All Things Fashion

Nokomis

Nothing To Say
Reaction score
Lots of talk about cargo shorts in some of the more heady threads. So I thought I'd lighten the mood around here with an all things fashion thread. What are some of your tips, go-to staples, faux pas, songs about fashion, etc? I'll start things off with my personal no-nos.

Top 5 things you'll never see on Nokomis:
1. Pleated khakis
2. Cargo shorts/pants
3. Denim shorts
4. A goatee
5. Sandals when not at the beach

ME to my wife the other night: What do you think about pink shorts?
WIFE: I like them.
ME: I'm going to buy some.
WIFE: No.

I wear Cargo shorts. I will die on that hill if I have to.
I agree with everything Les said above.
If I'm working on anything, I need to wear a T-shirt under my T-shirt so I can tuck one in. Nobody wants to see my plumber's crack.
Unless I'm sleeping in a room that is under 60 degrees, I hate flannel pants. Even if I'm just lounging around I feel like a complete waste.
For some reason, I shirts and sweatshirts that hug high on my neck (only in winter time).
Anyone who wears a baseball hat without folding the bill and/or taking off the tag should be shunned from civilized society.

ME to my wife the other night: What do you think about pink shorts?
WIFE: I like them.
ME: I'm going to buy some.
WIFE: No.
My wife bought me red shorts a few years ago for Christmas. She asked if I was going to wear them. I said no. She then took out another pair in black. She tried.

Flat brimmed hats are almost as bad as pleated slacks.

No-show socks are the best in the summer, sorry Les. Edit: I thought no show socks were something else. My wife let me know what they are. Yes, they suck. Tried them once and they didn't come close to staying on.

Wife beaters are fine if you plan on being arrested.

I put on my camo cargo shorts today in honor of Nokomis.

Last edited:

Flat-brimmed hats are about all that immediately comes to mind.

Cargo shorts? Some are fine, some are more questionable than others. If you can get by without them being overly bulky, I can live with it. I only have one or two pair and don't wear them a lot. I'm just not a fan of carrying a lot of shit on my person.

Not a big fan of undershirts at all, but in recent years, Tommy John (which is the best underwear on the planet, I'd highly HIGHLY recommend) has come out with some under shirts for under dress shirts, etc that are super thin and damn comfortable. In general I'm not a fan of multiple layers but the TJ under shirt options are really solid.

Flat-brimmed hats are about all that immediately comes to mind.

Cargo shorts? Some are fine, some are more questionable than others. If you can get by without them being overly bulky, I can live with it. I only have one or two pair and don't wear them a lot. I'm just not a fan of carrying a lot of shit on my person.

Not a big fan of undershirts at all, but in recent years, Tommy John (which is the best underwear on the planet, I'd highly HIGHLY recommend) has come out with some under shirts for under dress shirts, etc that are super thin and damn comfortable. In general I'm not a fan of multiple layers but the TJ under shirt options are really solid.
I could check myself...but how much do they run?

I could check myself...but how much do they run?
Tommy John is not cheap, unfortunately. But you can usually use promo codes to get good discounts. Cowherd endorses them and always has a promo somewhere. But the underwear is the best I've ever had and have never looked back. Been wearing their Go Anywhere trunks for 2-3 years and they are just plain fantastic. Everything they are advertised to be.

Off the top of my head, the trunks I buy are $20-$22 each and the shirts are more than that.

No Crocs
No ear buds
No Man Bun
No long sleeved shirts, worn under a sweater
(I love cargo shorts)

Wearing cargo shorts right now. When I was in HS/college, Abercrombie was THE place. They still sell cargo shorts there, and I still buy them there. Shame me if you'd like.

I would say a big no-no is wearing sweat pants in public. The kids these days seem to wear them everywhere. You look like you're wearing pajamas.

About 10 years ago, for Christmas my wife bought me the ugliest piece of clothing I've ever owned, including my Gopher Zubbaz that I won in a raffle at Joe Sensor's with Nokomis & TikiTed.

It was a sleeveless, Ed Hardy, hoodie, with a shoelace tie in front, and a motherloving dragon across the back that bled over the shoulder onto the front. My wife is from the Dominican Republic, so she has bad taste in clothes. I opened it & she said "This is what all the Reggaeton rappers are wearing in my country. Put it on!"

EdHardy3.jpg

Oh, I did purchase the pink shorts, by the way.

About 10 years ago, for Christmas my wife bought me the ugliest piece of clothing I've ever owned, including my Gopher Zubbaz that I won in a raffle at Joe Sensor's with Nokomis & TikiTed.

It was a sleeveless, Ed Hardy, hoodie, with a shoelace tie in front, and a motherloving dragon across the back that bled over the shoulder onto the front. My wife is from the Dominican Republic, so she has bad taste in clothes. I opened it & she said "This is what all the Reggaeton rappers are wearing in my country. Put it on!"

View attachment 8307
Hahaha, yes! If I recall, you were wearing this hoodie the night you won the zubaz. It's how I spotted you.

View attachment 8307
Wear that in Vegas and let's roll.

I prefer to wear Sergio Tacchini this time of year!

Probably the old tennis player in me that likes it.

Cargo shorts seem to be a big debate in America cause I remember a certain Jehne from Arizona who moaned about them on a Morrissey forum one summer years ago. I suspect it is what socks men wear with them that decides if it looks good or not and the shoes of course.
Not to mention the state of the legs.

I got a couple hats over the weekend as birthday gifts. One flat, one curved. I definitely like the flat-billed hat better, just based on pure mechanics. My peripheral vision is obstructed with the curved bill, and my sunglasses fit better under the flat bill. Plus I think it makes me look younger. So my vote is flat-billed.

I got a couple hats over the weekend as birthday gifts. One flat, one curved. I definitely like the flat-billed hat better, just based on pure mechanics. My peripheral vision is obstructed with the curved bill, and my sunglasses fit better under the flat bill. Plus I think it makes me look younger. So my vote is flat-billed.
copilot-style-201503-1427733078025_curvedbrim_0003_452872654.jpg

We need clarification for the final ruling on the flat billed hat. You going over-the-ears, or behind-the- ears?

over the ears flat billed.jpg

Top Bottom