All Things Gopher Baseball

The issue is you are not competing with the North Carolina's, Arizona States, and Oregon's They are a destination baseball power and the U is not. You need to get more of the right MN kid (more Bateman's) and not miss on many of the wrongs ones that have great club numbers but can't handle failure when they run up against it in college. The U has always counted on kids taking the home town discount to stay and play at MN but the U has not got a great reputation for winning.
They used to get 2-3 kids from a Barrington or several other areas and they would be contributing players on a decent team. That has went away in the last 4-5 years. Seems like they target the top 2-3 LHP arms in the class and then go from there.
We are not recruiting against the top of the top 25 we are fighting Creighton, Xavier, Bradley, NDSU and South Dakota State for the same players. The last 4-5 years the top kids are leaving and going to much better programs than the U and doing well. Its good for MN baseball but not great for the U of MN.
We definitely compete some against those teams for recruits but those are more guys Minnesota is trying to get without aid and those other programs with the exception of Creighton who is a pretty solid program are offering aid. Look at this years class and the other schools considered you have Notre Dame, Washington, Illinois, Northwestern, Indiana, Dallas Baptist, Wichita State, USC, UCSB, Purdue, Arizona, Michigan, Duke, Kentucky, Maryland, etc. It might not be the perennial top 10-20 programs but a lot of really good baseball programs in there.

It's a joke how seldom the Big Ten Network shows baseball each spring. Look at the SEC and ACC networks and they have baseball on every day of the weekend. Full in-depth coverage.
Instead of baseball games, Big Ten Network viewers get a steady diet of 15-30 year old football games.

Jared Lessman (a left-handed pitcher from my neck of the woods) and right across the border in St. Croix Falls just committed to Louisville. He pitched at Iowa Western this past season. These are the types of kids we're missing out on if we want to turn this program around....going to a powerhouse program while sitting in out back yard. Bummer.

Can't read this. What does it say?

Mostly just that he was looking for big season but was derailed by a concussion (his second) and never got back on the field. He says he's disappointed he has to transfer but is looking forward to his final season. Doesn't say where he is transferring to.

Wilhite will play his extra year at Ball State. So far 3 of our transfers have committed and the schools are Ball State, Oral Roberts, and St. Cloud State.

Number of returning guys not listed. I know Becker and Culliver for sure are playing in a couple of these leagues so that would lead me to believe neither will be back.

MN kid, Nebraska has way too many guys committed/coming in. Sleeper won't be the last "decommit"

Love the hire KU made, but I gotta think Ireland thought he'd be transferring up not down.
Probably a good thing for us that you look and there really is only maybe 1 guy you could say upgraded and that would be Stanke and Houston hasn't been great lately either.
All these kids transfers are defiantly up from where they came from...

All these kids transfers are defiantly up from where they came from...
Even with how bad the Gophers have struggled the last couple years they are a better program than a number of these places, just check that Minnesota/Kansas box score last spring.

Meyer got the call to the bigs and now we will see how long Vavra has to wait for Baltimore, really solid season again at AAA and has to be close.

Jared Lessman (a left-handed pitcher from my neck of the woods) and right across the border in St. Croix Falls just committed to Louisville. He pitched at Iowa Western this past season. These are the types of kids we're missing out on if we want to turn this program around....going to a powerhouse program while sitting in out back yard. Bummer.
Don't normally reply to my own post, but we just lost another kid from right across the border from the same high school as above. Brayden Olson a RHP from St. Croix Falls (WI) just committed to Purdue. I don't know how accurate high school stats are, and I know they play some pretty lousy competition, but he supposedly didn't give up an earned run the entire season. 90+ fastball.

Are we even recruiting these guys?

Don't normally reply to my own post, but we just lost another kid from right across the border from the same high school as above. Brayden Olson a RHP from St. Croix Falls (WI) just committed to Purdue. I don't know how accurate high school stats are, and I know they play some pretty lousy competition, but he supposedly didn't give up an earned run the entire season. 90+ fastball.

Are we even recruiting these guys?
Don't think they were after Lesseman and despite him committing to Louisville I'm good with that decision.
Olson I know they had interest in at one time but I think the 23 class has become tight on remaining spots and there are other guys who are higher priority.

Sam Hunt to Gophers!!!!!
Big get. At one time I had heard it was between Minnesota and Clemson. Hunt redshirted at Vandy last year but was the #356 player in the country and 31st catcher by perfect game coming out of high school.

Top Bottom