All Things Gophers Basketball Class of 2022 Recruiting Thread

Yeah. King and Carrington are pretty close and I think that's probably accurate. I might even put King slightly ahead of Carrington because I think King might have a little more position versatility (could play a little 1), but I think they're close.

That said, Carrington is one of those players that can be kind of difficult to grade because he is so smooth. He is a good athlete but he is more just a really good ball player. I think they great athlete types might shine a bit more in HS because they are just so superior to the other people around him athletically.

So, I think Carrington has a higher floor than King but maybe a slightly lower ceiling. But they are damn close (in my untrained opinion).
Agree with the athleticism and that’s actually why I like Carrington better, when both played in July against equal or better athletes Carrington still flourished while King struggled. Hence me liking Carrington over King

Looks like Connor Essegian committed to Wisconsin today. Shooting guard from Indiana that the Gophers offered this summer, and I think we even had him on a visit. Surprised Spaulding didn't rush over here to inform us that another white guy will be playing for the Badgers.

Cool to see Payne and Pierre get 4 star ratings today.

Looks like Connor Essegian committed to Wisconsin today. Shooting guard from Indiana that the Gophers offered this summer, and I think we even had him on a visit. Surprised Spaulding didn't rush over here to inform us that another white guy will be playing for the Badgers.

Cool to see Payne and Pierre get 4 star ratings today.
Wonder how Wisconsin recruiting is going. I seem to recall they wrapped up their 2021 class real early and were supposed to have a jump on 2022, but Connor is their first commit?

Wonder how Wisconsin recruiting is going. I seem to recall they wrapped up their 2021 class real early and were supposed to have a jump on 2022, but Connor is their first commit?
They have one to give for 2022, but I'm guessing if Braden Huff wants in he will be a take. I like Conner I think he's a chance to be good, I like Carrington better though, Carrington's a longer player and has a chance to be better on both ends of the floor IMO. Connor reminds me of Jamir Harris, a guy I thought we gave up on to early

Has Dunn committed to Virginia officially?

Byrd already had an OV to Santa Clara.

top 8 also includes Villanova, Washington and pacific. His dad is or was an assistant at pacific and Byrd has been on that campus often.

built: do we have a shot here?

Last edited:

We need to sweetin the pot for Dunn and Pierre. Where is our cooperate backers, now we need to start paying these young men and get them on the payroll. They need to step up now as we are in range to go big time with this squad and start something new and exciting for Minnesota.

top 8 also includes Villanova, Washington and pacific. His dad is or was an assistant at pacific and Byrd has been on that campus often.

I think you need to be asking whalenfan that question.

We need to sweetin the pot for Dunn and Pierre. Where is our cooperate backers, now we need to start paying these young men and get them on the payroll. They need to step up now as we are in range to go big time with this squad and start something new and exciting for Minnesota.
I know this is a little bit of apples/oranges comparison, but if I was Fleck/Johnson/Whalen/Motzko etc I would certainly be using Gable's massive NIL deal with WWE as a point of emphasis showing the U of M athletes have the ability to hit it big. Again, I know they are not direct comparisons, I get that, but hey look a wrestling guy here got more than the the Bama QB, so as an athletic dept we know how to make those things work and its proven MN can be a place where big money for NIL deals can happen.

No idea.

I know this is a little bit of apples/oranges comparison, but if I was Fleck/Johnson/Whalen/Motzko etc I would certainly be using Gable's massive NIL deal with WWE as a point of emphasis showing the U of M athletes have the ability to hit it big. Again, I know they are not direct comparisons, I get that, but hey look a wrestling guy here got more than the the Bama QB, so as an athletic dept we know how to make those things work and its proven MN can be a place where big money for NIL deals can happen.
I mean yes, but Gable's deal is much more related to the gold medal than anything he has done in Minnesota haha. Maybe if he had gotten that deal off being a national champion only it would be a lot more relatable to recruits.

College football and basketball players don't have the opportunity to win gold medals on an international stage, so I don't see them necessarily being convinced by someone who's situation is completely different than theirs.

Love that this staff went identified Dunn and went toe to toe for him. Thorson loves the player as a Brogdon . Getting him would be a major score.

247 has Dunn officially committed to Virginia. Pierre is visiting Providence today; Byrd is visiting U of Washington today.
Can we make it to Monday still having a chance at either of our two remaining targets?

Last edited:

247 has Dunn officially committed to Virginia. Pierre is visiting Providence today; Byrd is visiting U of Washington today.
Can we make it to Monday still having a chance at either of our two remaining targets?
Per SBNATION:

Virginia basketball lands big time commitment from Ryan Dunn​

Top Bottom