All Things COVID-19 College Football Impact

The damage is reversible in as little as 3 months.

I guess I don't understand why conducting a study and submitting it to a high-level, peer reviewed journal is considered "fear mongering". This is how science works. Studies lead to conclusions, lead to critiques, lead to more and better studies, lead to better conclusions, and so on. It's not fear mongering...it's progress. Each study brings us one step closer to real understanding.

The Twitter army poking holes in every study on the matter are absolutely helping in a way by pointing out how future studies could be improved, so they're to be applauded for taking the time to do so. They'd do even more good by next setting up better, more randomized studies on the topic with appropriate controls.

I guess I don't understand why conducting a study and submitting it to a high-level, peer reviewed journal is considered "fear mongering". This is how science works. Studies lead to conclusions, lead to critiques, lead to more and better studies, lead to better conclusions, and so on. It's not fear mongering...it's progress. Each study brings us one step closer to real understanding.

The Twitter army poking holes in every study on the matter are absolutely helping in a way by pointing out how future studies could be improved, so they're to be applauded for taking the time to do so. They'd do even more good by next setting up better, more randomized studies on the topic with appropriate controls.
It's not fear mongering, of course.

The only one trying to push that narrative is our own PE, and he's only frantically doing that because of financial reasons. The "ethics" of it are faux.

^^ hahaha, what a feeble attempt. You didn't even try, on that one.

It’s the B1G & P12 . . . Every sports reporter knew they would not have Fall football before any announcement was made. How’d they know? Politics.
Neat conspiracy theory

The MN regents shot down an attempt to open up the decision to cancel football.
No matter what the so called medical sub committee comes up with the logistics involved in playing-IF the well being of the athletes is taken into account- are very difficult.
The VA/VA Tech game was just postponed. That is the equivalent of the WI/MN game for them.
Without any proof I believe some programs are or will be ignoring the public health rules about quarantine and isolation of asymptomatic players.
There are no rules about reporting and Riley, the HC at OK, said he was not reporting who among his players has tested positive to gain an advantage.

It all comes down to this: what level of risk is "acceptable?"

For some, if no players die of covid, then anything short of that is acceptable and teams should be playing.

For others, it might be players being hospitalized.

And for others, the standard might be number of infections.

As Plato noted, we are seeing games being postponed because of infections on teams.

the odds of a player dying are very low. But, if you're a Coach or Administrator, and have some legal responsibility for the health and well-being of student athletes, you have to weigh all possibilities.

1 death, or one player who develops serious heart complications, and a school will be facing serious lawsuits and financial implications.

It's easy for a fan to ignore that. it's a lot harder for an administrator to ignore that.

It might not happen - I hope it doesn't happen. But, if an ACC or SEC player winds up in the hospital or on a ventilator, I guarantee you that every B1G administrator will be really bleepin' happy that they chose to postpone the season.

It all comes down to this: what level of risk is "acceptable?"

For some, if no players die of covid, then anything short of that is acceptable and teams should be playing.

For others, it might be players being hospitalized.

And for others, the standard might be number of infections.

As Plato noted, we are seeing games being postponed because of infections on teams.

the odds of a player dying are very low. But, if you're a Coach or Administrator, and have some legal responsibility for the health and well-being of student athletes, you have to weigh all possibilities.

1 death, or one player who develops serious heart complications, and a school will be facing serious lawsuits and financial implications.

It's easy for a fan to ignore that. it's a lot harder for an administrator to ignore that.

It might not happen - I hope it doesn't happen. But, if an ACC or SEC player winds up in the hospital or on a ventilator, I guarantee you that every B1G administrator will be really bleepin' happy that they chose to postpone the season.
Once again, a false argument of "if the player is ok with the risk to himself, that's all that matters".

False. The player can infect someone else, even though they never had any direct symptoms or illness.

I think the "big picture" here is that teams are having outbreaks and games are being postponed.

this is exactly what the B1G was worried about.

players do not have to die or wind up in ICU for covid to disrupt programs or seasons.

For me, personally, its not about risk of death or long term health consequences of the virus to the student athletes (though both risks exist), its more about pandemic control and taking the situation seriously. Everyone wants life to be normal, but sometimes your instincts betray you. Will be interesting to see if the B1G presidents bow to all this outside pressure.

For me, personally, its not about risk of death or long term health consequences of the virus to the student athletes (though both risks exist), its more about pandemic control and taking the situation seriously. Everyone wants life to be normal, but sometimes your instincts betray you. Will be interesting to see if the B1G presidents bow to all this outside pressure.
Hope they give the middle finger to everyone. That's my instinct.

Welcome the lawsuits. Gives a nice chance to make a big public statement to the rest of the country.

One can only draw very limited conclusions from the study at hand due to the factors already discussed.

If people could discuss studies like this in proper context that’s one thing, but...

One can only draw very limited conclusions from the study at hand due to the factors already discussed.

If people could discuss studies like this in proper context that’s one thing, but...
Thanks for admitting the study is not fear mongering.

PE... you agenda is getting in the way of common sense.

First - you say it isn't true
then you say - it is just some ill-conceived anecdotal comments with no supporting data
then you say - anyone can claim they are a doctor on the internet
then after it has been publish with full peer review you say - that to is subjective, misapplication of the literature, extrapolating, etc...

And you back up your latest defense by quoting some person who claims to be a doctor on the internet....

You are totally unqualified to make any interpretation of the results and backing up your conclusions by posting links to Twitter? give me a fckg break....

It is easy to find a few armchair Dr's that will make a wild guess with their opinions, that does not prove anything.

You are making an absolute fool of yourself.

🙄. From the guy posting anecdotes and saying data isn’t needed to draw conclusions. “I just know, man. It’s science. I heard it!”.

Yes, numerous credentialed cardiology experts are clearly nobodies.

Credit where it’s due - you’re persistent. Are you going to follow me around forever and ever?

🙄. From the guy posting anecdotes and sayimg data isn’t needed to draw conclusions. “I just know, man. It’s science”.

Credit where it’s due - you’re persistent. Are you going to follow me around forever and ever?
Non-response, as typical.

Keep spam-trolling your twitter twat, non-scientist non-expert opinions, please!

I’m starting to think some of you need help. Really bizarre derangement, reaction to the criticism of what you want to believe is true.

Hey Venk Murthy!! My name is Bogden, no one has every heard of me, and I've done nothing! But I'm really cool! Can I join your really cool club of denialists, if I say the right things on twitter??? Pretty please??

So do you really believe that all of the schools in the SEC, B12 and ACC are performing cardiac MRI's on all of the Covid-19 cases? The schools that wouldn't even tell the team of positive cases? The schools with thousands of Covid cases in the student population? The NFL isn't even doing it and the schools that are down playing the risks are no way doing that.

It’s not accepted practice to do cardiac MRI on asymptomatic patients that test normal otherwise, for reasons already posted and detailed in the twitter posts of the cardiology experts with a sinister agenda.

Hey Venk Murthy!! My name is Bogden, no one has every heard of me, and I've done nothing! But I'm really cool! Can I join your really cool club of denialists, if I say the right things on twitter??? Pretty please??

Case in point. This is bizarre ranting. What is wrong with you? 🤷‍♂️

^^ see. Trying to control and block science from having too much control over how medicine is performed.

That's the heart of this denialism.

Money is a big factor in this too, of course. Many cardiologist practices don't have access to an MRI machine in-house, so they have to send those patients and dollars outside, if that becomes the new norm.

Top Bottom