All Things Gophers Basketball 2017 Recruiting Thread

Ryan James apparently isn't confident about John being a Gopher, I wonder where we'll turn our attention assuming that's the case.

Ryan James apparently isn't confident about John being a Gopher, I wonder where we'll turn our attention assuming that's the case.

Hasahn French is visiting in early October I believe. We also have an offer out to Jacob Epperson, the Aussie kid, who is early in his recruiting process, since he just moved to the states.

I'd probably rather have Epperson unless Pitino thinks Curry could be a fulltime center.

He may be right here but at different points RJ has said he was confident about Sims coming here, confident about Wright coming here. He could still be right about Wright, but no one knows what any of these 17 year olds are thinking. But whatever.

He may be right here but at different points RJ has said he was confident about Sims coming here, confident about Wright coming here. He could still be right about Wright, but no one knows what any of these 17 year olds are thinking. But whatever.
I'm thinking Wright going to Dayton + football suspensions has him thinking of getting away. Probably Cal, but that's just my own gut feeling. I'd still love to get John, but most in state kids haven't been thrilled to stay home as of late, with Hurt being the major exception (Amir probably goes to a blueblood if not for his ACL, same with Jarvis if he didn't have heart issue).

I'm thinking Wright going to Dayton + football suspensions has him thinking of getting away. Probably Cal, but that's just my own gut feeling. I'd still love to get John, but most in state kids haven't been thrilled to stay home as of late, with Hurt being the major exception (Amir probably goes to a blueblood if not for his ACL, same with Jarvis if he didn't have heart issue).

How does anything going on with the football team have anything whatsoever to do with a basketball recruit? What those 4 football players did or didn't do has no effect on Theo John's life in any sense. That's like saying a football recruit is not considering Stanford because of that swimmers horrific actions. (No I'm not implying the 4 football players did something similar. No I don't know what they actually did either.)

Also, where has it been said that Wright and John wanted go to the same university. Guessing they want play together in college because they play together in HS, is an assumption made by uninformed individuals.

Quit imposing your assumptive key factors into the recruiting process.

John and Washington were both here together this weekend right? Perhaps they got along really well?

How does anything going on with the football team have anything whatsoever to do with a basketball recruit? What those 4 football players did or didn't do has no effect on Theo John's life in any sense. That's like saying a football recruit is not considering Stanford because of that swimmers horrific actions. (No I'm not implying the 4 football players did something similar. No I don't know what they actually did either.)

Also, where has it been said that Wright and John wanted go to the same university. Guessing they want play together in college because they play together in HS, is an assumption made by uninformed individuals.

Quit imposing your assumptive key factors into the recruiting process.

It's already been mentioned that some local recruits have been turned off by the off the court issues at the U. Having 4 young football players get suspended is not a good thing. It's also been mentioned by Ryan James and others that a lot of the local recruits love playing with McKinley, whether it's in AAU or HS.

It's already been mentioned that some local recruits have been turned off by the off the court issues at the U. Having 4 young football players get suspended is not a good thing. It's also been mentioned by Ryan James and others that a lot of the local recruits love playing with McKinley, whether it's in AAU or HS.

Are you referencing the kid that decided to go to Wisconsin and then had an interview and put the university on a mini blast? If there was anyone else that referenced what's been going on at the u by a local recruit that didn't come here please inform me.

Anyway.

Very happy about Washington. And you all should be too. There is absolutely 0 downside to landing this kid. Better than Wright or Davidson per rankings, fits the "system" and seems to have a good relationship with Kimani which can help cement his status. Huge get.

Let's land Wright ! Can never have to many guards. Players are not turned off by football team. I heard it was wrestling coach. Come people crack me up with there logic.

per Marcus:

Years before he was the Gophers starting point guard on a Final Four and Big Ten title team in 1997, Eric Harris grew up in the Bronx and was a star at St. Raymond High School in New York.

Harris has followed New York City basketball and the University of Minnesota closely over the years.

So imagine his excitement when the U picked up a commitment Sunday from Bronx native Isaiah Washington, a four-star point guard from Harris' former high school.

"Everybody respects the work he put in," Harris said. "You see the progression of his game in terms of finishing with both hands and being able to create off the dribble. He can get anywhere on the court he wants to get to because of his creativity. Obviously, he has to continue to work on his jump shot and defensively he has to get better. But New Yorkers love the underdog -- people who put the work in and improve. So the city is really high on him."

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...n-continues-with-isaiah-washington/393130271/

Go Gophers!!

Isaiah's already doing some recruiting for us!!!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Isaiah's already doing some recruiting for us!!!!

Where is the full court press on John? Glad he's making a push but wish he would extend the reach a bit.

Where is the full court press on John? Glad he's making a push but wish he would extend the reach a bit.

Also, word is that Theo was really impressed with Washington when they visited together last weekend.

Just came here to post the Washington "Theo" tweet but looks like Madtown beat me to it.

Not sure how much stake you can put into a tweet from a high schooler, but.....

Also, word is that Theo was really impressed with Washington when they visited together last weekend.

It sounds like someone believes John committed. It would not surprise me if he did without making a big deal of it. This kid appears to be one of the more grounded mature recruits we have been on in a while. He's never said anything publicly to pander and has always been polite and seemingly honest about needing to do the research and make a decision that is best for him. By all external appearances, a standup guy. I'll take a dozen like that.

The question is who is "Young Sonny Vacaro" in Twitter universe. Does he know the difference between committing and visiting?

It sounds like someone believes John committed. It would not surprise me if he did without making a big deal of it. This kid appears to be one of the more grounded mature recruits we have been on in a while. He's never said anything publicly to pander and has always been polite and seemingly honest about needing to do the research and make a decision that is best for him. By all external appearances, a standup guy. I'll take a dozen like that. The question is who is "Young Sonny Vacaro" in Twitter universe. Does he know the difference between committing and visiting?

I'm 90% sure that Young Sonny Vacaro is also RichmondInsider.

Theo John and McKinley Wright to announce their decisions tomorrow.

Theo John and McKinley Wright to announce their decisions tomorrow.

Word is that McKinley was almost 100% lock for us before Washington committed. Thus McKinley had his heart broken. I can't see Theo committing to Minnesota at a joint announcement with McKinley. I think McKinely goes Dayton and Theo goes Marquette. Hopefully we get French.

Word is that McKinley was almost 100% lock for us before Washington committed. Thus McKinley had his heart broken. I can't see Theo committing to Minnesota at a joint announcement with McKinley. I think McKinely goes Dayton and Theo goes Marquette. Hopefully we get French.

Sounds like Washington disagrees with you. [emoji1]

Sounds like Washington disagrees with you. [emoji1]

Are you referring to that tweet up above where he answered a follower's question? The follower meant visit, not commit. In an earlier tweet, Isaiah was actually actively recruiting French to Minnesota.

Are you referring to that tweet up above where he answered a follower's question? The follower meant visit, not commit. In an earlier tweet, Isaiah was actually actively recruiting French to Minnesota.

Because we wont have another transfer at the end of this year? At least 1 player will move on I'd bet. (not saying I want that but that is how college basketball works now days)

I don't feel sorry at all if that's the case. Kid had an eternity to commit here.

I don't feel sorry at all if that's the case. Kid had an eternity to commit here.

Agreed. Local kids need to start realizing they don't have a guaranteed spot with the Gophers. Illikainen and McKinley are great examples of that. Gophers ended up with Jordan Murphy and now Isaiah Washington instead. Not bad.

Top Bottom