All Things Dawson Garcia Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020): UPDATED: Gophers Offered

Is this a "premium" thing, at the moment? All I see on his Twitter is him tweeting the GI announcement of him entering the portal.

Without a subscription you can still click the comments of that article. It won't show the original comments, but will show replies (that also include the original comment). A lot of replies are basically guaranteeing it to happen. Not official, just word of mouth for now.

kerwin expected in the portal soon too.

If both Dawson and Kerwin become gophers, are we celebrating? are people thinking this would be huge as in XXXXL, just L, or even a M?
A reason to be pleased, but as a Gopher fan, I need to see the downside that they are on downward trajectories in their careers, or the staff isn't prepared to coach higher level talent. Something has to go wrong.:unsure:

Without a subscription you can still click the comments of that article. It won't show the original comments, but will show replies (that also include the original comment). A lot of replies are basically guaranteeing it to happen. Not official, just word of mouth for now.
Indeed! Thank you.

Here it is (I am not a subscriber):

9FrSGW0.png

kerwin expected in the portal soon too.

If both Dawson and Kerwin become gophers, are we celebrating? are people thinking this would be huge as in XXXXL, just L, or even a M?
XXL - Dawson is legit. He had a really good freshman year at Marquette and was playing. a lot at UNC. Kerwin had a really good freshman year at UNC, and then the new coach shortened the bench (he's still a really good player). Neither of them has to come in and be the solo star, as they get added to some good players in Battle and Ihnen, Payne will likely be really good but now with less pressure with Garcia here, and Fox will be good as well. Also, the other three freshman have skill to contribute but with less pressure now as well. Provides a strong nucleus and they are bringing in McIntosh from Elon I saw on James' Twitter page - he's a good player as well. Will be fun to see how the team develops. The good news is that each of the guys Ben brought in last year to play improved, so they will put players in good position to be successful.

Iowa St is a very easy drive.

Yes, it is.

I just read the passage from the NCAA that was posted. It's important to look at the words. The passage referred to a number of factors that are "guidelines" not "rules." It did say that these guidelines are to be used affirmatively, meaning that the decision maker should lean towards granting the waiver when one of them is present. The one about the 100 mile radius reads as follows:

The school is within a 100-mile radius of the immediate family member’s home, which demonstrates the ability for the student-athlete to provide regular, ongoing care. Previously, no distance limitation was in place.

I read this as a school within a 100 mile radius establishes a prima facie case for granting the family illness/injury waiver. So, U of M (or St. Thomas) would be the easiest D1 transfer institution for meeting the family illness waiver.

Yes .......... it's a guideline.

It would seem extraordinary for him to claim that he would be providing "regular, ongoing caregiving responsibilities", regardless. Even from Dinkytown to Prior Lake, is no small trip. And the emotional toll that providing that would take .... it seems far fetched to even go down this path while attempting to be a full time P5 basketball player and student.

I don't think you have to demonstrate any of those other things if the school is within 100 miles of your home.

I think Garcia and/or Walton are a big deal. Do i think they are going to come in and make us B1G favorites, absolutely not, but they are a strong infusion of pure basketball talent. I think of it like this, we would replace Curry (who we all love as a kid/competitor) who was on 1 leg at most, a 4min per game SFA and a freshman who wasnt ready with a kid who put up 13-7 as a freshman in the very good Big East. Suddenly we go up against a TJD and we have a guy who is equally talented, we have another guy who could take over a game, take pressure off a Battle or open up the court for other guys. That was certainly some of what hurt this year, Willis/Loewe/Stephens shot well for the shots they got, imagine if we have a 15ppg guy at PF/C, those guys probably all get a bump in shooting %. Furthermore, I dont see a team with Battle/Garcia/Walton/etc getting last in the league, thats big just for the future, hey our record is improving, that helps with Winter/Chatman further down the line.

I think Garcia and/or Walton are a big deal. Do i think they are going to come in and make us B1G favorites, absolutely not, but they are a strong infusion of pure basketball talent. I think of it like this, we would replace Curry (who we all love as a kid/competitor) who was on 1 leg at most, a 4min per game SFA and a freshman who wasnt ready with a kid who put up 13-7 as a freshman in the very good Big East. Suddenly we go up against a TJD and we have a guy who is equally talented, we have another guy who could take over a game, take pressure off a Battle or open up the court for other guys. That was certainly some of what hurt this year, Willis/Loewe/Stephens shot well for the shots they got, imagine if we have a 15ppg guy at PF/C, those guys probably all get a bump in shooting %. Furthermore, I dont see a team with Battle/Garcia/Walton/etc getting last in the league, thats big just for the future, hey our record is improving, that helps with Winter/Chatman further down the line.
Well said, but think you are missing Fox in your breakdown. He was highly sought after last year in the portal. If he is anything close to the player teams seemed convinced he was going to be he will be a massive boost for this team next year as well.

In a lot of ways it is like we already have one transfer on board with him since he never actually played last year.

Well said, but think you are missing Fox in your breakdown. He was highly sought after last year in the portal. If he is anything close to the player teams seemed convinced he was going to be he will be a massive boost for this team next year as well.

In a lot of ways it is like we already have one transfer on board with him since he never actually played last year.
Fox is going to be like our Jared Vanderbilt, doing a lot of the dirty work that doesn't always show up in the boxscore. Could lead the team in rebounds and blocks, Garcia and Battle will score a lot like DLO and ANT.

The committee just takes turns spinning the NCAA Wheel of Random Decisions.
Yep, would be the most Minnesota sports thing in the world for him to commit here and not get a medical hardship even though based on everything going on with him it would seem like a slam dunk.

Then after denying his medical hardship waiver here they would proceed to grant him one to play at Duke. :)

Don't know anything about that site but I wouldn't put a ton of stock into it being fully accurate. For fun I clicked on Ohio State and I find it very hard to believe that the only NIL deal Chris Olave has is one with Cameo.
Was thinking the same thing. I think they count on users inputting in data rather than researching.

If it wasn’t for his family health issues, the program would not be in a position to land him.

Not sure thats something to cheer about.

Im excited if he comes here, but wish it was for different reasons. Thats hard on any kid.
I am referring to MNVCGUY. He didnt like tourney talk, and now this.....

Top Bottom