All Things COVID-19 College Football Impact

As of yesterday, if I'm not mistaken; approximately 26,000+ college students have tested positive across the country and not one single reported hospitalization to this point.

Pretty impressive odds. You're more likely to wrap your car around a tree on the way to campus than get significantly ill from the virus

Don't believe that right-wing $hit. I know of several at my university who were hospitalized and you probably dont have to Google too hard to find others. Young people can get really sick from Covid.

Certainly seems like he was and it's too bad that is going to be lost in the endless trying to win an argument game. I supposed it'll be seen as playing that game, but it's striking, and sad, how all these deaths and the pain suffered by families has been minimalized in all the political fighting. A hell of a lot of people have died and it's warranted no more than a shrug by some. It's just a number until a face is put on it and you find out more about the person. I guess that's the way it's always been.
Yes, there have been a lot of deaths. We are at about 190K, more than the typical flu deaths annually that are estimate at 120K. We’ll end up somewhere in the 2X range vs the normal flu. Maybe the governors should lock it down with the standard flu also.

Don't believe that right-wing $hit. I know of several at my university who were hospitalized and you probably dont have to Google too hard to find others. Young people can get really sick from Covid.
Yes, focus on the left wing $hit, run for your lives.

Yes, there have been a lot of deaths. We are at about 190K, more than the typical flu deaths annually that are estimate at 120K. We’ll end up somewhere in the 2X range vs the normal flu. Maybe the governors should lock it down with the standard flu also.

No without a vaccine soon it will be 5-10 times the deaths of typical flu season.
We are over populated anyway..

Based on what?
It's funny how everyone on the right continuously criticizes projections and estimates of deaths yet they bring out flu numbers over and over which are pure projections and estimates to downplay covid. The flu numbers are not based on testing they are estimates.

It's funny how everyone on the right continuously criticizes projections and estimates of deaths yet they bring out flu numbers over and over which are pure projections and estimates to downplay covid. The flu numbers are not based on testing they are estimates.

So it's just a guess based on nothing but your opinion. Got it.

What does data have to do with right or left?

Like I said ... if you wanted football to start on time, you never should've let students back on campus.

They don't care about anything beyond the social aspect of going to college, and they certainly aren't going to let some "hoax virus" stop their keg parties!

Like I said ... if you wanted football to start on time, you never should've let students back on campus.

They don't care about anything beyond the social aspect of going to college, and they certainly aren't going to let some "hoax virus" stop their keg parties!
That creates the obvious question of why is it safe enough to play football but not safe enough to have students on campus. Not saying your wrong but the optics for "student athletes" is bad. If they were getting a salary it would be a moot point.

That creates the obvious question of why is it safe enough to play football but not safe enough to have students on campus. Not saying your wrong but the optics for "student athletes" is bad. If they were getting a salary it would be a moot point.
Right.

I'm just stating the stark, practical reality of it. Ironic as it is, perhaps.

Fact: partying students are the direct cause of cv19 spread on campuses and postponed football games/practice/team activities.

I'm not sure salary alone would really help.

MLB and etc are playing because they worked it out with their respective player's union.

Obviously the powers that be would rather there not be a CFB players union, but it would look a lot better if they cut a deal with one... at least would make it seem like everyone made an informed choice / had a choice.

I'm not sure salary alone would really help.

MLB and etc are playing because they worked it out with their respective player's union.

Obviously the powers that be would rather there not be a CFB players union, but it would look a lot better if they cut a deal with one... at least would make it seem like everyone made an informed choice / had a choice.
At least for P5, it should be. Or maybe even a sub-set of that, should break away and have their own association.

Your data proves that no person can be infected and hospitalized by an infected college student who doesn't need to be hospitalized?

I’m so very confused as to where you will be happy. Pretend for a minute coronavirus is completely eradicated through a magical vaccine that lasts forever and protects against all mutations. Next year there is still going to be some other flu, some other cold... I second hand know an 8 year old that died from the flu 1.5 years ago. Many old people die of the flu every year. The only way nobody dies of the flu if we stop all human interaction. There is a heavy price already being paid by our children and grandchildren as it is... what exactly would make you happy?

I’m so very confused as to where you will be happy. Pretend for a minute coronavirus is completely eradicated through a magical vaccine that lasts forever and protects against all mutations. Next year there is still going to be some other flu, some other cold... I second hand know an 8 year old that died from the flu 1.5 years ago. Many old people die of the flu every year. The only way nobody dies of the flu if we stop all human interaction. There is a heavy price already being paid by our children and grandchildren as it is... what exactly would make you happy?
Man, does the fake argument about the flu get old. It just never stops. People just can't comprehend that this has nothing to do with the flu. EDIT: silly me. Of course people comprehend that this is much worse than the flu. The president knew it back in February. They just prefer to push a fake narrative.

The seasonal flu has never caused a healthy 22 year old to need a double lung transplant. Etc.

It is completely characterized. I would feel 100% fine being infected with the flu (so long as that was all I got). I would get sick, then recover, and have zero consequences after that.

That isn't necessarily true with covid. Some people continue to have non-trivial symptoms multiple months after their initial infection. That's the entire point.

