All Things Gophers Basketball Class of 2022 Recruiting Thread

Or they are finishing their AAU season first. They will want to take a final official visit and create a commitment video.
That would be outstanding. I'm hoping for that, like most Gopher fans.

Just interesting to me that they need to take the official first. Can't commit before that. Because, clearly, they've never been to the U. No idea what we have to offer. Have never met Ben or the coaching staff properly. Makes sense ...

Just interesting to me that they need to take the official first. Can't commit before that. Because, clearly, they've never been to the U. No idea what we have to offer. Have never met Ben or the coaching staff properly. Makes sense ...
what exactly are you mad about?

They could commit right now. Obviously the kids have chosen not to. I don’t know why specifically they have chosen not to, but shared some reasons they may be. They have both been strong gopher leans for awhile. Similar to how Heide was a Purdue lean. Again I don’t know Why Heide chose to commit and Carrington and Payne haven’t but it’s still more of the norm to commit after the AAU season than during.

If we miss the low hanging fruit because we were busy building a ladder……

For what it's worth, Amir Coffey didn't commit until late September in his senior year, after taking an official visit to Minnesota two and a half weeks prior. Jarvis Johnson had an almost identical timeline: official visit in early September, commitment a week later.

This Watson committment is going to be great. If he committs:
Camp 1: YES MN KID SEE BEN IS AMAZING, top 150 kid going to be a STUD
Camp 2: Hes been AWFUL all summer, glad we are picking up the scraps

If he goes to IA St/Vandy
Camp 1: You guys dont understand, he wasnt a priority, BJ is going to get so many top kids this one we didnt even want, shesh RELAX
Camp 2: So we hired Ben to bring in top 150 MN kids and we lost to Ia St/Vandy again? WOW he is trash.

I can already see it now, both groups can easily say their side is right no matter what happens.

They could commit right now. Obviously the kids have chosen not to. I don’t know why specifically they have chosen not to, but shared some reasons they may be. They have both been strong gopher leans for awhile. Similar to how Heide was a Purdue lean. Again I don’t know Why Heide chose to commit and Carrington and Payne haven’t but it’s still more of the norm to commit after the AAU season than during.
The problem is, when kids perceive there is no urgency- they will wait. If Purdue or other competitors for MN kids can convince the kids that they need to commit or perhaps lose the spot, they might well do so. Success breeds success and we don't have it yet. That's why filling a couple, soon, would really help in a lot of ways. Right now, everyone knows we have a ton of openings left.

Are there things basketball related that they can't do/ talk about on an unofficial that they can on an official? Not familiar enough with the process to know how important the official is.

The problem is, when kids perceive there is no urgency- they will wait. If Purdue or other competitors for MN kids can convince the kids that they need to commit or perhaps lose the spot, they might well do so. Success breeds success and we don't have it yet. That's why filling a couple, soon, would really help in a lot of ways. Right now, everyone knows we have a ton of openings left.
I agree with the urgency, but how do they created more than what they are doing? Like you said we do have a ton of open spots, so it’s hard to do. They’ve done a good job casting a wide net and being all over this summer. I really think like many others they have 2 commit soon.

I agree with the urgency, but how do they created more than what they are doing? Like you said we do have a ton of open spots, so it’s hard to do. They’ve done a good job casting a wide net and being all over this summer. I really think like many others they have 2 commit soon.
I'm not saying they can create urgency. I am only stating the situation that we are in.

1. We have not had success for many years.
2. We let all of our players go (essentially) so we have a ton of openings.
3. We have a coach without a track record.

That doesn't mean Ben is bad or anything like that, it just means that it is a tough posture to recruit from. Getting a couple of really solid recruits will help immensely and it feels like they are going to get that done.

This Watson committment is going to be great. If he committs:
Camp 1: YES MN KID SEE BEN IS AMAZING, top 150 kid going to be a STUD
Camp 2: Hes been AWFUL all summer, glad we are picking up the scraps

If he goes to IA St/Vandy
Camp 1: You guys dont understand, he wasnt a priority, BJ is going to get so many top kids this one we didnt even want, shesh RELAX
Camp 2: So we hired Ben to bring in top 150 MN kids and we lost to Ia St/Vandy again? WOW he is trash.

I can already see it now, both groups can easily say their side is right no matter what happens.
I think he leans 60% ISU and 40% Cal.

ISU is based on his post visit interview.

Cal is based on his making the announcement on Pacific Standard Time. Which seems odd otherwise.

I think he leans 60% ISU and 40% Cal.

ISU is based on his post visit interview.

Cal is based on his making the announcement on Pacific Standard Time. Which seems odd otherwise.
Per another site, he is in Las Vegas for a tournament which is probably the reason for the PST.

Per another site, he is in Las Vegas for a tournament which is probably the reason for the PST.
Good call. I think than it is hard to beat what he was saying to 247 about ISU.

Are there things basketball related that they can't do/ talk about on an unofficial that they can on an official? Not familiar enough with the process to know how important the official is.

There are actually quite a few differences between unofficial and official visits, but the primary distinction is based on who pays for the visit itself. ** On an unofficial visit, the recruit and his family are responsible for paying for all of the expenses related to their trip and time on campus. An official visit on the other hand is funded by the school who is hosting the prospective student-athlete and his family.

According to the NCAA rules, an official visit is allowed to last for no more than 48 hours. Many times, they will end up being much shorter than this, as two full days is simply the absolute maximum amount of time the visit is allowed to last.

Unofficial Visits: An unofficial visit does not have a strict time limit the same way that an official visit does, but they will generally be shorter since the burden of paying for meals and lodging falls on the prospective student-athlete and his family.

Best of luck to him. Looking forward to seeing if MN can grab Green or Byrd or if they eventually offer Ola-Joseph.

And now we wait! Fingers crossed August is a great month for Gopher basketball.

Hopefully we had cooled on Watson or otherwise this another indicator this program is an impossible sell. The Big Ten and playing time can’t compete with the allure of Ames.

Top Bottom