of our problems with filling the portal is we can't promise playing time to every guy, and we can't promise a chance to be a smaller role player on a team making a deep run. I've seen a lot of people say Loewe/Stephens would have been nice as 15 mpg guys...well they wouldn't have come here if they thought that's what they would get.

This year we filled the end of bench with guys like Ogele and Daniels and Thiam and had an unfilled scholly (I think) because we couldn't get any else to sign up after our initial strong start of Willis/Loewe/Stephens. I would rather sign a local developmental recruit now than a random ass marginal transfer later in July.

Just my 2 cents. And 2 cents isn't worth as much as it used to be.
I absolutely think Dodd can grow into a player who values every possession. His court vision and capacity to anticipate the opponents move on both ends is an intangible that could make him a good player in time. He just wouldn't come in and help immediately at a B1G school.

I wonder why he is unsigned? Does not have a ton of offers. His name has been out there for some time. He played for Sizzle so he got the exposure and they have many connections.. not many low D 1’s seem interested.. seems odd
I wonder what his grades are like?

Hopefully SSP gets past DeLasalle. I misspoke. The game is on Thursday at SSP.

Pharrel Payne excited to join Gophers, but looking for state tournament trip first​

The Gophers ended their season last week with 13-17 record in Ben Johnson's first year as coach, but Payne saw a culture being established in his future college program this year.

"What I saw from them that is big to me is being tough – they fought in the Big Ten," Payne said. "Even though it didn't end up the way they wanted it to. They fought. They fought until the end."

The only non-senior in the Gopher rotation this season was sophomore forward Jamison Battle, who led the team with 17.5 points and 6.3 rebounds to earn All-Big Ten honorable mention honors.

"I'm definitely excited," Payne said about playing with Battle. "I think me and him will go great together. He's really good at shooting, a crazy shooter and super athletic."

Johnson will be looking to replace sixth-year senior and starting center Eric Curry, who could join the team as a graduate assistant. Payne saw enough watching the Gophers behind the bench for several games to get excited about how he fits into their system.

"They're able to move the ball and get it to the big man," Payne said. "That's a big thing for me. I like their playing style. I wish I could speed up the time [to get there]."

Go Gophers!!

Has there been any talk about anyone else committing? Danny Wolf for instance. There are still people on the 247 site, but "Interested" or "Scout Look". Maybe they have what they want and will use the portal for anyone else they need. There are a few Minnesota guys, but maybe not a good fit. I have no idea. Just wondering if someone is more closely involved.

Has there been any talk about anyone else committing? Danny Wolf for instance. There are still people on the 247 site, but "Interested" or "Scout Look". Maybe they have what they want and will use the portal for anyone else they need. There are a few Minnesota guys, but maybe not a good fit. I have no idea. Just wondering if someone is more closely involved.
I wonder what happened to him. We offered in May, along with a bunch of low-majors. Then there are no more updates since his visit here in June.

I checked out his Twitter page and there is a lot of WashU activity...they are D3. Doesn't say he committed there though. Crazy for him to fall that far that fast if he does end up there. That said WashU is a fantastic institution (wife went there for medical school).

Pharrel Payne excited to join Gophers, but looking for state tournament trip first​

The Gophers ended their season last week with 13-17 record in Ben Johnson's first year as coach, but Payne saw a culture being established in his future college program this year.

"What I saw from them that is big to me is being tough – they fought in the Big Ten," Payne said. "Even though it didn't end up the way they wanted it to. They fought. They fought until the end."

The only non-senior in the Gopher rotation this season was sophomore forward Jamison Battle, who led the team with 17.5 points and 6.3 rebounds to earn All-Big Ten honorable mention honors.

"I'm definitely excited," Payne said about playing with Battle. "I think me and him will go great together. He's really good at shooting, a crazy shooter and super athletic."

Johnson will be looking to replace sixth-year senior and starting center Eric Curry, who could join the team as a graduate assistant. Payne saw enough watching the Gophers behind the bench for several games to get excited about how he fits into their system.

"They're able to move the ball and get it to the big man," Payne said. "That's a big thing for me. I like their playing style. I wish I could speed up the time [to get there]."

Go Gophers!!
I'm excited for Payne, but according to many here we would be lucky to see him next year. Big men take 5-10 years to develop into anything 😁, or is that just when the guy is bad and you want an excuse?

To balance the classes, I doubt you'd want more than 4 recruits from most classes unless you can get a really good one. We were so unbalanced last year. Next year we'll probably be unbalanced again but not as much. I also think as Minnesota improves they'll be able to get better recruits. I don't think you want too many 4-year players until you've made your program attractive enough for the better players.

I think this class is going to surprise a lot of people. Just an outsider's view with no personal interaction but looks like a shit load of potential.
I can't comment on Henley as I haven't seen him live, but if he is 6'6 or 6'7, as a lot of people are saying, what he shows on video is pretty impressive. The guy I've seen live the most is Payne, and he's going to surprise a lot of people who don't think he'll play much next year. This kid has a load of talent. Great hands and feet, very athletic, really good strength and size. And he's going to get better in a hurry. I think you can throw the recruiting rankings for him in the trash, he's going to be a big contributor for the Gophers next year.

