All Things Gopher Baseball

Cmon where's the schedule? I'm jonsing for some college baseball!

I looked at Florida Atlantic and u can get a conference pass for about $7 a game!

Here are the 2021 records and RPI for the non-conference opponents:

Florida Atlantic, 32-25, 57
Florida Gulf Coast, 28-20, 73
Indiana State, 31-21, 38
Saint Thomas, DII
South Dakota State, 15-32, 246
West Virginia, 25-27, 75
Kansas, 30-27, 64
Notre Dame, 34-13, 5
North Dakota State, 39-19, 91
Air Force, 26-22, 56
Creighton, 24-15, 115
Western Illinois, 11-29, 261
Nebraska-Omaha, 22-25, 214

Looks like a definite downgrade of the non-conference schedule from what we've seen the past few years pre-COVID. But considering the way the 2021 season went sideways that's probably a good thing. Can't wait for February!

We are super excited to see the team back in action with all the new talent ons board.

Gopher practices started and going well. 30 days til 1st game!
As I'm somewhat of a casual observer of the program, is the general thought that last year was an anomaly, or are we in for a rough season again?

Looks to me like the pitching staff is great and not sure of the batting yet. Next few weeks will tell a lot.

Found a Gopher preview with Coach on youtube. Also read the D1baseball preview and they have the Gophers in the bottom 3rd of the conference but do say they have a lot of bounceback candidates which could push them much higher up the standings.

Tucker Novotny no longer listed on the roster. Anyone know what the situation is there? Disappointing he was a guy I expected to make an impact.
Bennett Theisen added back onto the roster now.

Looks to me like the pitching staff is great and not sure of the batting yet. Next few weeks will tell a lot.
Interested in your thoughts as to who is going to stand out on the pitching staff? The Gophers have a pile of pitchers on the roster.

Well looks like the Thursday starters for the 1st simulated game are Schoeberl and Rooney.
Then Saturday is maybe Ireland, Maldonado, Massey?
Then Sunday is Clausen, Liffrig.

Relievers look to be Semb, Malec, Klassen.

Klassen is my pick to be a world beater but after not throwing for a year they surely will go very slow with him. 98 in workouts.

Lots of sorting to do but those are my guesses.

Well looks like the Thursday starters for the 1st simulated game are Schoeberl and Rooney.
Then Saturday is maybe Ireland, Maldonado, Massey?
Then Sunday is Clausen, Liffrig.

Relievers look to be Semb, Malec, Klassen.

Klassen is my pick to be a world beater but after not throwing for a year they surely will go very slow with him. 98 in workouts.

Lots of sorting to do but those are my guesses.
Thanks for your imput.

Interested in your thoughts as to who is going to stand out on the pitching staff? The Gophers have a pile of pitchers on the roster.
Looking like Ireland and Maldonado are the top 2 guys right now. Liffrig and Holetz are both veterans that have had solid moments. Semb is a big pickup may end up closing. Malec and Clausen are the two freshmen who should contribute. Sounds like Massey could really rebound this year. Culliver and Schoeberl both have some experience and should have roles. Skoro and DeLuga have changed a few things and have heard DeLuga looks much different than last season. Klassen has been absolutely electric but like Good KNight mentioned he will be on a very tight pitch count probably at least until conference play. Klassen probably gives 1 inning a weekend through non-con, maybe the opener type philosophy the Rays use?

Malec was very good in HS last year. Saw him hitting low to mid 90s consistently and was controlling games against other D1 prospects. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do.

Top Bottom