All Things Gophers Basketball Class of 2022 Recruiting Thread

I’m guessing 5 freshman and 2-3 transfers.
This is what I assumed. Add then add Thiam, Battle, Fox, Ihnen, Thompson coming back. Have to imagine one transfer position would be a lead guard to back up Tre. 😜

I hope we can see one, but also know that August is really, really early for a kid who hasn't even started their senior year and hasn't had a chance to visit more than a school or two.
I get Covid throws things off a bit, but when we got guys like Rodney, Royce, Oturu, I believe they had all committed long before August.

If you're talking about traditional fall freshman recruits, I don't think he needs to fill any more than 3 by the fall. There will be chances in the spring for freshmen and transfers. In the end, I suspect he doesn't bring in more than four freshman anyway.

I'm not sure how many openings the roster we'll have. Loewe, Stephens, Daniels, and Willis can't play another year (assuming they don't get hurt early in the season). I can't imagine Curry playing another year. That's five. Sutherlin, Ogele, and Fox could play the following season. If no one transfers and those three decide to play another year, there may be only five openings. Of course, there is also the 13th scholarship if Johnson decided to fill it.
I don't see why you would deliberately leave Fall spots open to recruit transfers. Yes there will be transfers to recruit, but you are also almost assured of losing 2-3 of your own guys to transfers every Spring, even before the rule change.

I get Covid throws things off a bit, but when we got guys like Rodney, Royce, Oturu, I believe they had all committed long before August.
Correct and we had Treyton Thompson commit early too. Hopefully with Bennhaving a couple years guaranteed we will see some locals commit early, but it’s still not common place.

Spring of junior ye was the norm pre covid.
For commitments? No it definitely wasn’t. Off the top of my head, September of senior year is when the plurality of our basketball commitments come in. Thompson, Oturu, and Hurt I’m fairly confident are the only players in the last decade to commit to Minnesota in Spring of junior year or earlier.

I think someone mentioned an AAU tournament or something in Indianapolis this weekend. Leaving the minor league baseball game last night, Coach Bobby Huggins walked in front of the car. Wife is huge KU fan n wanted me to run him down. No dear, ppl frown on that. Joked about it...but officer, some crazy woman was running n screaming Rock Chalk...or something. Have a great day.

Last edited:

Paying attention to who they are watching in AAU tournaments each weekend is a better indicator who they are prioritizing than old offers right now. Tre has a coach there every game, so does Payne, Carrington, Watson. Jasen Green and Miles Byrd are new-ish names, Jameel Brown, Danny Wolf, Desmond Claude, Ahjany Lee. I’m sure others I’m forgetting or don’t know. The list has narrowed of who they are focusing on.

I feel like I remember reading somewhere that they plan on taking four in this class. Might have been an interview with a recruit. Which is lower than I anticipated and I assume subject to change.
Another name to add - Jayden Pierre.

^^^ how can James tell that they're there to watch that specific player? I guess he could ask them, ha!

Is this one we are expecting? I see he's currently top 150 (take that for what it is) I assume we have been on him big time?
Latest crystal ball is to Iowa St. Others are for Vanderbilt. A commit to the gophers appears unlikely.

Hes been really bad this summer, locking up a spot before those offers disappear is whats likely happening. Its been discussed for a couple weeks on here but not sure hes even a take right now for the Gophers.

Hes been really bad this summer, locking up a spot before those offers disappear is whats likely happening. Its been discussed for a couple weeks on here but not sure hes even a take right now for the Gophers.
Facts like these still won’t stop the annoying “I thought we hired Ben to get MN kids crowd”. Going to be annoying couple of days on here

Yeah, he has not been good on all accounts. I would actually take a pass on him at this point. I think we have better targets than him as it sits currently.

With how bad he has been, I wonder who he is a take for at this point? We’ve obviously been watching him since he’s on the same team as Carrington, but wonder if ISU and Vanderbilt have or if there is another team involved. The PST announcement time is curious.

Latest crystal ball is to Iowa St. Others are for Vanderbilt. A commit to the gophers appears unlikely.
Vanderbilt crystal balls are old and the ISU came in with a very low confidence level, so nobody actually knows!

With how bad he has been, I wonder who he is a take for at this point? We’ve obviously been watching him since he’s on the same team as Carrington, but wonder if ISU and Vanderbilt have or if there is another team involved. The PST announcement time is curious.
Hes taken official visits to ISU and Vandy so I'd assume its one of them but yeah its really weird he used pacific time zone for his announcement.

Facts like these still won’t stop the annoying “I thought we hired Ben to get MN kids crowd”. Going to be annoying couple of days on here
They'll settle down in a few weeks when Carrington and Payne are committed.
Any word on who's interested from out of state / who we are strongly pursuing?

Love the confidence in Carrington and Payne. Sounds good to me.

Any word on who's interested from out of state / who we are strongly pursuing?

Love the confidence in Carrington and Payne. Sounds good to me.
Jasen Green and Myles Bird are the two at Watsons position that we are going after that I know of. Sounds like they have a shot at Brown. Wolff took an official here and is still in play I believe?

Jasen Green and Myles Bird are the two at Watsons position that we are going after that I know of. Sounds like they have a shot at Brown. Wolff took an official here and is still in play I believe?
Myles Bird is definitely one to keep an eye on. Sounds like he's visiting in August. Jayden Pierre has an offer at PG and will be visiting in September or October. Guessing that is on purpose from the staff while they await Tre's decision in September. Jameel Brown is definitely a target. I assume Wolf is still a target even if (or, I should say when) Payne commits, but not sure.

Once they gets news on Carrington and Payne, then it really narrows down to what they need. Probably a SF and of course a lead guard.

Doogie pretty much saying Watson was no longer a target for MN.

That’s funny. On his podcasts he always said the gophers wanted him really, really bad. More than Tre or seemingly any other recruit.

That’s funny. On his podcasts he always said the gophers wanted him really, really bad. More than Tre or seemingly any other recruit.
Could have been from earlier this summer before he began to really struggle

Could have been from earlier this summer before he began to really struggle
Absolutely. No doubt he was a priority at one point. But that's why they have the live evaluation period each summer and why the coaches look forward to it.

Top Bottom