All Things Gophers Basketball Class of 2022 Recruiting Thread

How things changed with Demarion Watson over the span of 2 months is really something. Ben Johnson watched him closely over the AAU circuit, and he really struggled in all aspects of his game over multiple weekends. The evaluations changed and BJ obviously decided the fit wasn't right, and moved on.

Evaluations are fluid and change. I think in March, DW was a top priority for Johnson. That changed this summer. It sounds a lot like Carrington and Payne are virtual locks for the Gophers. The key to this class still hinges on Tre Holloman, and it's why another top guard is visiting in September. Gotta have a back-up plan if Tre picks Izzo.
Carrington and Payne? I'll gladly take them. They have to understand the situation at the UM with an unproven HC, the need for solid recruits rather than transfers, especially MN kids and lots of PT out there. There has to come a time when BJ can entice "someone good" from the 22 class to be a Gopher. When will that happen? IMO, the longer Carrington and Payne wait, the chance they will commit lessens. If they are locks, what's the holdup?

Same withTre. He has had ample time to become a Gopher. IMO, he's gone.

Carrington and Payne? I'll gladly take them. They have to understand the situation at the UM with an unproven HC, the need for solid recruits rather than transfers, especially MN kids and lots of PT out there. There has to come a time when BJ can entice "someone good" from the 22 class to be a Gopher. When will that happen? IMO, the longer Carrington and Payne wait, the chance they will commit lessens. If they are locks, what's the holdup?

Same withTre. He has had ample time to become a Gopher. IMO, he's gone.
It’s not even September yet. They just finished their last season of AAU. It’s still plenty early. This attitude would’ve not gotten you Amir Coffey and plenty of other Minnesota kids who committed in September.
Next week Carrington (who’s unofficially visited once and went back and watched a practice) is going to give us his first official visit. Payne will probably do this shortly after too. They are on a fair and average timeline. The staff is building relationships with the 2023s and 2024s where we may have a shot at landing them earlier next year.

It’s not even September yet. They just finished their last season of AAU. It’s still plenty early. This attitude would’ve not gotten you Amir Coffey and plenty of other Minnesota kids who committed in September.
Next week Carrington (who’s unofficially visited once and went back and watched a practice) is going to give us his first official visit. Payne will probably do this shortly after too. They are on a fair and average timeline. The staff is building relationships with the 2023s and 2024s where we may have a shot at landing them earlier next year.
All of this. Plus you know they are wanting to get Tre on an official visit at some point (maybe for the OSU game since he’s a basketball/football recruit) before he decides in September.

We cooled on DW? Where is that info coming from? I know it's a joke, but I don't think we cooled on him

We cooled on DW? Where is that info coming from? I know it's a joke, but I don't think we cooled on him
We had moved on to offer and watch other 3's and 4's is where that is coming from. It could've been Watson who cooled on us too or both.

We had moved on to offer and watch other 3's and 4's is where that is coming from. It could've been Watson who cooled on us too or both.

I'm just saying what Ryan James is reporting (and he's wrong all the time, so grain of salt and all that).

But everyone over on the GI board says that Watson probably didn't have a committable offer from us at this point in time. He's had a very disappointing AAU campaign and we've moved on to other wing targets (Jasen Green etc).

If we did cool on him, this will be an initial indicator of Ben’s ability to evaluate talent. Seems like DW fits the mold of guys who have come back to haunt us in the past. However, it’s hard to judge until we see how this class ends up.

If we did cool on him, this will be an initial indicator of Ben’s ability to evaluate talent. Seems like DW fits the mold of guys who have come back to haunt us in the past. However, it’s hard to judge until we see how this class ends up.
It’s Pitinoesque. Boom or bust.

I'm just saying what Ryan James is reporting (and he's wrong all the time, so grain of salt and all that).

But everyone over on the GI board says that Watson probably didn't have a committable offer from us at this point in time. He's had a very disappointing AAU campaign and we've moved on to other wing targets (Jasen Green etc).
That would really surprise me if James was wrong in this one. His boss at Prep Hoops is Watson's high school coach and he's pretty connected with the Sizzle guys from my understanding.

Watson was plan A for ISU. Doesn’t mean he was still Plan A for other schools. Evaluations change and style of play matters for the coaches and the player. Still a good player and I’m sure he’ll do fine down there, but just not what other schools wanted right now.

Watson was plan A for ISU. Doesn’t mean he was still Plan A for other schools. Evaluations change and style of play matters for the coaches and the player. Still a good player and I’m sure he’ll do fine down there, but just not what other schools wanted right now.
So the U didn’t want him? He had an offer from Ben. What message does that send to the other MN kids/AAU coaches/parents

So the U didn’t want him? He had an offer from Ben. What message does that send to the other MN kids/AAU coaches/parents
To be clear on the outset I don't know how these things work but what I suspect is the case, is this: When an athlete is offered a scholarship they probably have the opportunity to accept and commit on the spot. If they don't commit on the spot I suspect they are told to call and tell the coaches when they are ready to commit to make sure the spots are still open. Spots may not be open to accespt a commitment at another time because of how recruiting is going with other recruits. Of course there are a handful of recruits that the coaches will never, not accept (yes, awkward) a commitment as long as they truly have an open scholarship (as defined by the NCAA rules). Holmgren would have been one of these.

Hmmm. Interesting way to recruit.
Better than him coming here and after one year ben telling him to transfer. Not sure why you think that a guy who has a bad summer and ben changes his mind on guy, why ben should still take his committment. Ben doesnt want him anymore. Not the first head coach to cool on a player!

To be clear on the outset I don't know how these things work but what I suspect is the case, is this: When an athlete is offered a scholarship they probably have the opportunity to accept and commit on the spot. If they don't commit on the spot I suspect they are told to call and tell the coaches when they are ready to commit to make sure the spots are still open. Spots may not be open to accespt a commitment at another time because of how recruiting is going with other recruits. Of course there are a handful of recruits that the coaches will never, not accept (yes, awkward) a commitment as long as they truly have an open scholarship (as defined by the NCAA rules). Holmgren would have been one of these.
I have some personal experience in this area. Most coaches give you 48 hours to accept the offer. Of course it is different for 4 and 5 stars but everybody else is given a time limit.

Better than him coming here and after one year ben telling him to transfer. Not sure why you think that a guy who has a bad summer and ben changes his mind on guy, why ben should still take his committment. Ben doesnt want him anymore. Not the first head coach to cool on a player!
Sure hope Ben doesn't tell some kids to transfer. Appreciated RP for not doing that to kids.

Kid struggling for a while - I guess the only kids MN takes are ON all the time. Good to know.

Top Bottom