"It goes through the air. That's always tougher than the touch. You don't have to touch things. Right? But the air, you just breathe the air and that's how it's passed. And so that's a very tricky one. That's a very delicate one. It's also more deadly than even your strenuous flus. This is deadly stuff."

Take one guess, as to who said that. And when they said it.

Anyone who didn't agree with him be banned from GH most likely.

How is that arbitrary? If a player tears an ACL they will miss 2 seasons. Teams like the Gophers and Buckeyes with CFP aspirations would rather focus on getting ready for next year (and staying healthy for next year - from injuries I guess I need to clarify). No one cared at Rutgers anyways. How is risk of COVID going to be lower bringing 4 different teams to an indoor stadium for a weekend than playing outdoors with only 1 team having to travel? Too many variables, no way 10 teams will agree on enough to start a season.
The Ohio State head coach wants to play as early as possible. Zero chance they don't want a season. Would guess Fleck feels the same.

Sure, you have a point: if a player tears their ACL at the beginning of a season that starts at Tgiving or early in 2021, they have a lower chance of being ready for the start of the regular fall 2021 season, than if they had torn their ACL in Sept 2020. Not a binary yes/no, but just a lower chance.

The NCAA already said that any player who plays either this fall or next spring, automatically gets an extra season and an extra year of eligibility. So, six calendar years to play five seasons.

No one can guarantee anything, except this: we will have better information in November, than we do in Oct.

I’m so very confused as to where you will be happy.

It's just having understanding for what the decision makers are struggling with. I want them to play, I think we were all super pumped for this season. Sadly the shit hit the fan. I mean the whole world has closed down in ways we have never seen. I don't have the answer, hopefully Trump is right and it just disappears.
Myself I would like to see it spread unabated in people under 30 to create a level of herd immunity but I am not in a position where I would be responsible for the repercussions of said spread...

It's just having understanding for what the decision makers are struggling with. I want them to play, I think we were all super pumped for this season. Sadly the shit hit the fan. I mean the whole world has closed down in ways we have never seen. I don't have the answer, hopefully Trump is right and it just disappears.
Myself I would like to see it spread unabated in people under 30 to create a level of herd immunity but I am not in a position where I would be responsible for the repercussions of said spread...
The universe laughs at you. Silly human, thinking you have some good idea to "control" things.

Try that, and you'd probably get a generation of people stricken with early onset alzheimers, chronic cardiovascular disease, etc. Healthcare crisis.

The universe laughs at you. Silly human, thinking you have some good idea to "control" things.

Try that, and you'd probably get a generation of people stricken with early onset alzheimers, chronic cardiovascular disease, etc. Healthcare crisis.
It's possible, I am selfish, I admit it. Your consequences are just pulled straight out of your butt, so just stop.
Glad I don't have to make the call. I honestly don't have much of a problem with how MN has been handling Covid. I am fine giving them until next summer on vaccine. I just hope my kid's school goes to at least hybrid because I do think school is important for them.

It's possible, I am selfish, I admit it. Your consequences are just pulled straight out of your butt, so just stop.
Glad I don't have to make the call. I honestly don't have much of a problem with how MN has been handling Covid. I am fine giving them until next summer on vaccine. I just hope my kid's school goes to at least hybrid because I do think school is important for them.
We don't know. That's the point.

Yes, in person school and social time is critically important. But less important than spreading a deadly virus.

Man, does the fake argument about the flu get old. It just never stops. People just can't comprehend that this has nothing to do with the flu. EDIT: silly me. Of course people comprehend that this is much worse than the flu. The president knew it back in February. They just prefer to push a fake narrative.

The seasonal flu has never caused a healthy 22 year old to need a double lung transplant. Etc.

It is completely characterized. I would feel 100% fine being infected with the flu (so long as that was all I got). I would get sick, then recover, and have zero consequences after that.

That isn't necessarily true with covid. Some people continue to have non-trivial symptoms multiple months after their initial infection. That's the entire point.

A lot of words... no answer on what exactly would make you happy. Thanks.

As of yesterday, if I'm not mistaken; approximately 26,000+ college students have tested positive across the country and not one single reported hospitalization to this point.

Pretty impressive odds. You're more likely to wrap your car around a tree on the way to campus than get significantly ill from the virus
Everyone new this would happen by last June. The healthy young have more to fear from influenza than COVID.

A lot of words... no answer on what exactly would make you happy. Thanks.
Your entire post was a fallacy about shutting down athletics because of seasonal flu.

There has never been any need to do any such thing, and never will be.

Maybe you should think about that, then reformulate your question.

We don't know. That's the point.

Yes, in person school and social time is critically important. But less important than spreading a deadly virus.

MplsGopher: "We don't know", so we must shelter in place. What a great soldier for hysterics, cowardice and darkness.

Your entire post was a fallacy about shutting down athletics because of seasonal flu.

There has never been any need to do any such thing, and never will be.

Maybe you should think about that, then reformulate your question.
The post to which I responded stated:
“Your data proves that no person can be infected and hospitalized by an infected college student who doesn't need to be hospitalized?”

My point is that although less, people still end up hospitalized and dead from the flu. You were indicating that 0 hospitalizations is the threshold for COVID. That’s why I am wondering what will make YOU happy.

Top Bottom