All Things Dawson Garcia Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020): UPDATED: Gophers Offered

did Willis return excite people?

I don't remember
He played SO much better than I thought he would. I thought he would probably be our 3rd, maybe 4th option.

Insane thing to me was how much his game improved. He shot 38% (36% 3PT) here before, and improved to 46% (40% 3PT) at College of Charleston, where he averaged 13 PPG.

I figured jumping back up to the B10 from a low major, he would regress in all categories. Maybe average 10-11 PPG, 41% shooting/38% 3PT. Instead he was an even better player in the B10 than he was at CoC. He improved in nearly every category (PTS/REBS/3PT%/STL/AST).

Lotta respect for him and the work he put in, as well as how Ben put him in a position to succeed.

He played SO much better than I thought he would. I thought he would probably be our 3rd, maybe 4th option.

Insane thing to me was how much his game improved. He shot 38% (36% 3PT) here before, and improved to 46% (40% 3PT) at College of Charleston, where he averaged 13 PPG.

I figured jumping back up to the B10 from a low major, he would regress in all categories. Maybe average 10-11 PPG, 41% shooting/38% 3PT. Instead he was an even better player in the B10 than he was at CoC. He improved in nearly every category (PTS/REBS/3PT%/STL/AST).

Lotta respect for him and the work he put in, as well as how Ben put him in a position to succeed.
His production in his first run here was depressed by nagging injuries he had for most of the season. Many people forget that. Even accounting for that, he performed way beyond expectations on his return.

Not sure how that tweet couldn't be viewed as a strong indication that he is more than likely coming here.
If he doesn’t I will cry for months. This is the type of thing that will literally change an entire program. No matter what anyone says, Garcia is a gamechanger and a superstar. A lineup of him battle and fox will get us in the tournament easil.

I feel like at one point we could input meme's but I cant figure it out ha, anyway I would put in The Office scene OK OMG ITS HAPPENING NOBODY PANIC!

This is going to be a really really tough blow if he picks Iowa St/Wisc/Iowa. I hate to be optimistic about MN sports because that tends to make things worse but the lack of commits to date would make a ton more sense if Garcia and/or Walton were locked into spots. To rob from others GIDJ!!

If he doesn’t I will cry for months. This is the type of thing that will literally change an entire program. No matter what anyone says, Garcia is a gamechanger and a superstar. A lineup of him battle and fox will get us in the tournament easil.
I hope he is all good mentally. I know he went through a lot this year

Star or not that front court would be a complete 180 from this past season and would make that a strength of the team instead of a massive weakness. Battle, Fox, and Garcia starting...Ihnen, Thopson and Payne coming off the bench.

Add some quality guards to go along with those guys and it is not crazy to think this team could qualify for the tournament next season.

BJ needs to reel in a quality PG transfer which could sweeten the deal for Garcia. The program needs a boost and what a great push if he stays home.

Star or not that front court would be a complete 180 from this past season and would make that a strength of the team instead of a massive weakness. Battle, Fox, and Garcia starting...Ihnen, Thopson and Payne coming off the bench.

Add some quality guards to go along with those guys and it is not crazy to think this team could qualify for the tournament next season.
Wow.

Just
Wow.

All this from the 5 year plan man! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I feel like at one point we could input meme's but I cant figure it out ha, anyway I would put in The Office scene OK OMG ITS HAPPENING NOBODY PANIC!

This is going to be a really really tough blow if he picks Iowa St/Wisc/Iowa. I hate to be optimistic about MN sports because that tends to make things worse but the lack of commits to date would make a ton more sense if Garcia and/or Walton were locked into spots. To rob from others GIDJ!!

Click the 3 dots, "media", then link the GIF.

BJ needs to reel in a quality PG transfer which could sweeten the deal for Garcia. The program needs a boost and what a great push if he stays home.
I think that if you get Garcia first (like today would be fine), you will get a better PG. It's easier to sell Garcia on staying here than getting a PG to come here from elsewhere. Once we can pitch a quality roster in addition to big minutes at the point...the chances get way better.

If this really is what you think, you're likely to be disappointed. Is Garcia likely to be a game changer for a program like ours? Yes, I think so. Is he likely to be a superstar? No.

There are very few "superstars" in college basketball, at least ones that are Garcia's age. Usually, they either leave college basketball by then or they don't play college basketball at all. There aren't even that many "superstars" in the NBA. Garcia's college basketball record to date is significantly above average, but not outstanding. If he comes here, he will help a lot but don't expect Zion Williamson or Deandre Ayton production.

giphy.gif

Bracing for the Iowa State / Wisconsin announcement.
His friend and HS teammate does play at Iowa St. 3 hours difference in "proximity" though. We'll see. I can't see him going to Wisconsin. Milwaukee, Chapel Hill and back to Madison, with the losses they suffered? He's friends and was long time AAU teammate of Ben Carlson, who's not there. I could see Iowa St. though.

His friend and HS teammate does play at Iowa St. 3 hours difference in "proximity" though. We'll see. I can't see him going to Wisconsin. Milwaukee, Chapel Hill and back to Madison, with the losses they suffered? He's friends and was long time AAU teammate of Ben Carlson, who's not there. I could see Iowa St. though.
Iowa St. probably very real competition here, think you're right

If this really is what you think, you're likely to be disappointed. Is Garcia likely to be a game changer for a program like ours? Yes, I think so. Is he likely to be a superstar? No.

There are very few "superstars" in college basketball, at least ones that are Garcia's age. Usually, they either leave college basketball by then or they don't play college basketball at all. There aren't even that many "superstars" in the NBA. Garcia's college basketball record to date is significantly above average, but not outstanding. If he comes here, he will help a lot but don't expect Zion Williamson or Deandre Ayton production.
Right, less pass on him and get that guy that averages 3.4 ppg on Stephen F Austin

Bracing for the Iowa State / Wisconsin announcement.

He likely will have to get a waiver to be immediately eligible. His reasoning is being closer to home in case of critical family concerns. The fact that he left UNC in midseason to go home likely helps his cause. I don't know where the reasonable cutoff would be for "closer to home." Madison is about 4.5 hours from Prior Lake. Iowa State is barely over 3 hours.

Right, less pass on him and get that guy that averages 3.4 ppg on Stephen F Austin

Do you really think that was the intent of my post? If so, you didn't read it. I clearly said (twice) that I thought he would help a lot. I just said that you can't call him a superstar but that's OK because few college basketball teams have one.

Top Bottom