To balance the classes, I doubt you'd want more than 4 recruits from most classes unless you can get a really good one. We were so unbalanced last year. Next year we'll probably be unbalanced again but not as much. I also think as Minnesota improves they'll be able to get better recruits. I don't think you want too many 4-year players until you've made your program attractive enough for the better players.
Here are the players eligible for 4 years we have recruited in Pitino's tenure, who used all 4 years of eligibility, or still could:

2020: Jamal Mashburn, Martice Mitchell, David Mutaf
2019: Isaiah Ihnen, Bryan Greenlee, Sam Freeman, Tre Williams
2018: Dan Oturu, Jarvis Omersa, Gabe Kalscheur
2017: Isaiah Washington, Jamir Harris
2016: Amir Coffey, Eric Curry, Michael Hurt
2015: Kevin Dorsey, Dupree McBrayer, Jordan Murphy, Jarvis Johnson, Ahmad Gilbert
2014: Nate Mason, Josh Martin, Bakary Konate, Gaston Diedhiou
2013: Daquein McNeil

Pitino took one class of 5 recruits, and it turned out to give us some great players in Jordan Murphy and Dupree McBrayer who as seniors coincided with our 2018 season where we beat Louisville in the NCAA tournament.

I want to take more shots on goal with freshman recruits if we have the spots. So much can happen -- guys leave early for the NBA, have health issues like Jarvis, off court issues like Dorsey, leave for more playing time/unhappiness like most guys...it is rare to have unproductive guys like Diedhiou stick around for 4 years these days. If we take 5-6 recruits, I am very confident that 2-3 will wash out within 2 years and then you re-recruit that scholarship.

I can't comment on Henley as I haven't seen him live, but if he is 6'6 or 6'7, as a lot of people are saying, what he shows on video is pretty impressive. The guy I've seen live the most is Payne, and he's going to surprise a lot of people who don't think he'll play much next year. This kid has a load of talent. Great hands and feet, very athletic, really good strength and size. And he's going to get better in a hurry. I think you can throw the recruiting rankings for him in the trash, he's going to be a big contributor for the Gophers next year.
Sounds great. Having a guy like Payne making other teams defend around him will be a welcome addition. Just having a strong inside presence to offset the pretty good outside shooting of Battle and hopefully who takes Willis' spot among others is got my chili warming up.

He looks solid and could surprise some people when he gets here and develops, but that competition in this video leaves a lot to be desired. No offense to anyone but those kids looked like an average junior varsity team. Hopefully he played against some good teams during his high school year anyways.
Yeah....those teams couldn't hang with Ubah Medical High School...... :) :cool:

He looks solid and could surprise some people when he gets here and develops, but that competition in this video leaves a lot to be desired. No offense to anyone but those kids looked like an average junior varsity team. Hopefully he played against some good teams during his high school year anyways.
One thing that caught my eye (and I could be totally wrong about it), was at the very end when he accepted that chain thing. He looked almost reluctant to put it on. Sort of a humility type of thing. If true, that's a good sign. Not about playing ability, but about good attitude.

But my perceptions have been wrong in the past and will continue in the future, so take it for what it's worth.

All net.

Agreed. The problem with that comes into play when the opposition has a beefy but athletic center like Cockburn. You have to have a 5 on defense that can counter.
Thats not necessarily true. You can go small and put a big man on skates and thus offset the advantage (cf. Johnson's take on Hunter Dickenson hitting the pine during the Gophers win there this season).

He played in the largest division in California. He played some good teams.

Here are the players eligible for 4 years we have recruited in Pitino's tenure, who used all 4 years of eligibility, or still could:

2020: Jamal Mashburn, Martice Mitchell, David Mutaf
2019: Isaiah Ihnen, Bryan Greenlee, Sam Freeman, Tre Williams
2018: Dan Oturu, Jarvis Omersa, Gabe Kalscheur
2017: Isaiah Washington, Jamir Harris
2016: Amir Coffey, Eric Curry, Michael Hurt
2015: Kevin Dorsey, Dupree McBrayer, Jordan Murphy, Jarvis Johnson, Ahmad Gilbert
2014: Nate Mason, Josh Martin, Bakary Konate, Gaston Diedhiou
2013: Daquein McNeil

Pitino took one class of 5 recruits, and it turned out to give us some great players in Jordan Murphy and Dupree McBrayer who as seniors coincided with our 2018 season where we beat Louisville in the NCAA tournament.

I want to take more shots on goal with freshman recruits if we have the spots. So much can happen -- guys leave early for the NBA, have health issues like Jarvis, off court issues like Dorsey, leave for more playing time/unhappiness like most guys...it is rare to have unproductive guys like Diedhiou stick around for 4 years these days. If we take 5-6 recruits, I am very confident that 2-3 will wash out within 2 years and then you re-recruit that scholarship.
Curious as to how you think that McBrayer was great.

There are people who don't think Payne will play much next year?

Top Bottom