All Things Gophers Basketball 2017 Recruiting Thread

Ryan James with the scoop:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Harris is a 3 star on Rivals and Scout and a 4 star on ESPN. Listed offers from Alabama, Creighton and Seton Hall in addition to Minnesota.

From something called Phenom Hoops Report:

"Minnesota is the latest to offer the 2017 @RivalsNation PG Wabissa Bede."

Ryan James seemed to confirm it by tweeting that Minnesota has been scouting Bede for a few months.

From something called Phenom Hoops Report:

"Minnesota is the latest to offer the 2017 @RivalsNation PG Wabissa Bede."

Ryan James seemed to confirm it by tweeting that Minnesota has been scouting Bede for a few months.

Thanks for posting that. It's interesting that we're all of the sudden offering more and more PGs, after recently having Washington visit, and obviously Wright visit a few times. Certainly hope this doesn't mean we're not as confident with landing one of these two as we apparently felt a few weeks ago.

Go Gophers!!

Not directly Gopher related, but Illinois got a commit from 2017 5-star center Jeremiah Tilmon today.

Not counting Trent who is going to Duke, i talked with several coaches at peach jam who think that Davison is the best guard in the state in his class. Ask yourself if you respect the evaluations that Greg Gard does, since he has been the lead UW recruiter for 12 years, or the Pitino staff ? Time will tell as it always does but my own observation of these players over dozens of games is that NR and Davison will continue what UW has been doing. What matters more is what Pitino gets done with what he does get. His recruiting of Mason and MURPHY are very impressive as some awfully successful coaches wanted them. His coaching is behind his recruiting which is a scary thought.

Not counting Trent who is going to Duke, i talked with several coaches at peach jam who think that Davison is the best guard in the state in his class. Ask yourself if you respect the evaluations that Greg Gard does, since he has been the lead UW recruiter for 12 years, or the Pitino staff ? Time will tell as it always does but my own observation of these players over dozens of games is that NR and Davison will continue what UW has been doing. What matters more is what Pitino gets done with what he does get. His recruiting of Mason and MURPHY are very impressive as some awfully successful coaches wanted them. His coaching is behind his recruiting which is a scary thought.

You mean they think he is better than McKinley Wright.

Not all. But UW, Michigan, Northwestern, the KU staff , the Washington staff and the USC staff. Saul Phillips loves Davison. Arkansas likes Wright more. Much of it is how you want to play, style. I just remain convinced that you can not move into the elite in the conference unless you adhere to lockdown defense and efficiency at a high level on offense. That requires getting a high percentage look on every trip. That is exactly what Davison brings to the table day one.

Do gopher fans post on badger board?

Obviously gard. I have little faith in Ricky at the moment but with that said he prefers different players. I think Davidson is a miss but not huge miss.

While I'd take wins and success I find swing offense painful to watch. Pitino is Chasing more athletes

Not sure it's right strategy but it's what we have

not typical college fan as i have season tickets for both UW, UM as well as UVA and UCLA. I support the U financially more than UW and for longer.

not typical college fan as i have season tickets for both UW, UM as well as UVA and UCLA. I support the U financially more than UW and for longer.

Makes sense. I haven't posted here long and surprised at badger and the one ndsu fan.

I should give benefit of doubt before I judge I guess

Respect your desire to prefer a different style . Just wonder about the overall method of defining athleticism. Some really wonderful coaches have valued some intangibles into the normal equation with tremendous results. For example instead of just raw quickness they factor in reaction time, anticipation. Jumping not just apex but when you jump and dont. Thinking well is valued. Reach over height. Love great athleticism but it must come with skill and character. Never compromise on character.

I'll take Pitino and staff. I'd take Wright over Davison and definitely for the Gophers. Gophers need a PG who can push the ball and Wright does that as well as many other things. Davison is much more of a combo guard who the Gophers were more interested in recently mainly because of the shooter he has become. The top 4 targets for the Gophers are still on the board. The Gophers will be a much more complete team and a much better team this season.

thanks. we all fall into judging others. I am starving for the U to succeed at sports and i am sick of the way the athletic department has been run for 50 years. The way and whom have been hired is a complete failure not counting hockey and wrestling.

