All Things Gophers Basketball Class of 2022 Recruiting Thread

Hopefully we had cooled on Watson or otherwise this another indicator this program is an impossible sell. The Big Ten and playing time can’t compete with the allure of Ames.
I think we cooled on him significantly. He has been shaky at best this summer. Not a great summer for him but it seems more confidence related than anything. Still plenty of potential with Watson but I like our other SF targets better.

Hopefully we had cooled on Watson or otherwise this another indicator this program is an impossible sell. The Big Ten and playing time can’t compete with the allure of Ames.
im not sure how much "playing time" the gophers could have sold Watson or any other SF this cycle....for next year they still have Battle plus Fox & Ihnen who can play minutes at SF as well.....

But i am bummed....he wasnt having a great summer but he was a guy that i think had a load of potential and a guy that can certainly help a team down the road

im not sure how much "playing time" the gophers could have sold Watson or any other SF this cycle....for next year they still have Battle plus Fox & Ihnen who can play minutes at SF as well.....

But i am bummed....he wasnt having a great summer but he was a guy that i think had a load of potential and a guy that can certainly help a team down the road
If they all stay, next year ISU will have Lewis 4*, Enaruna 4*, Blackwell 3* and Dubar 3* at SF along with a couple not rated SFs.

You can have a bunch of SF on the roster if they are versatile. This will be an interesting career to watch- time will tell if this was a miss or not.

That would be outstanding. I'm hoping for that, like most Gopher fans.

Just interesting to me that they need to take the official first. Can't commit before that. Because, clearly, they've never been to the U. No idea what we have to offer. Have never met Ben or the coaching staff properly. Makes sense ...
Good lord lol. Let the kid take his visit and commit the way he wants to.

Do you think the Iowa State coach will be interviewed on KFAN and say that Minnesota is in state recruiting for Iowa State?

How things changed with Demarion Watson over the span of 2 months is really something. Ben Johnson watched him closely over the AAU circuit, and he really struggled in all aspects of his game over multiple weekends. The evaluations changed and BJ obviously decided the fit wasn't right, and moved on.

Evaluations are fluid and change. I think in March, DW was a top priority for Johnson. That changed this summer. It sounds a lot like Carrington and Payne are virtual locks for the Gophers. The key to this class still hinges on Tre Holloman, and it's why another top guard is visiting in September. Gotta have a back-up plan if Tre picks Izzo.

A little truth serum would be really interesting right now. Obviously Ben would never say "hey we wanted him bad and didnt get him" but no one will ever really know. From the sounds of it this kid is basically Gabe 2.0. IF (a HUGE if) he regains confidence he would be a huge miss, if he never again finds the form he had at one time had will likely be a solid pass.

I think we cooled on him significantly. He has been shaky at best this summer. Not a great summer for him but it seems more confidence related than anything. Still plenty of potential with Watson but I like our other SF targets better.
He still had the offer. Does not matter if it is called a miss. The very best coach i know misses on most of his targets.

He still had the offer. Does not matter if it is called a miss. The very best coach i know misses on most of his targets.
Missing on most of your targets doesn’t seem to be a resume builder Hopefully August proved successful for this staff. Anyone not underwhelmed and a little concerned with recruiting be it transfers earlier or High School players now is probably not being honest.

Missing on most of your targets doesn’t seem to be a resume builder Hopefully August proved successful for this staff. Anyone not underwhelmed and a little concerned with recruiting be it transfers earlier or High School players now is probably not being honest.
Agreed. Those that state the gophs cooled are full of it. This is getting ridiculous. Tho someone here mentioned this coaching staff lacks hustle.

If Payne and Carrington choose to go elsewhere - then I'll be concerned. By all indications, Minnesota leads for both and they are top targets for MN. Never got the sense that they have lead at any time for King, Heide or Watson.

We all obviously want Tre to commit, but I understand that could go many ways. Will not hold that against the staff if he chooses Izzo (even though I will definitely be extremely bummed if he doesn't choose MN). They appear to have good back up plans and have gotten in early with a few players in case they need to move to plan B in September.

A little truth serum would be really interesting right now. Obviously Ben would never say "hey we wanted him bad and didnt get him" but no one will ever really know. From the sounds of it this kid is basically Gabe 2.0. IF (a HUGE if) he regains confidence he would be a huge miss, if he never again finds the form he had at one time had will likely be a solid pass.
They wouldn’t let him commit now. No truth serum needed - can’t say that publicly, but pretty clear.

Top Bottom