Respect your desire to prefer a different style . Just wonder about the overall method of defining athleticism. Some really wonderful coaches have valued some intangibles into the normal equation with tremendous results. For example instead of just raw quickness they factor in reaction time, anticipation. Jumping not just apex but when you jump and dont. Thinking well is valued. Reach over height. Love great athleticism but it must come with skill and character. Never compromise on character.

I'm not disagree. Sconi has largely value skill over raw athletic ability. They find under radar kids and develop. I'm not sure mn can get kids to run system.

Mn ball is dumpster fire. Hopefully new facilities will help. Still not sure if Rick is guy. Like our new AD to get us on track if he isn't

I'll take Pitino and staff. I'd take Wright over Davison and definitely for the Gophers. Gophers need a PG who can push the ball and Wright does that as well as many other things. Davison is much more of a combo guard who the Gophers were more interested in recently mainly because of the shooter he has become. The top 4 targets for the Gophers are still on the board. The Gophers will be a much more complete team and a much better team this season.

I hope they've reached bottom

Maybe Pitino will get it done. Just have not seen anything built around a identity that you hang your hat on daily. New AD has a much deeper pool of contacts that he can call on. Previous AD was all smoke and mirrors.

Sconny has a very ugly style of ball that values discipline over athletic skills. It has proven to be quite successful over the last several years as long as they get the gritty players. They have not been able to recruit the extremely athletic player and those types of players would not fit the system. It is a good fit for UW because it fits the type of players that they can get. Pitino has a different style that he hopes will help him compete for the upper tier recruits once it gets going. We will see if it works out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sconny has a very ugly style of ball that values discipline over athletic skills. It has proven to be quite successful over the last several years as long as they get the gritty players. They have not been able to recruit the extremely athletic player and those types of players would not fit the system. It is a good fit for UW because it fits the type of players that they can get. Pitino has a different style that he hopes will help him compete for the upper tier recruits once it gets going. We will see if it works out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They've had plenty of athletic talent the past few years but yes they do slow it down a bit.

North Carolina recruits super athletes and can play their stupid, yet fast style of ball they play. We oooo and ahhh over athleticism when that style likely won't work here. We don't have the elite athletes. Baylor, Iowa State, West Virginia might be decent targets to shoot for but I'm not sure I see us getting there as Pitino's time is running out.

Wait how does Sconnie have an ugly style? They can all pass and can all shoot? They don't play super fast, that shouldn't be construed as ugly though.

Ugly is a team shooting 30 percent from the field. Wisconsin is typically one of the more efficient teams in the country.

Pitino's style doesn't work because it is predicated on pressing and picking up the tempo. It's hard to press if you can't make shots and it's hard to increase the tempo if you can't get stops and/or rebound.

Wait how does Sconnie have an ugly style? They can all pass and can all shoot? They don't play super fast, that shouldn't be construed as ugly though.

Ugly is a team shooting 30 percent from the field. Wisconsin is typically one of the more efficient teams in the country.

Pitino's style doesn't work because it is predicated on pressing and picking up the tempo. It's hard to press if you can't make shots and it's hard to increase the tempo if you can't get stops and/or rebound.

Can't disagree with any of that. Though I wouldn't pay the Badgers a compliment even if they paid me to. And yes, it is so underrated how important shot-making is in controlling tempo. You can't just throw on a press and call yourself a high tempo team. Have to string together 2-3 straight offensive possessions that end in made baskets so you can actually use the press to increase tempo.

Wait how does Sconnie have an ugly style? They can all pass and can all shoot? They don't play super fast.

"Wisconsin doesn't play super fast" is a huge understatement. Looking through the last decade of stats, I think I counted only one occasion where they were not among the 20 slowest teams nationally. They were in the bottom 10 in possessions per game multiple times, including two back to back seasons as the slowest team in the country.

My understanding is that if you have superior athletes/talent, you want to play faster, because if your offense is generating more points per possession than your opponent's, then playing faster and creating more possessions allows you create a wider score gap than if you slow it down. I wonder if Wisconsin's tendency to always play like an underdog means they have to recruit like one, because the elite prospects are less interested in that style of play.

Badgers are slow and ugly.

They hang onto the ball forever. Have you seen a game when the shots dont fall? It's brutal.

Again, I'd take their brutal style and their wins any day if I could.

Top Bottom